Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tbutler6
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7A1CFF4A-8903-4D9F-8264-C2490C153CFF (resized).jpeg
    E2DDF50C-79EE-4D5D-99D5-4786A528AD37 (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

I am thinking about picking up a SW pro that would go on location and be at home for a bit, I don't anticipate having it for more than a year. What is the deal with Stern replacing any bad node boards under warranty? Is it just 30 days or do they go longer with them?

#2 6 years ago

I have had my KISS LE since January but activated it in March as it was meant a birthday present and kept it in hiding. I blew out a node board almost 2 weeks ago, less than 100 plays. After getting in touch with Stern tech support I was sent a new one almost immediately. Hope this helps.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks. My distributor has told me 6 months so a decent bit of time. They seem to go out quickly hoping it is one of those things that either breaks quickly or lasts a long time.

#4 6 years ago

How do u know if your Node board blows?? Because my wrestlemania just stopped working, there's power going to the machine I can tell by the 2 led lights on the board in back box but that's it nothing else, no lights dmd or anything else...

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

How do u know if your Node board blows?? Because my wrestlemania just stopped working, there's power going to the machine I can tell by the 2 led lights on the board in back box but that's it nothing else, no lights dmd or anything else...

Call your distributor. They should be able to help you.

#6 6 years ago

Talking to Chas at Stern he implied that they are only covered by Stern for the original owner for 6 months. But when we had one go bad on a GB as a second owner and 1 year after the original owner bought it, our distributor hooked us up.

Now, that may be our only 'get out of jail free card' as I don't think they'll keep doing that every time a node board goes bad in the same game. If you have multiple board failures over time you may only get a replacement once. That's the scary part is if people keep having multiple node board failures. That will get very pricey.

#7 6 years ago

Node boards are unique though, right? Not like you can order three spares and use them whenever a random node board fails.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Node boards are unique though, right? Not like you can order three spares and use them whenever a random node board fails.

Yes they are distinct, in some cases the 'same' node board has slight variations between games as well. These worry me longer term, e.g. what happens in 5-10 + years.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

Wonder if it's your power distribution board.

#10 6 years ago

Not sure, need to take it to the distributor, I have no idea about this spike system.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

Not sure, need to take it to the distributor, I have no idea about this spike system.

I'm not sold on spike yet either, and I loved WWE. Either way I would say power distribution or power supply issue.

2 years later
    #12 4 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

These worry me longer term, e.g. what happens in 5-10 + years.

5-10 years has turned in to 2 years... Stern really should have made the node boards uniform across all games. All those slight variances make sourcing node boards for the late dmd era games rather...challenging...after just a few years. It’ll get worse before it gets better.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

5-10 years has turned in to 2 years... Stern really should have made the node boards uniform across all games. All those slight variances make sourcing node boards for the late dmd era games rather...challenging...after just a few years. It’ll get worse before it gets better.

When I posted this I had a deposit down on a spike game that I ended up cancelling, I still haven't bought a spike game. We take a big hit on depreciation in new zealand on NIBs. Between that and the cost of spike boards there are only a few themes I think would get me to put the cash down.

#14 4 years ago

I just saw/posted this in a similar thread... It is a concern, but i thought stern released architecture to third parties for support? Facts?

E2DDF50C-79EE-4D5D-99D5-4786A528AD37 (resized).pngE2DDF50C-79EE-4D5D-99D5-4786A528AD37 (resized).png
    #15 4 years ago

If these boards are NLA, and cant easily be fixed, why would anyone ever buy a game with them? They aren’t TV sets that you toss when they break. Just terrible. Stern needs to ensure there is an adequate supply to keep these games going for many years. Either that, or release the schematics so someone with the expertise can make them? You can’t not release schematics and allow the supply to disappear.

There should be a thread or database on what boards across all generations of games are NLA, then buyers can make better informed decisions.

Looks like pinballlife has them in stock

7A1CFF4A-8903-4D9F-8264-C2490C153CFF (resized).jpeg7A1CFF4A-8903-4D9F-8264-C2490C153CFF (resized).jpeg
    #16 4 years ago

They've released schematics.

https://sternpinball.com/support/

#17 4 years ago

A good friend of mine does pinball service for a living and he & I talk about the "newer machines" all the time. He & I agree owning anything newer is pretty much INSANE. A few years down the road there are going to be a hell of a bunch of newer Stern, JJP and other machines sitting dead because expensive boards are no longer available for them. If you don't believe what I am saying just look at how hard Williams System 9 and 11 boards are to find these days at a decent price. You guys really think someone is going to make aftermarket replacement boards for JJP & Stern machines sometime down the road as involved as those new boards are? If that isn't bad enough look at how many little game specific boards each of those machines uses under the playfield.

Guys with more money than brains can keep buying all of this new stuff. I'll stick with nice older classic machines I can still source parts for at prices that are not totally INSANE.

To people with "deep pockets" stuff like this is not a huge deal but to the average working guy having to buy a $1200 board to repair your pinball machine is a hell of a hit.

#18 4 years ago

Hopefully boards can be remade then. Is there any proprietary technology or software in them that could hinder remanufacture?

Quoted from too-many-pins:

A good friend of mine does pinball service for a living and he & I talk about the "newer machines" all the time. He & I agree owning anything newer is pretty much INSANE. A few years down the road there are going to be a hell of a bunch of newer Stern, JJP and other machines sitting dead because expensive boards are no longer available for them. If you don't believe what I am saying just look at how hard Williams System 9 and 11 boards are to find these days at a decent price. You guys really think someone is going to make aftermarket replacement boards for JJP & Stern machines sometime down the road as involved as those new boards are? If that isn't bad enough look at how many little game specific boards each of those machines uses under the playfield.
    Guys with more money than brains can keep buying all of this new stuff. I'll stick with nice older classic machines I can still source parts for at prices that are not totally INSANE.
    To people with "deep pockets" stuff like this is not a huge deal but to the average working guy having to buy a $1200 board to repair your pinball machine is a hell of a hit.

Older games have issues too with part availability. Coin door interface, opto boards, all getting harder to find.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Hopefully boards can be remade then. Is there any proprietary technology or software in them that could hinder remanufacture?

My guess is there is some proprietary firmware, but honestly don't know. With schematics though they should be repairable by someone knowledegable.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Older games have issues too with part availability. Coin door interface, opto boards, all getting harder to find.

The biggest difference is someone can make those boards for earlier machines because for the most part they don't use surface mount parts. Making boards & repairing newer boards with smaller surface mount components is nearly impossible for most people.

Also if my $2500 System 11 machine dies and I can't find parts for it I'll still likely be able to get $2000 out of it just taking a $500 hit. But once parts start failing on these newer $7500 + up machines the market is going to be flooded with them.

I would never pay $7500 or more for a toy anyway but I think nothing of buying 3 earlier machines with that same $7500

#21 4 years ago

So right now then, there is no established supplier making these apart from Stern?

That Ghostbusters “old” not supported comment is not jiving.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

So right now then, there is no established supplier making these apart from Stern?
    That Ghostbusters “old” not supported comment is not jiving.

I don't think you will ever see an "aftermarket supplier" making boards for any of the new machines with surface mounted parts on them. Process is just way too involved to do small runs of those boards & demand wouldn't justify the cost of set up - etc to make larger runs of those boards. So once the "original supply" is gone people will likely be SOL.

Who is going to invest $50k to $100k to make a run of a few hundred of a very game specific board? Even at $750 to $1000 each it would take forever to get that investment back (if you ever did).

Sad fact is down the road their are going to be a lot of $6000 to $10,000+ machines sitting dead with no parts around to repair them.

Hopefully I am wrong but I'll be darn if I am going to take that chance!

#23 4 years ago

I just reached out to a distro at Pinburgh. She got with a stern engineer there and said Jurassic Park and games going forward will only use the node 8 board...

I will call Stern on Monday and see if that means complete standardization for all games starting now...thoughts?

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

I just reached out to a distro at Pinburgh. She got with a stern engineer there and said Jurassic Park and games going forward will only use the node 8 board...
    I will call Stern on Monday and see if that means complete standardization for all games starting now...thoughts?

I would love to see them do this. It would make me MUCH more comfortable buying a game if the boards were more common. I hope this is correct.

#25 4 years ago

Change that to say "They've released *some* schematics".

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

I would love to see them do this. It would make me MUCH more comfortable buying a game if the boards were more common. I hope this is correct.

Me too. Please PM me if you or anyone can confirm this faster than me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/node-board-warranty?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.