• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rlbohon3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

speak (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

So I just started a restoration on a Twilight Zone and one of the things I've noticed is that there is no (zero) sound coming from the woofer speaker in the cabinet, while the two backbox speakers seem to be working fine. If I disconnect a wire to the cabinet speaker, sound goes away (to be expected per the circuit), but how is there no sound coming from the cabinet speaker while it's definitely part of the circuit to run the backbox speakers?
Is this just a symptom of a dead, non-moving speaker, even though it still completes the circuit for the other speakers? Or, is this a sign of a dead cap or other component that feeds the cabinet speaker?
Thoughts?

The backbox speakers and cabinet speakers are separate circuits from the audio amplifier out. Some things to check:

1. Ohm out/continuity check from speaker terminals back to J1 of the sound board. You could have a broken wire, even one internally broken in the insulation jacket.

2. Check speaker ohms with a DMM/ohm meter. Could be a dead speaker.

3. Check J1 male/female pins, could be a failed crimp connector on the plug, or cracked solder connection to male header pins on the sound board.

4. If all the above checks out, then the next place to investigate is the sound board itself (the TDA2030 Amplifier component can fail for one) otherwise you'll need advanced skills to troubleshoot audio amplifier with an oscilloscope.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

I think wayout440 looked at the wrong sound board schematic in the WPC Schematic manual, as the board with the dual amplifiers is shown in there , but that's not the one used in Twilight Zone.
The speaker wiring I took from the fish tales manual , as it is missing from the TZ manual.
[quoted image]

OK. I took that from the link provide under the IPDB.com page for TZ, after not seeing the audio circuits in the TZ Manual at the same site.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 79.50
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-sound-from-cabinet-speaker-while-backbox-speakers-work-fine?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.