Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240409_104215 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240408_094133 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240406_152243 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240408_203024 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I hadn't powered my Fire! on for a few months, then I tried it and it didn't boot at all, no diagnostic LED. I swapped in a different 6802, and then it boots fine. There are no callouts but there is music. Seems strange that both the main 6802 and sound would go out simultaneously. Is there something that would cause that?

The speech comes from the main board audio circuitry. I swapped in a sound board from another machine to verify that. I also verified the sound CPU on the main board works fine - swapped with the main CPU.

I've gone over the U9 6821 with my logic probe. It's getting the sound selects, and it is also getting data from the 6802, can also see it is changing based on the sound being cycled in diagnostics. But it is not forwarding any data to the DAC, all the outputs are low. The other strange thing is P21 RW is not pulsing, stays high. I thought the 6821 must be bad, but I swapped in a new one, and same thing. I burned new sound ROMs, but no change either.

I also verified there's no audio signal coming out of the DAC, to verify the problem must be before that. Any ideas what I should do now?

#2 3 years ago

I believe speech is generated by the Harris CVSD (HC-55536 or HC-55564). Sound effects are generated by the DAC1408. These analog signals are forwarded to the sound board where the signal is amplified by the TDA2002s on that board before passing through the volume potentiometer and then to the speakers.

Some System 11 sound boards are fully populated and some are only partially populated. I believe different game software uses different channels on the boards. The speech and sound effects (not the music) circuitry is duplicated on both the main CPU board and the sound board. I don't know which game software uses what channels on the boards.

In System 11C the sound section of the main CPU board is not populated and the sound board is fully populated. The System 11C sound board has a ROM size selector so if you use one of those boards be aware of that configuration setting.

#3 3 years ago

Yes, but the 6821 is pumping data to both the DAC and CVSD, and I'm not seeing any of those outputs pulsing at all. P19 on the 6821 (labeled Speech) stays Low as do P10-17, which all seem to be the DAC inputs.

All audio from the sound board is working fine, and no audio is working from the MPU board. I said "speech", because I'm not sure what else the MPU is generating if anything. I am getting sound effects, but those are coming from the sound board: verified by removing the interconnect.

One more thing I didn't mention, pressing the sound button on the MPU, just repeats the 'Twing' sound in a never-ending loop.

Since the problem seems to be before the DAC, I think it makes sense to try swapping out the RAM. Given I need a new 6802 anyway, can I replace with one with RAM onboard (6808?) and not need the RAM chip? I don't see anything in the wiki about jumpering for that.

#4 3 years ago

Remove IC 22 to check if there is the same problem (sound no speech and twing with test button)

#5 3 years ago

Note, sometimes I press the sound button and get no reaction at all. Also, sometimes at power on I get some brief white noise garbage for a couple of seconds.

Do you mean U22? I removed it, still got the Twings. Then put it back, and didn't get anything, but it was unreliable like that before.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Note, sometimes I press the sound button and get no reaction at all. Also, sometimes at power on I get some brief white noise garbage for a couple of seconds.
Do you mean U22? I removed it, still got the Twings. Then put it back, and didn't get anything, but it was unreliable like that before.

No Change when Ic 22 Removed:

Suspect IC 22 not being read by cpu:

Check Chip Enable signal Ic22 Pin 20
Replace U7 Decoder

Recheck for speech phrase when sound test is depressed.

#7 3 years ago

Pin 20 is pulsing. Checking the decoder inputs, they are pulsing, but the pattern seems suspect, not changing like on a working board during sound test.

I'm going to order sockets and replacements for the decoders and RAM and give those a shot, not sure what else to try.

#8 3 years ago

Check all other address and data lines are present at U22
Address 14 goes thru U6 before it arrives at pin 27 may be missing or corrupt.
Ram should be ok with processor being able to run the program and produce sounds.

#9 3 years ago

I have never had to go into the decoders or anything behind the ROM/RAM on a system 11 MPU based speech/sounds. Not to say that that is not the problem here. I have fixed missing sounds or speech on nearly 100 of these boards and it has always been the same short list of bad components in my experience

#1 most common by far is Bad 1458 op amps, probably 50% of the time. U4 disables only MPU based speech U5 disables MPU based sounds and MPU based speech.
#2 is bad RAM
#3 is bad 10uf cap at C8 or C15 but each one of those will only disable the mpu based speech or mpu based sound effects
#4 is either a bad DAC or bad CVSD but just like the caps they will only disable half
#5 is bad ROMS

Never have I had to do the U9 or U10 6821 or any of the decoders. And don't recall how many 6802's as that is so easily tested by swapping it with the main 6802.

#10 3 years ago

@highvoltage, in the other thread you mentioned this CPU board has Hitachi 6802 CPU chips. The board also has all Hitachi 6821 chips? I don't see you mentioning it so far in this thread.

I have a pile of failed Hitachi 6802 and 6821 chips out of several different system 11 boards. Seems they are not as reliable as Motorola chips.

#11 3 years ago

I ran the Leon's sound test ROM and it's flaky whether it comes back from the RAM test or not and continues the heart beat. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, so seems very likely that's it.

These from EBay should do, right? Will update when I've got them installed.

ebay.com link: Lot of 4 HYUNDAI HY6116ALP 10 2Kx8 Static RAM 100ns DIP 24 Low Power

#12 3 years ago

Seems like the right one you have there.

If you were upgrading your MPU U25 to NVRAM, this is this could had been moved to the sound section as it is a 6116 RAM in both locations.

#13 3 years ago

Now you tell me! Yeah, that sounds like a good way to go about it.

#14 3 years ago

Haha...sorry. I did not get that feeling the RAM was on the list to go after next.

#15 3 years ago

Installed the new 2116, and that was it, the speech is back.

Thanks to PINTEC for pointing out there's a test ROM for the sound section, I didn't realize that.

System 11 sound set up varies quite a bit in the revisions and are kind of goofy in some incarnations. kbliznick summarizes it here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-no-speech-#post-5053502

Also provides some descriptions of the operation way back here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/PpX0PGtkb30

Another thing I did was work back on the circuit to narrow down the problem. I hooked up a mini piezo speaker to the analog audio line of the amp and then the DAC. Yes, if you hold your ear right next to the speaker, you can actually listen to the DAC output too. It's an easy way to narrow down which side of the circuit the problem is on.

Pretty strange that I had the main CPU and sound RAM fail at basically the same time, since the last time I had the machine on. Also strange that the Motorola CPU worked fine when the board is configured for Hitachi. I put the jumper back for Motorola anyway.

3 years later
#16 15 days ago

HighVoltage

Reading this post to see if i could repair the speech issue. It is also a Fire!

I wonder what you mean by "replaced the 2116"

#17 15 days ago
Quoted from Roverius:

HighVoltage
Reading this post to see if i could repair the speech issue. It is also a Fire!
I wonder what you mean by "replaced the 2116"

RAM chip = bad memory

#18 15 days ago

gutz thanks, aint that a 6116?

Anyway, i maight replace mine with a nvram.
i get issues writing to memory, "memory protect" ore something in that direction.

Thx

#19 15 days ago
Quoted from Roverius:

gutz thanks, aint that a 6116?
Anyway, i maight replace mine with a nvram.
i get issues writing to memory, "memory protect" ore something in that direction.
Thx

U25 is for the game RAM that you would want to install the NVRAM, not in the sound section.

The sound Section RAM he replaced was because of the speech failure, which is what this repair thread was about So happens, both RAM on this board are 6116 and compatible chips.

#20 15 days ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

U25 is for the game RAM that you would want to install the NVRAM, not in the sound section.
The sound Section RAM he replaced was because of the speech failure, which is what this repair thread was about So happens, both RAM on this board are 6116 and compatible chips.

Hmm, could this be a different soundboard? or probably a different sram. Schematics state a 2016 ram.
IMG_20240408_203024 (resized).jpgIMG_20240408_203024 (resized).jpg

#21 15 days ago
Quoted from Roverius:

Hmm, could this be a different soundboard? or probably a different sram. Schematics state a 2016 ram.
[quoted image]

The sticker on the processor has Fire game number 556 on it (unless that chip was swapped into a different board). You have pictured the sound board, this thread is about the sound section on the MPU board. The OP replaced the sound ram on the mpu board to restore their speech. Your memory protect circuit is on the MPU board and is activated by the large switch that is activated by opening/closing the coin door.

#22 15 days ago
Quoted from gutz:

The sticker on the processor has Fire game number 556 on it (unless that chip was swapped into a different board). You have pictured the sound board, this thread is about the sound section on the MPU board. The OP replaced the sound ram on the mpu board to restore their speech. Your memory protect circuit is on the MPU board and is activated by the large switch that is activated by opening/closing the coin door.

I am getting confused, the topic mentions a Williams Fire system 11a board, precise the board i have. I do have the same problem, hence my responses here.

So, this should be U23 probably? It is a 58725P. I might solder this out and test this.

Don't pay attention to the removed roms, i had issues when they were installed.

IMG_20240406_152243 (resized).jpgIMG_20240406_152243 (resized).jpg

IMG_20240408_094133 (resized).jpgIMG_20240408_094133 (resized).jpg

#23 14 days ago

U23 ram tested good, must be something else :/

IMG_20240409_104215 (resized).jpgIMG_20240409_104215 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#24 6 days ago
Quoted from Roverius:

U23 ram tested good, must be something else :/[quoted image]

So back up a little bit. What exactly is missing from your game. Just the speech is missing or are you missing the sound effects too? When you conduct the sound test in the diagnostics does it produce ANY of the 8 sounds or none?

#25 5 days ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

So back up a little bit. What exactly is missing from your game. Just the speech is missing or are you missing the sound effects too? When you conduct the sound test in the diagnostics does it produce ANY of the 8 sounds or none?

I had music but not the sound effects/speech

I have replaced the game sram with a nvram and then used the game sram for the sound ram.
That worked fine but sometimes the MPU failed and/or rebooted.
What i also have noticed, the MPU was missing some screws. So, not sure, but after replacing the missing screws, all works fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-speech-on-fire-system11a and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.