Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190714_203338 (resized).jpg
20190714_201112 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone I have a new in box Star Wars premium about a month old, HUO.

I've been talking to stern and my distributor about a problem I've been having but I just want to see if anyone else has had this happen on spike2 machines

It started occasionally but has progressed worse and worse over time. I'm getting a service menu node board 8 overcurrent protection... The lower left playfield GI blue lighting goes out and also the flippers die for a split second. I can usually power off and do a couple tests to reset the overcurrent protection but the minute I start a game and touch a flipper now all the LEDs flash and the overcurrent protection triggers again and the blue lights go out. No power mods on the game

Pat from Stern has been great ..we've been trying to figure out where the short is... I pulled all the #187 blue bulbs that are affected on the string but the problem still happens when no bulbs are installed.

I'm away from home until Sunday and I can't really troubleshoot away on the road so I'm just thinking out loud here... Pat also thought it maybe the flipper panel over the GI light possibly causing a short...

The more I search and read on pinside it seems like this may be beyond a short though and may point to node 8 board failure of some sort.

Thanks for hearing me out I'm sure we'll get it solved Pat from Stern and Kurt and Mark from hemispheres Amusements have been all over this and very supportive since i let them know what happened (amazing customer support from hemispheres)... I'm just searching out any experience out there to see if maybe we can come up with a possible solution

Thanks all!!!

#2 4 years ago

Also, how would I test for a shorted socket? Thanks in advance (new to the hobby but I can learn fast )

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Hi everyone I have a new in box Star Wars premium about a month old, HUO.
I've been talking to stern and my distributor about a problem I've been having but I just want to see if anyone else has had this happen on spike2 machines
It started occasionally but has progressed worse and worse over time. I'm getting a service menu node board 8 overcurrent protection... The lower left playfield GI blue lighting goes out and also the flippers die for a split second. I can usually power off and do a couple tests to reset the overcurrent protection but the minute I start a game and touch a flipper now all the LEDs flash and the overcurrent protection triggers again and the blue lights go out. No power mods on the game
Pat from Stern has been great ..we've been trying to figure out where the short is... I pulled all the #187 blue bulbs that are affected on the string but the problem still happens when no bulbs are installed.
I'm away from home until Sunday and I can't really troubleshoot away on the road so I'm just thinking out loud here... Pat also thought it maybe the flipper panel over the GI light possibly causing a short...
The more I search and read on pinside it seems like this may be beyond a short though and may point to node 8 board failure of some sort.
Thanks for hearing me out I'm sure we'll get it solved Pat from Stern and Kurt and Mark from hemispheres Amusements have been all over this and very supportive since i let them know what happened (amazing customer support from hemispheres)... I'm just searching out any experience out there to see if maybe we can come up with a possible solution
Thanks all!!!

Do you have any aftermarket mods installed?

Also, someone had a weird issue with a node 9 board last week and it turned out one of the power leads going to one of the optos was crimped through the insulation and intermittently shorting to the bracket. It was visually obvious the wire insulation had been compromised once he removed the bracket holding the opto.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-pro-node-9-not-found#post-5080207

#4 4 years ago

No mods, I’ll check that thread, thanks..

I do need to try and start a game without moving the left flipper (usually select Han or r2 first) to see if that may be where it’s shorting by the flipper plate and GI location...I can see some wires for the socket bulb going under that plate and I hope that is where the problem lies ....can’t wait to get back home and troubleshoot this

I guess this is pinball ownership...cherish the time playing and the time wishing to get back to playing when things go down the drain

#5 4 years ago

Did you buy the game from the local distributor?

#6 4 years ago

Flip the node boards and see if symptom persists. You may have to adjust dip settings on each board?

I bet it is on the board. Node boards are absolute crap and three times now we have gone down rabbit holes on node board games only to find it is the node board at the root.

#7 4 years ago

Stern build quality.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you buy the game from the local distributor?

No I didn't

#9 4 years ago

Maybe you can see if your distributor will be willing to work with the local one here.

Or try to see if you can get your distributor to get you to send another node board.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Flip the node boards and see if symptom persists. You may have to adjust dip settings on each board?
I bet it is on the board. Node boards are absolute crap and three times now we have gone down rabbit holes on node board games only to find it is the node board at the root.

Yeah, if I chase the shorts all over and find nothing, hopefully I can get a swap to show something...I'm still in the 2 month warranty period for PCB, so fingers crossed I can find the issue

#11 4 years ago

Maybe you can see if your distributor will be willing to work with the local one here.
Or try to see if you can get your distributor to get you to send another node board.

That's a good idea, will have to keep that in my back pocket after I'm done trying to hunt this short down (if that's what it is)...btw you're talking about joystix correct?

#12 4 years ago

Yes, Joystix.

#13 4 years ago

If you swap boards around, make sure both have the dipswitches set for the correct locations. Good chance the game will want to update the node board code, so do not interrupt it by turning off the game.

#14 4 years ago

Can you post a picture of the board?

#15 4 years ago

Solved the issue! Looks like at the Stern factory, they screwed an anchor socket
, and nicked the wire. They backed out and made a new hole but the damage was done... Found a slightly burnt, frayed wire, underneath the left flipper plate! Cut the bad stuff, soldered, reapplied fish paper, readjusted the flippers and wallah!

Thanks to everyone on here for the help and Pat at Stern for guiding me to the problem.

Got to do my first pretty big repair job as a new owner and seeing it working again is pure magic!

Learned:

Testing for shorts and continuity

Guts of the service menu overcurrent and how lights and shorts register

How to remove and replace flippers and readjust them...

All in all, a pretty good success!!!

Yes, I am now addicted to this hobby!!!

Cheers all
20190714_201112 (resized).jpg20190714_201112 (resized).jpg20190714_203338 (resized).jpg20190714_203338 (resized).jpg

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Solved the issue! Looks like at the Stern factory, they screwed an anchor socket
, and nicked the wire. They backed out and made a new hole but the damage was done... Found a slightly burnt, frayed wire, underneath the left flipper plate!

So essentially the same as the person having problems with their Node 9 due to a factory-damaged wire. Thanks for posting the solution!

#17 4 years ago

Sure thing!

#18 4 years ago

As a fellow SW premium owner, I am glad to see yours is up and running again so you can enjoy this game!! I have not have any electrical issues with my game since it was delivered in Oct 2017. So it seems I have been lucky.

#19 4 years ago

As a fellow SW premium owner, I am glad to see yours is up and running again so you can enjoy this game!! I have not have any electrical issues with my game since it was delivered in Oct 2017. So it seems I have been lucky.

Thank you very much, I was having withdrawals and being out of town with it broken was killing me!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 21.50
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.95
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/node-8-overcurrent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.