Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 months ago

I am trying to figure out why I have no sound on Flash.
The CPU self tests correctly. I can play a game without flaw. When I pushed the sound test button I get the background sounds. But one out of a number of games I will get full sound for about 10 seconds then all sounds are off. When I push the self test on the soundboard I have background sounds again. I did set the special setting correctly for background sounds.
Any ideas or suggestions?

#2 11 months ago

start with making sure the connectors are in good shape. Specially the signal input one.

Once the sound stops you can do some stuff like manually grounding the signal input pins to see it makes noise then.

#3 11 months ago

Board tested working in another machine.

#4 11 months ago

This happened several months ago on my Flash- reseated the cables to the brd & never happened again.

#5 11 months ago

I have reseated everything. I’ve also messed with connections while in game mode. Hasn’t made a difference unfortunately.

#6 11 months ago
Quoted from Push600:

Board tested working in another machine.

check the connection at the driver board side. I think it is driver j9, left side lowermost. double check wire colors to the sound board plug or a wiring diagram.

1 week later
#7 11 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

check the connection at the driver board side. I think it is driver j9, left side lowermost. double check wire colors to the sound board plug or a wiring diagram.

Went through this. No luck. Feel like doing a service call?

#8 11 months ago

Male connector on board looks great. Reflowed and cleaned. Still no luck. I have sound for about 10 seconds. Then nothing. Like clockwork.

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from Push600:

Male connector on board looks great. Reflowed and cleaned. Still no luck. I have sound for about 10 seconds. Then nothing. Like clockwork.

I have written some test ROMs from scratch that can be run in the game. You may find the 13-sounds ROM useful. Give it a try and see if it helps you find the problem. You could use it to trigger a repeating sound, and see if it plays for more than ten seconds without touching the machine (the repeating sounds are triggered only once from the ROM, and then nothing else goes on inside the game. The sound card should play forever or until you send a Cancel).

You can download them all in a single zip file from here: http://pincoder.reversion.ca

There is also a thread on this site where you can leave some feedback: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-williams-system-6-in-game-test-roms

Let me know how you make out!

#10 11 months ago

I know you said you did the sound setting correctly but just to verify... the setting number depends on the color of the roms used. See below thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-sound-issue#post-3616699

1 week later
#11 11 months ago

Sounds work for approx 5-10 seconds then shut off. Every time. Replaced 40 pin no change. Any suggestions?

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from Push600:

Sounds work for approx 5-10 seconds then shut off. Every time. Replaced 40 pin no change. Any suggestions?

Try and isolate. Is the CPU crashing or the amplifier dropping out...

Put the game in repeating sound test. Stick a logic probe on the DAC inputs. When the sound stops, does the PIA stimulating the DAC inputs also stop pulsing??

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.00
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pennsville Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 279.95
$ 50.00
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
1,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside