(Topic ID: 229908)

No Turkey or Caesar Salad this Thanksgiving?

By o-din

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN6073 (resized).JPG
B153CCAB-CF95-4CDE-AB7C-3D895A67B16B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0994 (1) (resized).jpg
564616676 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_0997 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_0993 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_0989 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_0985 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_0991 (1) (resized).jpg
o (resized).jpg
20181122_123054 (resized).jpg
white-castle-turkey-stuffing-recipe1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181121_201815 (resized).jpg
574065F6-9A6D-41BE-8A33-F746BC767ABF (resized).png
DSCN6072 (resized).JPG
_293813658_1530648754 (resized).jpg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

With the recent announcement and fear that some Turkey and Romaine lettuce have been found to contain salmonella or e-coli bacteria, many will be forgoing their usual Thanksgiving meal and coming up with alternatives instead.

So for those who aren't taking any chances of getting sick, what is for dinner this year?

I've decided to take my mom and daughter out this year and will probably be getting something with beef in it and forgo the salad until they can get this all straightened out. Not that I'm really worried about it and have probably already eaten more than my share of deadly bacteria, but why take any chances, especially where family members are concerned.

#2 1 year ago

Well you can have a Salad just not Romaine. I didn't hear aboot the turkey though, just beef.

I'm aboot to eat a Caesar salad though since it was the last of a 6 pack and I'm not dead yet.

EDIT: Oh I had heard aboot ground turkey
EDIT 2: Maybe being near Mexico Caesar is on the menu but not a standard Thanksgiving dish in the Midwest.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well you can have a Salad just not Romaine

It's kind of funny as on my way home last night I was thinking of making a Caesar salad to go with dinner as I had just purchased a fresh head of Romaine. But I didn't really feel like it so had dinner without it and then came the news to dispose of any and all Romaine lettuce.

And a salad is not really a salad using iceberg.

#4 1 year ago

If I'm being completely honest, my stomach does not feel great today....But I did eat garbage last night.
Hmmm.....maybe I'll skip this salad today?

#5 1 year ago

Almost all whole poultry has the potential for salmonella, hence proper cooking temperatures are very important. If you cook your turkey properly, you won't have any problems. But, its kind of hard to cook Romaine lettuce to kill the germs, so....

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Almost all whole poultry has the potential for salmonella, hence proper cooking temperatures are very important. If you cook your turkey properly, you won't have any problems.

If you are using a deep fryer, would this be hot enough?

giphy.gif
#7 1 year ago

"which has sickened 32 people in 11 states in the U.S. and 18 people in the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec. Michigan has the second-highest number of cases at seven. "

#8 1 year ago

Thanksgiving isn't supposed to be about turkey anyway.

The first one the pilgrims put on was celebration of a great fall harvest. Thanks to the help of the local native Wampanoag tribe, they were able to make it thru the winter with enough food to sustain them.

Not sure how long that respect for the native Americans lasted, or how many other feasts they were invited to, but that is supposedly the origin of the holiday.
20121119_FIRSTThanksgivingdetail (resized).jpg

#9 1 year ago

Ya ya no one gives a shit aboot all that. I'm not dreaming aboot fistfulls of fish and squash.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm not dreaming aboot fistfulls of fish and squash.

Mostly now it's dreaming about the traditional two NFL games and the best thing that's happened since the deep fried turkey, a third night game to boot!

#11 1 year ago

No changes here - there will be enough alcohol to take care of those pesky germs.

#12 1 year ago

Guys I eat a head of Romaine everyday and I'm starting to go downhill. I have surgery Friday and can't drink booze tomorrow...that mixed with the yearly toxins of a Lions game may put me down for the count.

#13 1 year ago

By Monday you should be back to normal again.

#14 1 year ago

This will do.

wildturkey101a (resized).jpg
#15 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

the yearly toxins of a Lions game may put me down for the count.

I have many great memories of the Cowboys floundering on Thanksgiving as well. Including two against the Dolphins.

About 15 years ago or so Dolphin's quarterback Jay Fiedler looked like the second coming of Joe Montana against them and before that who could ever forget this one?

#16 1 year ago

The sicknesses linked to the romaine lettuce actually happened about 5 weeks ago and now they are saying to throw out all romaine lettuce. I think that is drastic, just make sure you wash it thoroughly. Don't worry about the salmonella with the turkey either, just make sure its cooked thoroughly to 165.

#17 1 year ago

Although it is pretty common knowledge, for those not in the know, the Caesar salad is not named after a past leader of the Roman empire.

It is named after restaurateur Caesar Cardini, an Italian immigrant who operated restaurants in Mexico and the United States. He created the Caesar salad in the 1920s when a 4th of July celebration had depleted the kitchen's supplies, so he made do with what he had.

Cardini's daughter said that the original recipe included whole lettuce leaves, coddled eggs, and Italian olive oil. Although the modern take on it is much more flavorful to me.

1200px-Caesar_salad_(2) (resized).jpg
#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Don44:

The sicknesses linked to the romaine lettuce actually happened about 5 weeks ago and now they are saying to throw out all romaine lettuce. I think that is drastic, just make sure you wash it thoroughly. Don't worry about the salmonella with the turkey either, just make sure its cooked thoroughly to 165.

I'm not sure washing would get rid of ecoli in lettuce. If you are elderly stay away from all romaine lettuce as ecoli could be a death sentence.

#19 1 year ago

I was a stanch Cardini dressing guy for years and years but I changed to Ken's Simply Vinaigrette and haven't looked back. Just way more refreshing.

#20 1 year ago

I just checked and this is the first year I can remember where all NFC teams play on Thanksgiving day. Could have happened before, I just don't remember it.

Used to be one AFC team would either play in Dallas or Detroit, switching off year to year. Even with a third game now, no AFC teams tomorrow.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from jester523:

I'm not sure washing would get rid of ecoli in lettuce.

You need to properly cook it to 165 degrees.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

I've never had deep fried lettuce before.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Could have happened before, I just don't remember it.

2015 & 2014 IF...IF....You count Seattle as an NFC team.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not that I'm really worried about it and have probably already eaten more than my share of deadly bacteria, but why take any chances, especially where family members are concerned.

You make me laugh o-din. I expect you to eat that Romaine lettuce in defiance of the man telling you what to do! Won't get a flu shot, even though that is scientifically proven to prevent your family members from getting sick, but you'll definitely avoid a salad to make sure they are healthy.

This meme is for you...
pasted_image (resized).png

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Braised romain hearts. Jacques Pepin says it's totally underrated.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013102-braised-romaine-hearts

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

2015 & 2014 IF...IF....You count Seattle as an NFC team.

I do...

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I expect you to eat that Romaine lettuce in defiance of the man telling you what to do!

Reminds me of when people were dying from eating Jack in the Box and they were offering tacos 4 for 99 cents in the aftermath.

My buddy said "What a deal! I'm going to show you how to eat deadly bacteria and live!" So we did....

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

But, its kind of hard to cook Romaine lettuce to kill the germs, so....

I give all my lettuce a gentle cycle in the dishwasher before serving.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I expect you to eat that Romaine lettuce in defiance of the man telling you what to do!

POTW!

Quoted from SirScott:

It has a subtle tinge of Solid State wiring and socket taste but you get used to it

#30 1 year ago

And truthfully no man is telling me I have to get a flu shot or eat contaminated lettuce. I look at them both the same. Two things I don't need in my body and risks I don't need to take.

There are a lot that would like to force their beliefs on others and guilt trip them into doing things they have decided they don't want or need though.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It has a subtle tinge of Solid State wiring and socket taste but you get used to it

Yeah, I usually throw some salad dressing in with the cycle, so it eliminates a lot of that off-taste.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have many great memories of the Cowboys floundering on Thanksgiving as well. Including two against the Dolphins.
About 15 years ago or so Dolphin's quarterback Jay Fiedler looked like the second coming of Joe Montana against them and before that who could ever forget this one?

No floundering this year Cowboys by 3 That was a bonehead mistake by Leon Lett but he was so
good they forgave him and went on to win a shitload of games with him.Dolphins??

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

That was a bonehead mistake by Leon Lett but he was so
good they forgave him and went on to win a shitload of games with him.Dolphins??

Looks like in 2011 the Cowboys beat the Fish by 1 point on Thanksgiving day, which was the last time they played that day.

Beside the Leon Lett blunder, this is the one I remember the best. Jay Fiedler never looked so good, and it sent the Cowboys reeling after a promising start that season.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from SirScott:

I've heard on the news that washing the lettuce doe not remove the bacteria. It is inside the lettuce itself and won't wash off.

#35 1 year ago

Totally off topic, but I just did my first ever inspection on a Smart car. What a piece of shit that thing is!

download (resized).jpg
#36 1 year ago

It’s funny all this worrying about ecoli in the romaine (I threw away a cs this morning) when the traditional salad dressing of ceasar is an emulsion of raw eggs and oil. Eggs that come out of a chickens butt salmonella style. Of course the eggs are pasteurized but hey...ya never know

#37 1 year ago

O-din i bet you've ate worse things than a little salmonella or ecoli before so don't worry about it. Know what im sayin?

#38 1 year ago

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

O-din i bet you've ate worse things than a little salmonella or ecoli before so don't worry about it. Know what im sayin?

2n5i8r (resized).jpg
#40 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Oh sure. I've eaten things that I have no idea where they have come from and even some that didn't smell all that great and I'm still alive to tell about it.

But my 96 year old mother has spent her whole life worrying about everything, so i'm not taking any chances.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Caesar Cardini

Caesar created his famous salad in Acapulco. He was a Chef in some Hotel. Some Hollywood people arrived late for dinner, as their flight was delayed. Caesar famously used what was remaining in the kitchen, to serve the VIP's.

On a side note, in Canada if you ask for a Caesar you are going to get a spicy Vodka drink mixed with Clamato Juice.... Quite tasty indeed.

#42 1 year ago

Herbert knows what im sayin

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Totally off topic, but I just did my first ever inspection on a Smart car. What a piece of shit that thing is!
[quoted image]

I bet it would take you at least a hour to find the battery? With out looking into the cars manual. Opening the front body cover can also be a challenge. The worst thing is that sometimes the key fob is not recognized by the computer (even with new a new battery in the fob). Get out of the car, lock the doors, then re-open the car and try again.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Herbert knows what im sayin

I know what you're saying too. But I wasn't sure you wanted to hear about that crab salad I dove into once.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Darcy:

On a side note, in Canada if you ask for a Caesar you are going to get a spicy Vodka drink mixed with Clamato Juice.... Quite tasty indeed.

Bloody Ceaser here

Quoted from o-din:

But I wasn't sure you wanted to hear about that crab salad I dove into once.

Was she worth it?

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Was she worth it?

Let's just say I'm usually not too nit picky when it comes to these things.

#47 1 year ago

15 years ago or so was out with friends for dinner. Our friend Dave states, "This is the Best Caesar Salad I have ever had". I quipped, "It was the Anchovy Paste, or possibly the crushed Anchovies". He said, 'ANCHOVIES??. I replied with the raw egg and yes ground fish. He pushed the plate away and said, "I'll never eat that again". We all laughed at him, as he usually always order Caesar Salad when we all went out.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I bet it would take you at least a hour to find the battery? With out looking into the cars manual. Opening the front body cover can also be a challenge. The worst thing is that sometimes the key fob is not recognized by the computer (even with new a new battery in the fob). Get out of the car, lock the doors, then re-open the car and try again.

You sound like you have experience with one. This one had less than 50k miles and was a total clunker. The drive train in the rear severely jerks and clunks when you take off from a start. The little motor seems anything but smooth.

I wonder where they came up with the name.

I bet you feel real SMART for buying one when involved in an accident with a much larger vehicle.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

The drive train in the rear severely jerks and clunks when you take off from a start.

Some have a hesitation from a standing start. That seems normal.
If it is an older model, use the shifter, just do not leave in drive, as when it is in drive it takes forever for the car to shift itself to the next gear.

The Smart Fortwo, is build around a safety cage. The outer plastic panels will fly off, the rear drive train may fall out, the car being lighter, will deflect away from the impact, seen some mangled ones, that the drivers had survived. On You Tube there are some horrific Smart Car images.

Smart Fortwo has a De Dion rear suspension, De Dion patented it around 1894. There is a curved tube attaching and holding the rear hubs/spindles in place.

#50 1 year ago
21v7yu (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Special When Lit
$ 9.99
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 199.99
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 47.00
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 18.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside