IMG_4550 (resized).JPG
IMG_4549 (resized).JPG
IMG_4548 (resized).JPG
IMG_4547 (resized).JPG
IMG_4546 (resized).JPG
7561fc9f70372041f4f4860f4a36f80690cfc000 (resized).jpg
1d6719835ccd80564e247fe35f73c0117957889d (resized).png
Avoid the node (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megadeth2600.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

playfield and supposedly most are not interchangeable or easily repairable if repairable at all.

Just looking at that pic, I can assure you that anyone that does a decent job soldering will be able to learn to repair/replace *almost* anything on those boards once they practice reworking/servicing surface mount boards. The only new tool you'd need to buy is a hot air station for surface mount reworking (I've seen decent ones for sale as cheap as $50). The part that could be a headache to replace is the microcontroller given the rather short leads and possible heat sink pad under the chip. Outside of that, the components are easier to rework than through hole components once you get the hang of it .

The CPU node uses a really cheap Microchip processor (Stern probably gets them < $10 a device in quantity). The problem with that microprocessor is that it's a frigging BGA package and is basically impossible to replace with tools one may purchase at home. However, there are many companies out there that can replace a BGA device at a reasonable charge if you provide the part. (On a side note, I have no idea why they're using such a dated processor ... I wouldn't expect any fancy graphics using that device ... I understand that doesn't matter much for pinball playing, but I think it'll become more and more important if Jersey Jack catches fire ... in my worthless opinion, a standard, off the shelf PC running Linux is the way to go for a pinball system)

Overall, the idea behind Stern's new system is fine ... surface mount parts won't scare anyone in another year after a few places learn how to rework stuff ... it seems they addressed potential vibration issues by using a proper number of mounting points on long/wide boards (the problem with Capcom boards having solder joint issues on surface mount parts is mainly due to the size / lack of mounting to prevent the board from vibrating a lot) ... if node boards are dying due to electrical failure, chances are there are grounding issues (these will be worked out over time). All in all, Stern took the right design approach though you can certainly argue that the release of the system for public consumption wasn't tested well IF node boards are dying in significant quantities.

The *big* problem is lack of schematics. That's ridiculous that Stern doesn't provide those anymore in the manual and it's going to be a huge PITA to properly diagnose & repair boards. It's ridiculous that they withhold those.

#42 6 years ago

Does anyone have pics of the CPU node board in Star Wars? I'd like to see if there are differences with the old one as I heard it was a "rev 2" board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 12.75
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megadeth2600.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/node-board-failure-how-common?tu=megadeth2600 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.