Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Axl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1515f1.jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Am I missing something...or does RK not have a skill shot...???...what other machines lack a skill shot...???.............Joey

#2 5 years ago

Depends on what era you're talking about. Pretty sure my '78 Bally SnS doesn't have a skill shot.

#3 5 years ago

Flash Gordon is the oldest machine I can think of with a skill shot. Maybe start with 1979 forward.

#4 5 years ago

F14.

#5 5 years ago

Which table did Roger Sharpe play at the New York city council/aldermen meeting? I'd definitely call that a skill shot, whichever game it was. Pretty sure it was pre-1979 too. They may not have prominently labeled a lot of the early ones "skill shots" but it doesn't mean the game didn't have one.

#6 5 years ago

Agreed, F14's design prohibited including a skill shot. For a similar reason, High Speed does not have one either, does it?

#7 5 years ago

Sharpe just called a lane and plunged into it. There was nothing otherwise special about it.

#8 5 years ago

Frickin IJ. One of my top 5, and I have always wondered why in that day and age there isn't one. Should be an AFM'ish one, hold the left flipper, it goes around, you hit whatever is lit.

#9 5 years ago

Hollywood Heat definitely doesn't have a skill shot... unless you count short plunging into the lower playfield to immediately go for the ramp shot for multiball if two balls are locked, but that's much riskier than doing an on-the-fly shot from the ball coming out of the upper playfield, which is where you would normally plunge the ball anyways. : P

#10 5 years ago

Pretty sure there's none on Goldeneye.

#11 5 years ago

X-files? I don't think picking Scully or Mulder requires skill...

#12 5 years ago

The Getaway. Then again, the game doesn't seem to suffer from not having one...

#13 5 years ago

The lame ass shot on Iron Man should not even be considered a skill shot

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from skquinn:

Agreed, F14's design prohibited including a skill shot. For a similar reason, High Speed does not have one either, does it?

Not really a skill shoot, but High Speed has options on the plunger. You can shoot for the traffic light, one of the hideouts or go for the upper flipper loop.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yaa I hear yaa...let me ask you this...would you rather have a lame one like IM...or none at all...???..............Joey

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Yaa I hear yaa...let me ask you this...would you rather have a lame one like IM...or none at all...???..............Joey

a skill shot should have at least a little bit of skill involved...with IM you get it every time...I would just as soon not have it if its a guaranteed shot

#17 5 years ago

^^^...fair enough...let's dig a little deeper...I'm sure this is debatable...what was the first game to have a skill shot...???...............Joey

#18 5 years ago

Technically, with any flipperless pin, the ENTIRE GAME is a skill shot! ; D

#19 5 years ago

Pretty sure the Getaway has one. Soft plunge then into the inner orbit. Been awhile since I played it though.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Pretty sure the Getaway has one. Soft plunge then into the inner orbit. Been awhile since I played it though.

Maybe you are thinking about High Speed? There is no way to control the pace of the ball after hitting the shift lever on the Getaway.

#22 5 years ago

What do you think the best skill shot is...???...my vote is for Tales of the Arabian Nights...it's fun and changes...and if you don't hit it a snake bites you...perfect...............Joey

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Flash Gordon is the oldest machine I can think of with a skill shot. Maybe start with 1979 forward.

It wasn't advertised as a skill shot, but Fireball had one almost 10 years earlier. It was very strategic (valuable) and not easy to do without practice. If you have to play Fireball in a tournament, by all means try to get in some practice time first to practice the skill shot.

Fireball also had multiball, zipper flippers and a spinning disk. If ever there was an LE EM, Fireball was it. It ruled the arcade around here for years.

#24 5 years ago

MB has weak skill shot like IM

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Disable the post and it's slightly harder

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Disable the post and it's slightly harder

Beat me to it

#28 5 years ago

Space Station is a very good game with no skill shot, unless you count the roll through lanes.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

It wasn't advertised as a skill shot, but Fireball had one almost 10 years earlier. It was very strategic (valuable) and not easy to do without practice. If you have to play Fireball in a tournament, by all means try to get in some practice time first to practice the skill shot.
Fireball also had multiball, zipper flippers and a spinning disk. If ever there was an LE EM, Fireball was it. It ruled the arcade around here for years.

Fireballs original documentation refer to the opening shot as the "top ramp skill shot feature"

#30 5 years ago

Not found one on my Truck Stop.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

A metric shitton of EM's have a lit lane, or a lane that can only be achieved at the top while the others are duplicated at the bottom like Spirit of 76

#32 5 years ago

IMO, any machine with a plunger has some kind of skill shot.

Quoted from calvin12:

Fireballs original documentation refer to the opening shot as the "top ramp skill shot feature"

From 1960- The moving target is advertised as "a real skill shot".

1515f1.jpg

#33 5 years ago

I love games that have 2-3 different skill shots. Like BBB and Monopoly for example. Also like the "hands free" skill shot on Elvis..., makes me wonder why they didn't think of that one sooner.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I love games that have 2-3 different skill shots. Like BBB and Monopoly for example. Also like the "hands free" skill shot on Elvis..., makes me wonder why they didn't think of that one sooner.

I mean, they did: all pre-firepower games with any sort of skill shot are 'hands free'. Most EMs have something that you'd like to plunge into at the top of the playfield, even if it's not labelled a skill shot. Even in the lane-change era, games like Creature had lane change switched off for the skill shot.

I find it interesting that labelling something a skill-shot draws attention to it in such a large way.

#35 5 years ago

Great point. It's interesting that when we say 'skill shot' we're talking about shot with an award that is only achievable during the plunge of a ball. Any old-style EMs that had had rollover lanes that could only be reached during a plunge essentially had as many skill shots as there were lanes.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

I haven't played Elvis enough to notice.
Do you mind elaborating on how that works?

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

I haven't played Elvis enough to notice.
Do you mind elaborating on how that works?

If you don't flip after plunging and plunge the lit lane, you get twice as many points. Same deal as a few other recentish sterns.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Interesting. The shot is mentioned prominently on the flier, but isn't referred to as a skill shot. The flier looks like it was thrown together pretty quickly though, so probably not a big surprise. No mention on the instruction card either. When you played one on location, you figured out how valuable it was quick.

#39 5 years ago

I'm 99% sure Monster Bash does have a skill shot at the top lanes. Might wanna remove it from list!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

From 1960- The moving target is advertised as "a real skill shot".

1515f1.jpg 114 KB

Does Solar City have a skill shot? The only one I can think of is a soft plunge onto the upper 3 roll overs, hoping to hit the 1000 point lit rollover.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Does Solar City have a skill shot? The only one I can think of is a soft plunge onto the upper 3 roll overs, hoping to hit the 1000 point lit rollover.

5000, equivalent to 5 drop targets

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

5000, equivalent to 5 drop targets

Correct (5000 points), I should actually proof read what I type before posting. Thanks

#44 5 years ago

No Skill shot: (2/3rds of my collection: 12 of 16)
-mof

Barracora
Black Hole
Black Knight
Centaur
Embryon
Fathom
Grand Lizard
High Speed
Seawitch
Sorcerer
Space Shuttle
Space Station

#45 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure Star Wars Trilogy doesn't have one

#46 5 years ago

Also Batman Forever. You choose an award when you fire the ball, but there's no skill to it...you just get whatever you picked.

#47 5 years ago

Grand Prix / Nascar has no skill shot...

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Yes. a very, very difficult skill shot to achieve. Maybe one of the hardest in pinball. No soft plunge will drop the ball in the lit lane on the farthest right. You have to rebound it in from the far left post. Still a very soft plunge.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Frickin IJ. One of my top 5, and I have always wondered why in that day and age there isn't one. Should be an AFM'ish one, hold the left flipper, it goes around, you hit whatever is lit.

I agree...it would be a welcome addition to a great game.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I got to make the rules, hitting a shot with the flippers or some other technique other than plunger control is not a skill shot. No plunger, no skill shot. (And skill shot is almost half the game on bagatelles.)

That also topples plunger games like TOM, BK and SOF which have no options except "ball goes in play or ball doesn't go in play" on the plunger.

You might be able to argue that you can control the speed the ball travels coming off of the ramp from that plunge... But that is really a stretch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside