3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hd60609
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 3 years ago

Lost my flippers and lower GI last weekend on my KISS Pro. Game then froze and wouldn't boot. Appeared to be a Node 8 failure.

Got a new Node 8 board today from Stern. It was the improved Node 8 (had the jumper on back). Installed it and game booted right back up. Played it hard... banged on the flippers. First noticed the lower GI bulbs had a slight flicker with each flipper pulse. This increased as play continued until...

Right flipper-dead, left flipper in spasm-then drops dead, lower GI (2 bulbs under each sling, 2 on each side in front of the apron) all go out for a second. Then game returns to normal. Power loss became more frequent with continued game play and flipper use. Finally, game cut out and won't boot past the Stern logo.

Only mods in that area were that I changed the 8 stock GI bulbs to Comet Optix Maximus (reds/blues). Changed them back to stock and issues continued.

For those with Node 8 failures, was it just a Node 8 failure or did you find a different cause forcing Node 8 to fail? Any thoughts?

#2 3 years ago

I'd definitely talk to Stern Tech Support when you can. ( tomorrow ) They'll know if there is more going on.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Bummer. Sorry.

#4 3 years ago

What other mods did you have on the game?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from surfsled:

Ha! I had a topper on a past game the had some solder points too close together and was blowing fuses, Stern was about to send me a new power driver board but I disconnected the topper and the issue went away.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from surfsled:

Stern Topper...Node 0 (CPU backbox)
PBL Spike 12v adapter... Node 1 (Left side cabinet)... Lighted flipper buttons, Lighted Speakers
Mezels Demon Motor LEDs... Node 10 (Rear playfield)
Mezels Scoop LED... Node 9 (Mid-playfield)
Pinball Refinery Demon Lock LED... Node 10 (Rear playfield)
Pinball Refinery Spinner LED... Node 9 (Mid-playfield)
Added 1 extra Spot to Paul and Gene's head... tapped on to GI socket... Node 9 (Mid-playfield)

As I list these, I feel like I added a lot. Maybe I stressed the system. Is Spike not as robust as SAM or Whitestar? Those systems could easily take the mods. Plus, all the mods added were LED and none were added to the area of Node 8. When Node 8 failed, all the game/mod lighting was still on until the total freeze up.

#7 3 years ago

I pretty sure I saw a flyer about a board to help the spike system with the extra mods... I think it came with a Marco parts order.
Can't find it anywhere now..

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from surfsled:

I pretty sure I saw a flyer about a board to help the spike system with the extra mods... I think it came with a Marco parts order.
Can't find it anywhere now..

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4052

#9 3 years ago

This is the exact part I have installed. It connects to Node 1 on the side of the cabinet. The game ran great with all the mods for a month. That's what's adding to my confusion... Someone speculated a Node 8 failure in a different thread might be due to vibration, citing the Node 8 board is mounted directly beneath the left flipper...

#10 3 years ago

Do you have a shaker motor hooked up to the machine?

#11 3 years ago

No shaker installed...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside