You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9FAFAB0A-C81F-4233-B3B6-6900C56EACCB (resized).jpeg
668F11A4-E49F-44BB-9A4E-F5EC55EB5EE1 (resized).jpeg
7F7FB372-1934-45E5-BBB4-2ECE813E510F (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

My future spa just suddenly stopped playing sounds.

I've only had it a couple of weeks and don't really know what it's had done to it, but looking at the boards:

There's a new MPU board (no brand name on it anywhere)
all of the caps on the sound board have been replaced.
Solenoid board and lamp driver (and aux lamp driver) look untouched -and test ok
rectifier board is a new replacement board
Displays are LED displays.

It was playing fine and then the sound just went.
The u4 ROM on the soundboard looked very corroded so I have replaced that.
Initally there was no sound after I installed it - so I did the usual thing of reseating all of the connectors:
Firstly I fiddled a bit with J1 on the sound board and the sound came back, but when I closed the headbox up and put the back glass back in, of course there was no sound.
Then I fiddled with J4 on the MPU and the sound came back, So i assumed it was a connector issue at J$ on the MPU, but I only had sound back for 1 game, and the next time I turned it on - no sound.

TP 1 and TP2 on the sound board have the correct voltages.

I'm not sure if the connectors are original or have been repinned.

I reflowed the solder to the headers on the sound board J1 and the mpu J4 but no change - still no sound.

My next plan of attack is to repin the MPU J4 connector and the Sound board J1 connector.

The MPU J4 is end of cable so I'll just do the standard molex pins (I haven't repinned before but it looks fairly straight forward). I've ordered the pins and connectors from Big Daddy as I couldn't find them in Australia (didn't know where to look). Hopefully they will turn up soon.

What I need help from the Pinsiders with is the J1 connector on the soundboard. It's a pass through style connector and I can't find any information on how to repin these. Can someone walk me through it?

668F11A4-E49F-44BB-9A4E-F5EC55EB5EE1 (resized).jpeg668F11A4-E49F-44BB-9A4E-F5EC55EB5EE1 (resized).jpeg7F7FB372-1934-45E5-BBB4-2ECE813E510F (resized).jpeg7F7FB372-1934-45E5-BBB4-2ECE813E510F (resized).jpeg9FAFAB0A-C81F-4233-B3B6-6900C56EACCB (resized).jpeg9FAFAB0A-C81F-4233-B3B6-6900C56EACCB (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

Take the wire you call a "pass through" connection and solder it to a single wire (pigtail) then connect the pigtail to your new Molex pin. In other words, turn two wires into one wire.

#3 2 years ago

I just got a Future Spa also but my issue is with the GI lights on playfield being dim. I ordered connector and pin kit from Big Daddy also. Hopefully it fixes it and didn’t waste $19 and will have to end up getting a new rectifier board. Hopefully repinning fixes it. It should since you had sound come back. Good luck.

#4 2 years ago

Did you only clean the pins of sound Rom U4? And you haven't changed its socket? I would definitely try that early.. If the pins were corroded, so Is that 35 year old low quality socket. These boars are notorious for having bad sockets.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

Did you only clean the pins of sound Rom U4? And you haven't changed its socket? I would definitely try that early.. If the pins were corroded, so Is that 35 year old low quality socket. These boars are notorious for having bad sockets.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes new U4 socket and New U4 Rom chip.

#6 2 years ago

Before you get too into this and start repining and unsoldering I always start with the simple stuff. Make sure the board is getting 12v. Make sure the speaker and volume controls are not dirty. Crank the volume controls on the board and on the door, (if there is one), back and forth a few times. Then resolder the connector pins.
I do not recommend chip or connector replacements except as a last resort. Once you start down that rabbit hole you expose the game to a whole world of possible hurt.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Before you get too into this and start repining and unsoldering I always start with the simple stuff. Make sure the board is getting 12v. Make sure the speaker and volume controls are not dirty. Crank the volume controls on the board and on the door, (if there is one), back and forth a few times. Then resolder the connector pins.
I do not recommend chip or connector replacements except as a last resort. Once you start down that rabbit hole you expose the game to a whole world of possible hurt.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I have done all the simple stuff, voltages are correct, speaker is fine, can hear the humming as the displays cycle. Volume control on the board works fine, there is no volume pot on the door. Board header pins have been resoldered and I have checked continuity of all cables going to the board from their source at the mpu and sdb ( from the outside of the connector pin )

So I have narrowed it down to:
Problem with the sound board
Problem with the MPU
Problem with the Solenoid driver board
Or a poor contact in one of the many connectors that are involved in the sound board.

I plan to swap out each of the boards for a known working one first to rule out a board issue before I attack the repinning of connectors. I’m just waiting on the new sound board to arrive.

However, the advice I have found online is that all header pins and connector pins should be replaced when you are restoring a machine, so I expect that it’s going to be there. I hope it’s not though and swapping out the sound board fixes it. I’ll keep you all posted.

#8 2 years ago

It has nothing to do with the solenoid driver board if your machine is booting properly.

You have basically already diagnosed the problem yourself. You messed with the connectors and the sound came back. So if you are able to crimp well, rebuild the connectors and see what that gets you before diving into the board.

1 month later
#9 2 years ago

An update, and still haven’t found the problem.

Swapped the as 2518-51 out for a new multi rom board (@barakandl) and the J1 connector seemed to be the issue. The position of the wires made a huge difference and just a small wiggle and the 5v disappeared. ( the onboard LED was very helpful in showing this). So I repinned the J1 connector and it seemed solid. No amount of wiggling of the wires caused any issue.

I put the original soundboard back in, and tried the wiggle test. It seemed fine. Sounded great.

However, after leaving the game on for 10 minutes the sounds stopped.

So what on the board could cause the sounds go after “warming up”.

The pins have been reflowed, it has new caps, and a new eprom.

I’m at a loss, the only similar problem I found on pinside was due to cold solder joints on the pins, but that’s not my problem.

Could any of the chips work when cold but fail when warm?

#10 2 years ago

try powering the board with an external 5v power supply?

does the led on the sound board stay lit when the sound goes out after 10 mins?

#11 2 years ago

So I just put the original board back in, as I hadn’t tried it cold after it stopped making sounds last week. But now it’s not working at all. It’s definitely a board issue, but I’m not sure where to look. As I’ve said, new caps, new eprom, new flowed pins. And it was working up until last week, there was definitely an issue with the J1 connector, I wonder if the power cutting in and out to the board has damaged a component.

Any pointers on where to look would be great. Any components on the board you would check/replace.

I’m guessing I’ll have to swap out some of the chips next. Hopefully it’s one of the socketed ones.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

try powering the board with an external 5v power supply?
does the led on the sound board stay lit when the sound goes out after 10 mins?

There’s no led on the original board.

#13 2 years ago

Repining the connector takes that off the table. Have you resoldered the boards pins?
When there is no sound use your meter to check for both 5v and 12v on the board. If the pin connections are rock solid and the voltages are good it's time to break out a scope and look for a component failure.

#14 2 years ago

IC Sockets and or IC's that fail when they start to heat up, etc. Processor and RAM are suspects.

2 weeks later
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

IC Sockets and or IC's that fail when they start to heat up, etc. Processor and RAM are suspects.

Yup, I’ve just changed the PIA and it seems to be working now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-sound-on-future-spa-again?hl=roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.