• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C7151B90-D4C4-49AB-A3B2-6A729240CA3C (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jenk540i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Ever since I have owned my JP pro I have had intermittent failure of the right ramp and right orbit to register. (Switches 52-54). Occasionally it is just the right ramp but usually it’s all 3.

After testing switches and continuity I know the issue is pins 2-4 of CN12 on node board 8. Because when it occurs I remove that connector and push it back on and it will work for weeks and then the switches will stop registering again. And when those 3 switches fail to register the other switches on the connector still register (pins 5,6,7,and 9). Not sure if the problem is the plug or the board/pins.

I have repaired boards from W/B systems where I have reflowed solder. But I have never messed with a Stern node board and I know if I damage one there are no available replacements now.

It’s not the end of the world to have to reseat that connector every few weeks but it is an annoyance. Reseating the connector works every time.

Hoping someone with more node board experience might have a suggestion. Thanks.

C7151B90-D4C4-49AB-A3B2-6A729240CA3C (resized).pngC7151B90-D4C4-49AB-A3B2-6A729240CA3C (resized).png
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:I'd try to repin the connector first

I thought about that but I have tested continuity through the connector while tugging on each wire and each one tests fine. Makes me think it’s less likely that it’s the connector.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Did you check the connector pins on the wire end or on the board end? The wires could be crimped fine but of the connector pins are not always touching the board pins...
Anyways rebuilding a wire connector is much easier than board work as long as you have some experience and the right tools and parts to do the job.
I would personally get to the point of rebuilding the connector and seeing if the problem persists.

Sounds reasonable. I’ve crimped connector pins before so probably will be my next step. Swapping the 2 node boards is also a good suggestion that I might try.

Thanks

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The dead simple way to isolate your problem is to swap node 8 and 9 (changing the dip switches so each knows its new role) and see if the problem moves to the left halfpipe (which is on node 9, CN12, pin 2). If after the swap your problem remains on node 8, it's the wiring or connector itself. If it moves to the node 9 (which was nodeit's the node board pins, most likely.

Yes this makes a lot of sense; I’ll do this next time it acts up but it might be a while until I can get to it. The pro is actually on loan in my son’s house (I have a JP premium at my house).

And greatly appreciate everyone’s advice.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Do pro models have node 9?
Rob

Yes

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from themotherbrain:

Can't help with your issue other than what has already been said but pinball life has node boards in stock currently.
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-spike-2-node-board-520-5329-10.html

That’s great news.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jenk540i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/node-board-switch-failure-question?tu=jenk540i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.