Topic Stats

• 744 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by russdx
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 52 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F5E1D36C-CEB9-481B-AD58-33AD125B6F31 (resized).jpeg
rejoice (resized).png
Node8FrontLowerLeftQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontLowerRightQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontUpperLeftQuadrant.jpg
Node8Back.jpg
Node8FrontLowerRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
0ABE9ED9-0EDB-4F67-9D92-D0CCA45732E7 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F7C3826F-5544-418C-B4D0-9564AAAF8868 (resized).png
stern warranty (resized).PNG
Screenshot_20190202-110400_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190202-110235_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
7D99B3D7-4F52-4953-955F-3F30AD1729CC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 6 months ago

Unfortunately the SW I play in town also has lot a good many central playfield insert lights, could be due to the same thing. I think a node board went, it was replaced, and still the lights are out/fried?

Really unfortunate. I was hoping it was just a loose connection or something.

So much for "easy quick repairs" if you are now soldering in (?) 20+ light boards? IF that is true (and someone please chime in if it isn't) the SPIKE system is even more of a fail than I thought...

REALLY unfortunate on so many levels, and some of the Spike games so far are really good home games IMO . Not worth $1000+ Canadian repair bills IMO, so really unfortunate they did not commit to cheap low cost replacements if they were also committing to a disposable and unfused design.

#114 6 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I believe the boards for spike are internally fused. If a short is detected, they shut down. Once the short is cleared, you reboot and they come back up.

I think that is the best case scenario; others seem to have described situations where the "board" was the fuse and got taken out faster than it could shut down... but without Stern just being transparent about how they work and how they fail we are left with more speculation.

2 weeks later
#264 5 months ago

That same component was blown on multiple boards in the same game? That is nuts.

How was the diagnosis made ?

#271 5 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Basically I wired up a micro controller to the sub-node, wrote some code and sent data down to the board.
Following the MOSI traces, I tested the appropriate pins on the shift register and dual inverter on my scope.
The signal was good on the inverter input (A1) but wasn’t inverted on the output (Y1).
rd

Yikes, I was afraid things were getting that complex, but having to write your own code to test crappy boards without schematics... I am tapping out well beyond that point.

Hopefully some repair tools and "common things to do" type pinwiki repair documents are developed over the next decade or a lot of Spike games are going to end up in the trash.

Thank you for taking the time to follow up on the repair method used, I am sure it will be helpful for somebody in the future!

The SW on location in my town is missing a ton of center playfield lights, it is well beyond the owner's ability to repair it (even if he had the time, he is busy managing a large venue). And dropping $400 on a board to maybe fix it is not appealing on their end.

#327 5 months ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

If this is indeed the "way of the future" prices would have to drop dramatically and the secondary market would be nothing but junk pickers. You would see 70's/80's/90's pins skyrocket in price. How's a Bally Night Rider for 5-6K sound?

Stern will probably be selling a Knight Rider pin next year for $12K with an optional KITT front end topper for only a grand more.

Custom voices from The Hoff, clips from the show, signed and limited. Come to think of it, I kind of wan that to become real...

#356 5 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

"I've been driving without a seat belt for 20 years and have never been hurt once. You guys are suckers!"

Thread winner here. Well done

#646 5 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

When I buy my next Stern NIB, notice I said “when” and not “if”, I will buy one each of the different SAD boards installed in it, test them, ensure they work 100%.

Somebody quoted ~$2500 in replacement board costs if you wanted to get a backup for each on an average game... even IF this off by a lot and the real price is say ~$1800 due to some duplicate board designs... you really would just pay this and keep it sitting?

Go $tern on that one; you can get a halfway fun beater car for $1800, no way I would drop that much on some extra junk boards as "insurance" for a crappy design . Hell, I would feel put out just paying the tax on that purchase, but I am a cheapass (tax and shipping would be ~$300 to 400 $Canadian alone on that purchase...).

#667 5 months ago
Quoted from Bos98:

I didn’t say it wasn’t laughable!

I would; especially when I keep seeing recent buyers with a dead board stick it to the man by... buying a replacement!

Take that Stern

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside