Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by thCapn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

One day it's fine and the next, nothing. The speaker has always had a low hum and still does (multimeter'd at 0.2V) so connections are good, as is the sound board fuse. All other connections are good. Pressing the test button on the sound board yields nothing. This particular sound board does not have a volume pot. No other issues.

Is there a way to check to see if the sound board is functional with a multimeter?

#2 13 years ago

check the capacitors on the sound board, also make sure the pot in the front of the game for volume control is working proper with your DMM. Reseat cables as well.

#3 13 years ago

I have seen that the hum is frequently due to the short distance between the transformer and the connector of the sound board .

Make the Good piece of advice from Maldoror +
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#sound
+ enlarge distance between connector and transformer

= just the sound for pleasure.

Totem at home = system1 at home ...

#4 13 years ago

perhaps if you had a speaker laying around with the same ohm value or near it you could swap it out?

#5 13 years ago

Also try reseating the eprom on the sound board (and any other socketed chips). It's possible the socket has just gotten dirty and a pin is no longer making a connection. Sockets are notorious for intermittent trouble but a necessary evil. I prefer using the gold plated Augat sockets with the round holes when I replace them.

#6 13 years ago

Cables and PROM re-seated. Capacitors checked (I think--I'm not an electronics whiz) and I may have a bad one. The fellow I recently bought the Genie from is sending me the sound board from his System 1 Incredible Hulk to try out.

As far as the hum is concerned, I figure it's likely due to the speaker's proximity to the transformers and lackluster shielding. I'm not worrying about it. I just want to get my Genie sounding proper again! It's not nearly as fun playing in "silent mode."

I wish this forum would notify me when people reply to my posts! Oy vey...

#7 13 years ago

It's karma .. the sound just went out today in my old Williams Phoenix. I'll let you know what I find. I'm on a mini-vacation for the holiday weekend so it's not a priority and I do have many other machines to play.

Problem is a dried up electrolytic capacitor. I'm taking it to work on tuesday and replacing all of them just because it's a good idea.

#8 13 years ago

I have another sound board on the way to swap out. We'll see what happens.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-sound-gottlieb-genie-system-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.