Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
0ABE9ED9-0EDB-4F67-9D92-D0CCA45732E7 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F7C3826F-5544-418C-B4D0-9564AAAF8868 (resized).png
stern warranty (resized).PNG
Screenshot_20190202-110400_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190202-110235_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
7D99B3D7-4F52-4953-955F-3F30AD1729CC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr-pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#733 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It sucks. I like the node board concept As they are selling these things to more inexperienced newbies than ever and it’s the easiest way to “repair” games for people with little or no tech skills.
But get the price down or make them more serviceable.

I think the node board concept is a freekin disaster for everybody, but maybe stern in the short run. In the long run it probebly is a deathblow to them aswell.

A modern pinball obviously costs lots of money, which is understandable, since players expect more advanced blingies and deeper rulesets, but there is no reason to rely on small series of non easily replaceable electronics.

If the pinball manufacturers wishes to survive and ask the customers to bare the costs of theese wonderful machines. Playfields need to last and parts needs to be accesable over time and easy to change.

My dreamsetup as a customer is a windows computer and adding to that a controller card for all the lights and outgoing stuff(like motors for toys), all theese can be dmx controlled, which makes the board a breeze to change and securing lasting spares. Then you need an additional board for sensory input for switches and such. theese boards could also ofc be standardized.

When the prerequisites are met from the manufacturers, we customers can buy theese expensive pieces of art, fully confident that they will last.

Spike is the exact opposite of this concept.

#734 4 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

You can repair them if you know how.
You need new tools for surface mount PCB,s.
Everyone is worried about new tech at first. Electronics is changing so quick.

Good luck repair multilayer circuit boards with integrated transistors and components.
Good fucking luck.

#735 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I heard Roger Sharpe say something one time that Bally/Williams biggest competitor was older Bally/Williams machines. This may be coming true with Stern and Spike now as well.

This is somewhat true. I´m looking at buying a walking dead if i can make my family( Wife ) accept the artwork (we have three small kids), but i would never buy a spike machine. In fact i think spike can be the nail in the coffin for stern (pun intenden).

On that topic, who in their right mind would buy a used spike?

It will be interesting to see. Williams et al seems to hold their value, and stern sam´s seems to do fine on the used market.
How do you think Spike will fare?

#736 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don’t like the term “node board”
What else can we come up with?

Do not buy board?

After all the customers are in charge.

#738 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

While I am no fan of spike, older bw games may be facing obsolescence. Many boards specific to games are no longer available. Unless someone is going to remake the boards, it could very well be that many games may be heading for the scrap heap.

Agreed. Some of the older games are somewhat protected, due to large series and still lots of them beeing around.
I also think that older boards are built more robust, if not so advanced.

#743 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

we’re already seeing older games being un-repairable. Shaq attack (might be a poor example) has a scoreboard inside the game. The chip for that board is obsolete and unobtainable. I highly doubt that chip will ever be made again. So, these games are not yet unplayable, but more and more we’re seeing old tech become impossible to replace. Eventually more and more of these old parts will become impossible to find. Better stock up now if your hoping to keep old games running forever.
Evolution is inevitable, your ability to adapt isn’t.

This would have been manageable if the manufacturers took longevity into the production design, but mostly it´s the other way around.
I think the reason is that unique parts with special traits requires original spare parts, from which the companies can benefit and explore the customers even more.

Example: The smaug head in the hobbit. Seems to break now and then, costs 500$ to replace. Where will owners be in 10 years if jjp went belly up, or decide not to support the game anymore?

Now if the head itself was sturdy normal plastic attached to the playfield via a standard ball barring controlled via two normal rc-servos and switches. It would have been fixable forever.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dow, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.95
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr-pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/node-boards-some-new-bullshit?tu=Dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.