By PinballTilt

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JPmanualPg31 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballTilt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Ok guys, I thought I could solve this problem on my own but I haven't been successful.

I have a data east Jurassic park with no coils or flashers working. I have done a bunch of stuff chasing another problem since they last worked, so I'm not exactly sure what I messed up. My first thought was no power, but I'm getting 74 volts at j7 of the ppb. J7 is the output as i understand it after it comes from the transformer, is rectified, and fused.

From there the schematic isn't very clear on where the circuit leads. I would assume that power goes across each coil in the game and then back to the cpu. At the cpu it would go through a transistor that grounds it and of course some logic. All of the transistors I checked were not shorted. I also checked every fuse clip and fuse in the game and didn't find any that were bad.

This is a rottendog mpu and it appears to be booting. 5v and pia will come on, then pia goes off and blank comes on. 5 volts is always on.

Things that happened since this worked last- (all of this was done for a gi issue)
I replaced q28 on the mpu
I replaced u1 on the mpu
I swapped u5f on the mpu
I replaced the header pins on ppb for j5 and 2 fuse clips
I replaced the relay and diode on power supply
I replaced all gi connectors and pins

Powered it back up and q28 blew apart. So I removed q28 from the mpu and disconnected the gi relay connector on power supply. Gi works now, but solenoids and flashers don't.

I feel like it has to be something dumb, like a connector unplugged, fuse, or missing ground. The reason I'm posting is I think I've checked those dumb things and still it doesn't work. Can someone with more experience than me chime in with a suggestion or something to check? Thanks!

#3 6 years ago

Update - I have voltage at the coils and can ground a transistor to get the associated coil to fire. I tried both in the diagnostic menu and by playing a game.

If this were a left right relay issue I would expect to have either flashers or coils, but I don't seem to have either. I tested the flashers from the diagnostic menu, not sure of another way.

I can't seem to be able to play a game even of I simulate it by hitting switches. One suggestion I got was to look in to the blanking on the mpu. Also, before anyone suggests it, this is before data east put in the kill switch for the coin door

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Are you testing from the diagnostics menu? Have you seen page 31 in the manual (35 in the pdf at IPDB)?

Not sure what you are getting at. That page appears to be a rubber list or something

#7 6 years ago

Gotcha, thanks. That's interesting and I don't think I had noticed it before. Every single coil and flash lamp is out, so I'm looking for something in common

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Check f6 and f7, they protect flashers and coils and have a common line, oddly enough. I had an issue where a flasher was blowing f7, which also caused some coils not to function, but never blew f6. This is how my tftc is wired from factory, presume it’s the same for jp. Manual should have wiring schematic to follow.

Thanks for the suggestion. I re-checked my work and I have continuity across both of those fuses (lifted one side out of the fuse holder). I also have already replaced and bad fuse clips, so it shouldn't be that either.

I also just went ahead and tested the l/r relay and that is opening and closing like it should if I ground q29. Anyone know anything about blanking signals and if a dmm can measure them?

1 month later
#9 6 years ago

the issue was the blanking signals. Rottendog graciously repaired my board for me. Thanks all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballTilt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-solenoids-or-flashers-data-east?tu=PinballTilt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.