IMG_4550 (resized).JPG
IMG_4549 (resized).JPG
IMG_4548 (resized).JPG
IMG_4547 (resized).JPG
IMG_4546 (resized).JPG
7561fc9f70372041f4f4860f4a36f80690cfc000 (resized).jpg
1d6719835ccd80564e247fe35f73c0117957889d (resized).png
Avoid the node (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider merccat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 6 years ago

Engineering unique node boards per game seems like a waste of money to me.... yeah you save 15 cents worth of bulk components per board if a game doesn't need those particular drivers but between the electrical engineering and software changes to support that it's like they are spending a dollar to save a penny.... plus pissing everyone off in the process.

I think more likely the reason were seeing different node boards per game is that it was a half-baked system to start with and these things are basically mass produced prototypes with each release getting whatever the latest revision is at the time.

Stern could still down the road release a universal node board and make it backwards compatible through a software update. It's not like these things are controlling anything unique per game... it's all just switches, lights and coils... and sometimes a motor.

I know, wishful thinking. More likely someone else out there will figure out a way and make a killing once stern drops support.

1 month later
#116 6 years ago

Interesting insight as to what they may have been trying with Spike.

Unfortunately they missed the mark when deviating from the idea of using universal, mass produced node boards to desigining several new ones custom for each game along with dropping the $25 standard CPU for a custom designed thing that while neat to have your own thing costs a small fortune.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

How the tides have changed from WOZ. WOZ was a operator's nightmare while other sterns of that era (pre-spike) were bomb proof, like TWD and Star Trek.
Even with the incredible complexity of DI, it's rock solid on route compared to most spike games. My DI has been great.

I think JJP’s node technology is now mature which is why its so solid. Also they only used nodes for lighting and stuck to a traditional power driver board for coils. I’m sure Spike will get there but since they also put coil drivers on their nodes it’s probably a bit more of an effort.

The other nice thing about JJP’s system is the CPU board is an off the shelf unit that can be bought in amazon for like 40 bucks vs paying whatever it is (600-800?) for a replacement Spike board. Fortunately those don’t seem to be having any issues.

Edit: I will add that while it is a concern (and I think a valid concern) I’m not personally worried enough to sell my Spike2 game (AS). I see it as probably a greater concern for operators as the stories above indicate. If my home game ends up down for a bit due to a node issue (so far no issues) it won’t cost me in lost revenue or upset location.

If nodes were made to be inexpensive ($50ish) and universal across games I don’t think anyone would have anything to worry about. Hopefully that’s what they are shooting for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider merccat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/node-board-failure-how-common?tu=merccat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.