(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_market_175921_1 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831025059 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831007017 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_175932 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0286 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_174801_31 (resized).jpg
    432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rascal_h.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#557 6 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

I generally don’t like coloured GI but when I bought my TWD Pro it had amber incandescents in the lower GI. I switched them back to white LEDs but missed the look it had. So I have since gone back to amber but with LEDs.

Actually don’t mind these amber led in TWD. I’m getting a TWD next week so I’ve been watching a bunch of videos. Was thinking there was too much cool white everywhere. Almost want to switch to incandescent.

#562 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

switch to Warm white then, it's a happy medium between the 2. I think you will be happy with the results. Especially with the brown pallet used on the game. the warm should have been used instead of cool.

Good idea, thanks

#581 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

This thread actually contains two kinds of puke: rainbow puke and monochromatic puke.

Yeah, not sure what they ate to give all this purple and blue puke.

#630 6 years ago

Doctor Who and Fastbreak look amazing with regular incandescent. The glow of the bulbs on the orange can’t be beat.

#637 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

"It looks amazing!"

Looks like every BSD I’ve seen. That game is a favorite for the pukers.

#674 6 years ago

In the process of devolutionizing my TWD pro back to regular incandescent bulbs. Hope the game can handle it.

#683 6 years ago
    Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I guess the key is learning from your mistakes. This was my second pinball and my first attempt at LEDs 5 years ago. Then a different pin I restored a month ago. I'm still learning.

Yes! That’s a perfect illustration of how a lot of us looked starting out and how a pin can look if done nicely.

#729 6 years ago
    Quoted from matt_adams:

On sale in the UK with LED "upgrade" ahhhhh my eyes!

A3B42EB7-E3AF-4DF2-9065-6AD778F40C38 (resized).jpegA3B42EB7-E3AF-4DF2-9065-6AD778F40C38 (resized).jpeg

#773 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Personally, I love LED color changing speaker kits.

I just disconnected that on a TWD. Glare city.

#795 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

LMFAO. Doing the inserts in random colors doesn't make sense, I often try to match the inserts with color so they are task related, and easily discernible by people that don't necessarily know the rule set.
    The problem is a lot of games have dark playfields, so unless you add a ton of spots, the artwork doesn't really pop regardless. Adding certain colored LEDs just drowns it out more.
    Some games look good with "some" color G.I. in my opinion, some games don't. Cool white is always good. I don't have any problem with accents. I think my Frankenstein looks pretty damn good, even with the splash of color.

Looks good and well placed spots.

4 weeks later
    #1801 6 years ago

I’ll be back y’all

199AD022-AC7E-472C-90FF-F91EA0F40E07 (resized).png199AD022-AC7E-472C-90FF-F91EA0F40E07 (resized).png

#1837 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I don't understand what the point is to any of this bickering.
    There's no convincing to be done on either side.
    Obviously, the vendors are selling LED kits and people are buying them. So clown puke is very popular. Which matters not. It's not an election.
    And.. there's no right or wrong answer. If you like your LOTR glowing bright red, then you like it. If you don't you don't.
    Changing the bulbs doesn't actually hurt the game, so it's a morally neutral act.
    From an objective standpoint, there are actual pros and cons to using LEDs.
    CONS:
    Because the games were designed for white incandescent bulbs, there are a few functional negatives to using LEDs.
    1. A colored light shining on a painted surface will wash out the painted surface, it turns the other colors grey and black. So the game gets monochromatic. This problem wasn't considered when the game artwork was originally created. If they had colored LEDs back in 1990, they would have made the artwork more LED friendly. As it is, you end up with the original artwork disappearing into a muddy purple haze.
    2. Similarly, because the games were mostly designed for white bulbs to be used as illumination, the bulb light spreads all over. So there is some clumsiness if you try to use bulbs for accent lighting, because the accent color bleeds everywhere. Like when colored bulbs are used in the translite and the color bleeds all over the artwork or turns into a circular blob that doesn't match the shape of the item being accented.
    3. Some games have variable lighting effects which don't work with LEDs.
    PROs:
    1. A situation where the LEDs can be exploited to good effect is a game that is under-illuminated, where the brighter bulb could be used here and there.
    2. Or for inserts, where the color of the bulb matches the insert color and the color bleed is controlled by the shape of the insert cutout in the playfield. Why not used a colored bulb to make some tired old insert look better? Within reason.
    The above are the practical aspects of using LEDs. The philosophical and aesthetic aspects are not subject to any logic, so there's no point in arguing.

For anyone questioning the point of the topic. Look at the magazine rack in the checkout aise of any supermarket. There’s bound to be a few gossipy titles like “Best / Worst Dressed” or “SHE WORE WHAT?!”.

Now apply it to pinball. We’re having fun judging our picks for “worst dressed”. Nothing more than that. I don’t think anyone here is really trying make someone change their ways.

#1918 6 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

No one is arguing it doesn't looks like shit. They're arguing you're taking the effort to point it out as if you're the led police with nothing better to do. What is your goal, shaming them to stop doing something to their own machines? Nothing productive to do?

You might be the only one not in on the joke.

2 weeks later
    #2122 6 years ago

4C311C46-DAC8-4568-A9D8-467EBC642B17 (resized).jpeg4C311C46-DAC8-4568-A9D8-467EBC642B17 (resized).jpeg

9E3AC3D0-3A81-4A3B-99B7-5A443889D968 (resized).jpeg9E3AC3D0-3A81-4A3B-99B7-5A443889D968 (resized).jpeg

#2136 6 years ago

Took me way longer than it should have to know that first pic was of a Waterworld.

#2206 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Not GI, but think how much money was spent for this backbox kit to make the game look terrible.

I saw that on an Aerosmith and thought something was wrong with the game.

1 month later
    #2683 6 years ago

Instagram.

350EFADD-90AC-4054-81D0-93B5FF592F29 (resized).jpeg350EFADD-90AC-4054-81D0-93B5FF592F29 (resized).jpeg

#2698 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Really more work went into that than should ever be spent on a LW3

Can’t even find the motivation to change the rubbers on mine.

1 week later
    #2755 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

"Which one do you prefer?" Real question asked by a real person. Their identity will be anonymous to protect the innocent.
    (I think it's PS'd but even the thought of it....)

The first one because it’s perfect for the holiday season.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rascal_h.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=rascal_h and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.