(Topic ID: 297210)

No, you are not voiding your machine's warranty.

By mrgregb123

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210723-093516~2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrgregb123.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

[WITHDRAWN]

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

I should have put in the sarcasm sign. Both Stern and JJP have 60 day warranties on the printed circuit boards. If you have a good distributor, he can probably get you replacement after the warranty, but 60 day warranty on the boards is a joke.

As someone who used to complain about Stern's ridiculously short warranty, they seem to largely ignore the timelines, routinely providing service for games that are in some cases years old.

Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Right to repair is different than the right to add a bunch of nonsense that tags on to the original electronics and possibly blows shit up.

Correct, except you can in fact add whatever nonsense you want. The manufacturer still has to show that the defect you are reporting was caused specifically by your mod(s), and the remainder of the warranty remains intact. Manufacturers try hard to convince users otherwise and blatantly lie to you ("Opening this [whatever] will void the warranty") but the law is the law.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Depends what you mean by "show"?

I dont know how hard that is to do if you are literally altering the games original power and or wiring.

Pretty sure that would be all they have to say.

I didn't write the law. I'm just here to tell people it exists, and is intended to be consumer-friendly. If you don't choose to take advantage of it and instead take pinball manufacturers at their word that you cannot alter anything without voiding your warranty, you certainly have the choice to do that.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

[some fantasy conversation between this guy and Stern]

Quoted from brainmegaphone:

[some fantasy about a trial for a $450 warranty claim]

I think one of the many reasons so many people have left Pinside is this weird fetish-like corporate-worship that goes on here. The Manufacturer Gatekeepers of Pinside®, here to invent fictitious scenarios that have never happened nor will ever happen in the real world. I don't get it.

In reality, the manufacturer has no idea what mods you have in your game nor what you did to cause a defect. NO IDEA. They don't come out to your house to inspect your machine, unbeknownst to apparently several in this thread. Know what they do instead? Ship you the part you need. Because they DGAF as much as you think they do. Ask me how I know. Unlike some of the folks in this thread, I speak from experience. And this applies in nearly every scenario inside and outside of pinball.

The point of this post was to inform the many pinsiders who don't have a clue how warranty coverage works and the laws that cover you for altering or repairing your machine, that you are protected and feel free to make changes to your game w/o worry that installing a 3rd party shaker, for example, voids the whole machine's warranty. And yes, this specifically includes mods. Just like your car's warranty remains intact if you add on a 3rd party exhaust, your machine's warranty is protected if you add a non-factory shaker. While a pinball mfg can try to prove that you caused the defect, they can't do this if they can't inspect the machine. Period. However, with a car, the manufacturer has a higher rate of succeeding in a warranty denial claim on account of a mod because in most cases it's still attached to your car when you bring it in - they are in a position to prove your mod caused the defect. Pinball manufacturers are not doing this. In fact, most manufacturers don't do this. That's why they put the "opening this voids your warranty" - because otherwise 99% of the time they'd have no idea you caused the problem.

TL;DR: Read the law (Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act) for yourself. Be aware it exists, and protects you. That's the point of the thread.

#27 2 years ago

There seems to be some confusion here. I'm not trying to win an argument. I realize that's the Pinside way of discussion. I couldn't care less. If you want to interpret the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act to have all sorts of strawmen gotchas and it stops you from filing a warranty claim, you have the freedom to do this. If you wish to use the law's protections, you also can do this. Nothing anyone claims here matters at all. Not the lawyer guy. Not the guy who posts in every single thread on Pinside. All that matters is the law. I don't need to cite case law or prove any point in this thread to make use of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. I posted that the law exists, that many Pinsiders (as this thread has hammered home) are confused about warranty coverage, and so I invite you to read the law and take your own actions. Don't let corporate-worshippers and gatekeepers convince you that your warranty claim is invalid. That's all.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrgregb123.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-you-are-not-voiding-your-machine-s-warranty?tu=mrgregb123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.