Topic Stats

• 744 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 days ago by russdx
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 52 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F5E1D36C-CEB9-481B-AD58-33AD125B6F31 (resized).jpeg
rejoice (resized).png
Node8FrontLowerLeftQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontLowerRightQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontUpperLeftQuadrant.jpg
Node8Back.jpg
Node8FrontLowerRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
0ABE9ED9-0EDB-4F67-9D92-D0CCA45732E7 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F7C3826F-5544-418C-B4D0-9564AAAF8868 (resized).png
stern warranty (resized).PNG
Screenshot_20190202-110400_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190202-110235_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
7D99B3D7-4F52-4953-955F-3F30AD1729CC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#319 5 months ago

From what I understand, the Spike system has a single 48 volt power supply and it feeds 48 volts to all boards. Each board has on-board voltage regulators to drop the 48 volts down to +5 and +12 for the needs of the particular board. Now if you look at what other manufacturers are doing (such as Spooky for example), they use TWO power supplies: a 48 volt one just for the coils and an additional dual output switching power supply which provides the +5 and +12 for the boards. By doing things that way, no regulators are needed on any of the boards.

The way it looks to me is that Stern is cheaping out by using one single output power supply instead of using two power supplies to power all boards.

#335 5 months ago

I could definitely see a route operator or arcade owner being apprehensive about buying a Stern "Spike" system machine. Repair costs and/or board availability would be a big concern. I wonder, if instead of having to do an outright purchase of node boards if Stern would do "repair/exchange" boards instead?

I think a more pressing thing to do now is to investigate why these boards are failing. Why are they also taking out additional boards when one fails? Maybe a power "spike" takes out a board?

I think I'll coin a new phrase, "you've been spiked" when talking about these Stern games.

#351 5 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Unless it's this version which is Spike. This version (The Pin) is what I was referring to in post #310.
[quoted image]

I'd sure like to see the inside of the backbox and the main cabinet pictures of that machine.

#394 5 months ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

FYI, current cabinet node boards work in KISS as I used the latest one when my original cabinet node board failed, they are backward compatible.

The *cabinet* node boards all seem to be pretty common to all Spike machines since they control basic functions such as tilt, start button, tournament button, shaker motor, coin door, etc. Apparently, the current cabinet node board superceeds all previous versions.

#409 5 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

CGC uses SMD boards, but I can't say that I recall seeing repeat/frequent complaints about failures from owners. The issue with Stern is that the boards seem to keep failing with alarming frequency and they aren't easily repairable.

And Chicago Gaming provides a complete manual with schematics and parts lists.

#480 5 months ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Spike is sorta like the Gottlieb system 1. Until replacement MPUs were designed, all of the games were close to un-fixable. The Rockwell spider chips had internal programing and the only supplies were on other boards.

You're right! It sure sounds like Gottlieb System 1 all over again.

#579 5 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don’t like the term “node board”
What else can we come up with?

I think this term fits it best:

"Addressable Driver Board"

#651 5 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

on spike 1 colordmd is running off the main power board and not through the spike boards.

You mean the power distribution board with all the big filter capacitors on it?

#696 5 months ago

If the cpu chip is failing alot, couldn't the board be re-designed to have a socket for that chip? Seems that would help in repairing the board. Even if you have to buy a pre-programmed chip from Stern, at least you could change out the chip yourself.

2 weeks later
#717 4 months ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

schematics this week ?

Ha, I'm laughing already. I think all we'll get from Stern is more promises.

#719 4 months ago

It's not schematics of every board or every incarnation of each board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 29.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside