(Topic ID: 297210)

No, you are not voiding your machine's warranty.

By mrgregb123

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210723-093516~2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigehrl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

Correct, except you can in fact add whatever nonsense you want. The manufacturer still has to show that the defect you are reporting was caused specifically by your mod(s), and the remainder of the warranty remains intact. Manufacturers try hard to convince users otherwise and blatantly lie to you ("Opening this [whatever] will void the warranty") but the law is the law.

Here's how that will go, every single time...

Buyer: "Hi, my game won't turn on. I need a new power supply."

Stern: "We're really sorry to hear that. Did you modify or alter you machine in any way from factory?"

Owner: "Not really, I just added a doll that taps into the power supply."

Stern: "Ok, then No."

Buyer: "But that's not what caused it. It's from a reputable modder who's well known in the industry for making quality mods that tons of pinball owners use all the time, without issue."

Stern: "No."

Buyer: "Well, the law says I'm allowed to do that and you still have to honor the warranty."

Stern: "Yeah, No."

Buyer: "I can sue you, and at least certainly never buy another product from you guys ever again!"

Stern: "Still, No. Though if you'd like to purchase another Power Supply, please visit one of our authorized retailer's websites. Thank you for being a Stern customer. Goodbye."

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

In reality, the manufacturer has no idea what mods you have in your game nor what you did to cause a defect. NO IDEA. They don't come out to your house to inspect your machine, unbeknownst to apparently several in this thread. Know what they do instead? Ship you the part you need. Because they DGAF as much as you think they do. Ask me how I know. Unlike some of the folks in this thread, I speak from experience. And this applies in nearly every scenario inside and outside of pinball.- because otherwise 99% of the time they'd have no idea you caused the problem.

oh, you meant in the context of lying, not being forthright and omitting certain facts. you didn't say that at first. in that case, sure, do whatever the hell ya want.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigehrl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-you-are-not-voiding-your-machine-s-warranty?tu=bigehrl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.