(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,228 posts
  • 453 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by koji
  • Topic is favorited by 107 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 248 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 150 votes
      33%

(457 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240325_221629653 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8096331_0 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    431601171_294512636845936_6996028550009748198_n (resized).jpg
    Pinside_market_157961_0 (resized).jpg
    rainbow-centaur-mens-t-shirt (resized).jpg
    FdmlqFrR_400x400 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_084956_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_085002_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_0257.gif
    Screenshot_20240314_124458_Facebook (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Stems back to me calling out some Stern shills regarding ongoing production quality issues. One of them actually donated $50 to pinside after he found out that the "information" he posted was completely incorrect!
    Had no desire to start a feud with these people, just didn't like seeing obviously false claims being posted and encouraging others to spend lots of hard earned dollars on products with known issues. So they've branded me a Stern hater, even though I actually love Stern, own TWD, AC/DC and LOTR, have owned T3, XMLE, WPT and would love to add TSPP and MET at some point.
    Sorry for the slight derail, lets get back to colour GI fails!

You are about funny dude. I think you are giving me way to much credit if you think I have the ability to get someone to buy a game, that’s probably the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard anyone say. Now why don’t you tell these people the truth about how you love downvoting every one of my posts for no good reason other than the fact that you don’t like me. I can guarantee you that you have given me far more downvotes than I have given you and yeah you downvote me for no reason constantly. I’ll make you a deal, you stop the games and I will too ok? If you don’t want to do that though we will play all the games that you want to. You started this not me.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

How could he down vote you when hes had you blocked for 6 month. You have over 1100 down votes your ratio is terrible because your a troll.

He started doing that over a year ago, him and his little army. I could give a rats ass what you think also. I’m far from a troll but think what you want I don’t care.

1 month later
    #822 6 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

I de-puked my MM last night that the previous owner told me he spent $200 on a ''sweet'' led kit for it. It never really bothered me and these colored GI pics sometimes do look worse in pics then in person. I removed the green leds around the castle, the washed out reds by the top inlanes and I replaced all the GI bulbs with the proper white temp to match my added spotlights by the flipper area.

I think that LED kit looked pretty damn good honestly. It didn't look over done at all IMO. I would change it back to the way it was personally but it's your game so you make it look the way you want to and don't be influenced by other peoples opinions.

#826 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Yes!

That's what I've been saying, yes the overly saturated colors are bad, but a little color here are and there is A-ok, and it actually improves the look of the game.

Yeah I hate to say it but I personally like the before pic better than the after pic. I think a little bit of color is nice as long as it's not over done. People buy premiums because they like the color changing LED's and alot of the people who buy pro's add a little bit of color to them. Take TWD pro for example, it looks like shit from the factory with all of the white GI lighting, add a few color LED's to it and it changes the look (for the better) completely.

#828 6 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

I wasn't influenced by anyone's opinion or this thread. Changing the lightning on my games including MM has been on my to do list for a while. I took advantage of Comet's Black Friday sale a few weeks ago and my package finally arrived last Friday.
    I am pretty OCD and I like consistency across all my pins in terms of the way they look and play. MM is the only game in my collection with color accented GI. Here are some other pics of my pins where I updated the lightning on.

Warm white or natural white leds for GI only. If it interferes with game play such as flickering or strobing causing you to lose track of the ball then I go back to incandescent bulbs, I don't care how awesome it looks... remember function over form. I wanted to add leds to my TOM's GI to brighten things up but I know jpoop games use a lot of dimming. So I splurged for a GI OCD board and the game not only looks great but plays great as well. Thanks herg for making such an amazing product.

Those games all look great IMO. I kinda did like the MM LED kit though but it looks fantastic now also after you took the colors out of it. It's just whatever a person likes. I think the really bright blues and reds etc look like shit also but if it makes the owner of the game happy that's all that matters. The good thing is, if I buy a game like that, it's easy AF to change the light bulbs so it doesn't bother me any at all.

#832 6 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

Thanks and if you are interested in my old MM led kit I'll sell it to you for $100, that's half of what the previous owner paid
    Good thing with led lighting is it is 100 percent reversible if done in poor taste.

Buddy I wish I had a MM to put them on believe me. If I did I'd buy the kit off of you, not even joking.

#841 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So that's what I call white-puke
    Sunglasses ON when playing!

I wish that white puke was sitting in my basement. MM is awesome!

#1121 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well since I'm the one being called stupid here, thanks 6 years of college, I can tell you it's more of a speed/bad typing thing thing for me. 60% of the time I accidentally use a semi colon instead of an apostrophe because I;m typing fast. And it doesn;t matter anyway.
    Plus, the fact you think you're "better" than someone else and having to teach them to be "smarter" is completely offensive.
    Now, let's get back to idiots that color their games like simpletons and tell them how they're having their fun wrong.

I just can't imagine why anyone would think that about you? Oh yeah and news flash. ....I know lots of stupid college grads, they're everywhere!!

#1128 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey I'm not taking that from some Ohio heyseed!

Are there purp'd flipper toppers yet?

Lol

#1134 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

You combed back through several years of my posts so you could find some random tidbit about me to criticize.
    Because of a meaningless quibble in a current thread.
    And you think that's not the act of a loser troll?
    Okey dokey.

Wouldn't this guy qualify for the "Broken record" pinside violation? You know like 50 posts ago?

#1136 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Don't fire cannons in glass houses, dude.

Quoted from jar155:

Don't fire cannons in glass houses, dude.

Ok "Dude" lmao

#1147 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I use LEDs in most my games, but for GI, I will only use white LEDs. I color match inserts. LEDs are great, but putting color where color doesn't belong...that doesn't make the game pop. That makes the game look bad.

I agree, because TWD Pro's all white GI's look so good don't they?

#1152 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

That's funny because to day is actually my 50th birthday. I was one of those that said LEDs look terrible. That's because the older LEDs that were out were terrible. Then about 2 years ago I bought my first pin with LEDs in it and was amazed at how nice it looked. And yes it had a few tasteful color LEDs in the GI.

Happy Birthday!!!

#1189 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

When someone post a screen grab of my avatar picture and all the info and says nasty things yes my feelings were hurt and I took it personally because it was posted that way to MAKE it personal. I put months of my time and a lot of money into my mod in the hopes it would sell. I have another mod coming out shortly so I suppose I'll get another personal attack here.

I agree with you 100 percent...everything you said, but I find your post a little shocking because you thought the pinstadium thread was not a problem at all and that the owner of pinstadium will make more money because of the thread where everyone is bashing him. You should be happy because everyone will be buying your leg light up kits now right?

#1332 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

There's no bravery involved in writing anything anonymously on the internet. You might make a note of that.
    There is dislike for clown puke being expressed in this thread, mostly because it's genuinely awful.
    Which has caused some people to become offended and troll the thread. Such as you.
    That's what happens when people get used to getting a trophy for being in 11th place.
    A little honest feedback is seen as a stinging slap to the face.
    You are the second or third guy who tried to convince me that you're busting a gut with laughter over this thread.
    I guess that's supposed to be some sort of mighty burn. It would be if I was a 12 year old girl.

You really aren't anonymous just because you are hiding behind your computer screen. People can find you if they really want to bad enough. Thats why it's good practice to not say anything online that you wouldn't say to someone's face. The internet isn't as safe as some people may think.

#1341 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

One of my "new" friends that comes over for my monthly pinball meets. The HH and TAF backglass don't look to bad but the rest????

Seems like it would be impossible to see the ball in a dark room with those games.

#1359 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Thoughts on this Spiderman?
    Not sure what people's thoughts are to the LEDs in the very back. I actually don't mind this type of lighting.

Looks great to me but what really matters is, do YOU think it looks good? Don’t worry about what anyone else thinks.

1 week later
    #1570 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

when a game sits and sits and sits. Someone has to say something on why it's probably not selling. better for the seller and everyone. He's not happy his game is not selling and probably doesn't know why. So either has to change it and have the game show better, or lower the price to where someone doesn't care they have to do a bunch of work to it when they get home.

You restore playfields and you think that changing light bulbs is a lot of work? That doesn’t even make sense lol. You’re a cool guy NEO, don’t become a broken record like iRobot.

#1574 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

restoring playfields makes me money. If i'm paying going rate for a game, I don't want to spend 4 or 5 hours changing bulbs over. It does take work. I have games I have yet to take apart to change things over after I got them. Because I don't have the time to do it. Now if i'm getting the game dirt cheap. I don't care. I'll get to it eventually, but that time lost is time I could be working on stuff and making money, which always has priority over my "free" time.

I think changing the bulbs to your liking and personal taste is fun. I don’t like the real dark colored LED’s myself but some of these games with a hint of green or whatever color here and there look great and they are very tastefully done.......Colsand’s Vampire game for example and Pinfactory2000 had some nice examples as well. I think a little bit of color gives certain games character. It’s much better than a bland looking all white light game IMO.

#1576 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

GI's for me consist of a big pile of sunlight comet 2smbs. Then start taking the game apart and replacing everything.
    Color bulbs are only used under black or white printed inserts. Other than that, they never get used.

I can’t stand an all white or sunlight playfield. Talk about looking like shit, now that looks like shit!

#1591 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Not always.
    On Congo, its all Sunlight, other than 3 Ice Blue in Pops, with appropriate Caps.
    The common thing to do with the GI on this game, is to add Green to the GI under the Green Plastic Art.
    So, I tried all 15 plus bulbs, and none looked right. The best I could get was a prototype light Green I made, with
    Sunlight washing out the edges and that looked OK.
    Sure, your game, do whatever you want, but if all the games we are talking about were designed for incandescent,
    improving just that and only that does work......sometimes it doesnt.
    I have games with Sunlight in GI, but a few Incandescent left, simply because it looks better. The plastic screening
    wasnt thick enough.
    In this thread, we arent even addressing repro plastics, overhead lighting, etc.
    I received an email 2 days ago of a game with colored GI, the Pinsider wasnt happy, so that added a white LED
    strip source around the cabinet inside. Now he was happy, because the white light washed out the Colored GI.
    A long way around for a solution.

That Congo looks awesome Art but some green accents on it may not be a bad thing. It looks a little washed out in the flipper area, could just be the camera too I suppose.

#1667 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

yet another unhappy man stops by to complain.
    If you took all of the whining out of this thread, it would be 5 pages long.

If they were to take YOU and about 3 other people out of this thread It wouldn’t exist at all! lol

#1671 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I made another DIY "Pinstadium" kit for Baywatch tonight. I just needed white LED lighting to evenly illuminate the playfield. So these lights do not flash with the GI, they are simply lighting the PF so you can see the artwork and track the ball. Same kit I made for Big Hurt, which like Baywatch is sorely lacking in lighting.
    I had to hardwire 12v for Big Hurt since there wasn't a service outlet. But this kit I want to be able to move to any other game by powering it from the service outlet. I have lots of spare power supplies saved and fished out two 12v wall warts that had the proper size tips.
    I also had a strip of PVC angle and used it even thought it was 3/4" wide, no big deal, but 1/2" is plenty wide.

Looks much better!

1 week later
    #1896 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

At the heart of the argument is the fact that the games were originally designed for white incandescent bulbs for both GI and accents (like inserts).
    When you put colored bulbs for accent lighting in the GI sockets on the playfield and back box, it doesn't quite work perfectly because the game artwork was not designed for colored bulbs.
    So technically, it's "incorrect" to use colored lighting for GI since the game was designed for white bulbs.
    If you were working at the Williams factory in 1992 and you put all purple bulbs in a TZ, the supervisor would say it was incorrect.
    The "incorrectness" manifests itself in the form of the general weirdness of the look of the game, like the Rod Serling's face being purple. Or the playfield art sort of disappearing into a haze of purple light.
    From an aesthetic standpoint, it's NOT "incorrect". If someone wants to paint their entire game with day-glo orange marking paint and thinks it's beautiful, then it's beautiful. There's no wrong answer from an aesthetic standpoint.
    Technically, clown puke is wrong because GI lighting was not designed for colored accent bulbs.
    Aesthetically, it is not wrong, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    BTW, you don't need to use an analogy to illustrate a simple point. if you're talking about vegetables in a pinball thread, you're making work for yourself.

Holy shit dude, all i can think about everytime I read your posts is "Broken record"

I never thought anyone's posts could bore me to sleep any faster than Black Knights but you have absolutely achieved that!

#1979 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

You forgot to write "Can we get back to the pics?!?!?!" to disguise your purpose of being in this thread as an appeal to civility.

No, that was me sarcastically comparing clown puke fans to someone who eats a sandwich made of tuna and chocolate and jelly.
    See, the clown puke fans love clown puke because it makes the games BURST with mega-light and circus-color.
    Because more brightness and color is always BETTER. Just like more sandwich flavors in a sandwich are always better.
    Why not make a sandwich from crushed jolly ranchers and swiss cheese and cake icing and top it with 1/2 inch layer of mustard? It will BURST with FLAVOR. And that's BETTER.
    And that's our goal in re-decorating our pins with LEDs. Why not make a cowboy glow purple and blue? It BURSTS with EXCITING COLOR. And that's BETTER.
    MORE flavor or color is ALWAYS BETTER, no matter what.

3 weeks later
    #2225 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Everybody should just stick to passive aggressive thumbing, like Colsond3 and who-dey, right? Gotta keep it real mature and avoid that childish crap, don't we?

Lol i find it hilarious that you bring my name up when i haven't even posted anything in this silly thread in forever. If it wasnt for you and like 2 or 3 other people, this useless thread would have been dead the same day that it started because NOBODY cares about it.

Thanks for putting me in the same group as Colsond though, he's a pretty cool guy and a guy that i don't mind being compared too!

#2227 6 years ago

I haven't even been giving hardly any thumb down votes either that i know of? Maybe a couple to irobot here or there because he says the same things over and over and over again day after day after day.

I do think its hilarious though that i am stuck in your head as bad as i am especially in a thread that i find so stupid and boring that i wont even participate in anymore. The good news though Jar is if you keep having these thoughts of Who Dey running through your head uncontrollably that there is help avaliable for you. Good luck Buddy and if i can be of any help to you please dont hesitate to let me know.

#2229 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Ssshhh. Just go. Just stop clicking on a thread you dislike so much. Do that for you. Sure, we'll benefit from that too, but do it for you.

Thats pretty much exactly what i have done. I still pop in to laugh and smh at how silly you 3 or 4 grown men are acting though about colored LED's. I find it pretty comical but just not worthy of posting anything about it in the thread. Don't you think that your pinball knowledge is a little better than wasting it on a clown puke thread?

#2233 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I like the way that the trolls to this thread declare that the thread is beneath them, as they fill up 45 pages with petty insults.
    And they insist that everyone else is "triggered" as they fill up 45 pages with petty insults.
    And they insist that everyone else is a hateful jerk as they fill up 45 pages with petty insults.
    And they insist that everyone else is a "basement dweller" as they fill up 45 pages with petty insults.
    Starting to see a pattern there?
    All because someone had the nerve to say that a pinball machine that's glowing bright purple looks bad.

I can't say what i want to anyway without the moderators getting on me or ejecting me from the thread so why even bother? If i told you how i really felt i would get banned permanently from the thread and im not willing to give you that satisfaction.

#2261 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

why?
    what is so wrong with this topic?
    here we have a new fad where people are hugely changing the look of pinball games by putting colored bulbs in them.
    they're not changing the look a little bit, or doing some small enhancement, they are making the original game art disappear in a glow of LED light
    a lot of times the lighting is so random and goofy it looks like the work of a 5 year old.
    why would you expect that everyone would like this huge change?
    why are you outraged that some people don't like it?
    do you think that nobody should say so?
    seriously, look at the pictures in thread and ask yourself if everyone should politely praise them

I am not outraged or even mad a little bit. I think when people color bomb games that they look like sh*t also so i am with you on that trust me. With that being said though i dont care what people do to their games either. If they think it looks good and it makes them happy then more power to them. The bottom line is i just dont care if someone puts colored lights in their games and i cant imagine why anyone else would either.

#2263 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

There is a easy fix ban the 3 obvious trolls.
    Wayout440, who-dey and pinfactory2000.
    Instead of a founding member of the club MAKEN who stepped a little over the line because of constant trolling by these 3 who go un-moderated.

Please show everybody my constant trolling of this thread ok? Until yesterday i havent even posted in this thread for about a month and ive probably posted to this thread like 20 times total and they were not trolling posts either. This thread is goofy and i could care less about it. I also had absolutely nothing to do with Maken getting banned from this thread. If you are going to call me out by name publicly on here at least get your facts straight and make sure that i do what you are accusing me of first ok?

#2265 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Upvoting every troll post is also trolling.

So you are seriously going to tell me that im not allowed to give Colsond or Pinfactory upvotes when they say something that i agree with? Are you really being serious right now?? Please run and tell the moderators that Who Dey is trolling by giving people upvotes, that would be pretty funny!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.