• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by KingHebes
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

of all the games...

all connections look ok, treat me like I'm 5- what to do where to start?

it was fine before a move, but it could be anything right? does the speaker get juice? go backwards from there?

it seems like spots are hard to get to, so any advice on this unique (to me) game would be very appreciated

thanks!

#2 9 years ago

When you said the connectors look OK did you pull the boards off and look at the header pin solder joints for cracking? Almost every old game has cracked joints. Fix those first. And double check continuity between the wiring for the speaker and volume pot to eliminate them

Next take a look at the sockets for the proms, if they are scanbe sockets they need replaced. And if the legs are black or tarnished the proms will need replaced as well.

The sound board gets AC power in the upper right connector, goes through the 2 fuses, through the bridge rectifier to make +12v and -12v, and then +12v is regulated by a 7805 to make the +5v. Check all of those to make sure you have the correct power available on the board.

After that there is a whole bunch more to investigate, but I'll let the pros take over. Pinwiki has a bunch of information about the type 1 and 2 sound boards.

#3 9 years ago

Look at some of hhasse threads... Has a video too of where to start... But first step is always press test switch on sound board after u make sure all connectors are pushed in... Push those ROMS in too to make sure they are seated.

#4 9 years ago

Check volume control knob. Crank it all the way up. If you get hum you know speaker is getting power.

Beyond that, you've received pretty much the basic troubleshooting advice.

Check fuses on sound board (4 amp slo blow)
Check and reseat connectors
Check and reseat socketed chips
Use the test button to see if you get sound

Depending upon the results from these steps determines what's next (sound boards, driver board, something in between.)

Gorgar is 35 years old. His guts are old and brittle and he doesn't take kindly to being moved about...

viperrwk

#6 9 years ago

ALL awesome and killer quick responses, this community rocks.

I will do some of the quicker checks tonight, but have the downtime to get into crack solder

LOL "his guts are old and brittle" -viperrwk

Oh and when I said connectors, I meand all the headers (?old molex type things) that had been unplugged for the move- everything seemed labeled and nothing loose or super obvious to me. I am lucky enough to get to work on these, son any help from you pros to get me to where I need to be is so helpful and awesome

-apprentice pinball wizard,
Jake

#7 9 years ago

Always make sure you start with a speaker you know that works, then troubleshoot.

#8 9 years ago

The sound connection is a small 2 wire connector. I only mention this because both times I moved my Gorgar, I forgot to plug it back in. The wire always seemed to get lost inside the cab during the move

5 years later
#9 4 years ago

Any update on this? What was your issue? Im going to be trying to diagnose a gorgar that suddenly stopped having sound.

#10 4 years ago

I had the same issue a year or two ago, reflowing the joints did the trick, still working today.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from KingHebes:

Any update on this? What was your issue? Im going to be trying to diagnose a gorgar that suddenly stopped having sound.

On mine, I eventually put in a different sound rom in..and no issues since

1 month later
#12 4 years ago

Updating my issue. I had a guy walk me through over the phone some test points with a multimeter on the sound board. It appeared my negative line wasnt giving a proper reading. The tests lead my friend to believe the bridge rectifier was bad. I got a replacement mda200 and put it on the board. I also reflowed all the headers for good measure. GORGAR! SPEAKS! AGAIN!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-sound-on-gorgar-cmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.