(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,209 posts
  • 452 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 106 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 248 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 58 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 150 votes
      33%

(456 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_market_157961_0 (resized).jpg
    rainbow-centaur-mens-t-shirt (resized).jpg
    FdmlqFrR_400x400 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_084956_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_085002_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_0257.gif
    Screenshot_20240314_124458_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240312-190113 (resized).png
    Pinside_forum_8057803_0 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7360 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7324 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7307 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    id-44 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6757 (resized).jpeg
    img_0604.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#91 6 years ago

Ow! Ow! Ow!

I never made these products to be so badly abused!

I've never seen some of these pics before.

I hope those that do this don't do So with their Christmas lights!

( or light their Menorah with RGB or colored bulbs!)

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

Ugh. . . who color coordinates inserts. . . The only color that needs coordinating is red, it washes out. Please put green under teals. . it looks great! Warm under warms, cool under cools . . that is it.

Actually, I have found after maybe 200 games, it depends....anything Stern, I agree for almost all.
    Take the blues in TSPP, I prefer ice blue, but warm white looks not so good.

Williams not so.
    Just an example RS or TZ, inserts that are all yellow, or orange, some of the plastics varied in thickness, color, and plastic degradation.
    RS bonus lights, I needed a different bulb under each one to match.

Lastly, to get yellow inserts richer, a 2 smd frosted, works better, especially if the insert plastic is aged, crazed, or thin.

But overall, I'll agree, I'm just anal.

#160 6 years ago

I don't think I've ever used a blue bulb in an insert... rarely in GI.
    I know others can see the ball in a colored GI,
    They hurt my tired old eyes.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude in my reply,
    I appreciate the support for Comet, as well.

#169 6 years ago

While the cameras do distort the color spread
    of the LEDs, everyone sees them different.
    A doctor in my family, has been color blind at birth. He has studied this.
    When he saw a game with colored LEDs in GI,
    he sees the intensity, and brightness.
    He says it really hurts his eyes.
    (But not white hue GI)
    He ventures to say, we might be hurting ours and not know, with prolonged exposure, from yet unknown research.
    Over bright flashing LEDs being the worst.

Kinda like loud music in our cars, headphones, showing up in hearing problems.

I hope we don't get " Pinball Eyes" later in life.

Goofy_cross-eyed (resized).jpgGoofy_cross-eyed (resized).jpg

#312 6 years ago

Ive done way too many fish tales

A couple Ice Blue, all 3 Kelvins in white, and the right brightness in the letters...

Approx 6 different type bulbs. What I see when color is added, is all 1 SMD or brighter, and Dark Blue for Water.
    sometimes buffered by Purple, or creating Purple to the eye and camera from mixing,

If one wants to add color, Im fine, please dont hate me, just spend a few bucks and add some lower brightness, or leave a few out of the backbox.

Its lighting art, and there are all kinds of "tools" in bulb selection that can make a difference.

No light bleed on colors for letters, or objects, balance the brightness in the remainder, add if your over the top, add additional Matrix strips with dimmers on them and scale back the lighting.

Create a depth of field, if you want the art to pop and get a 3D affect, in this case, the Green Fish being the brightest object.

Cameras cannot capture this, no matter how Ive tried.

All, just IMO, and my Experiences. This does not work for all Backboxes...not at all. But many,
    I use Incandescent mixed with LEDs many times too.

#315 6 years ago

I did in threads, and then on the website in principals...people dont read.
    Pages had very low hit counts.

It requires an Inventory of many bulbs, an extra couple hundred dollars.

Everyone sees light different, as well as Ambient home lighting.
    You know, Play in the dark, light up a game like a Christmas Tree!

Im not against it, I just dont think all games need it or look good.

Sure, I want to see the Ball, but I like darkness too.....Too much yin, not enough yang.

#317 6 years ago

Look at just the Red color in the pictures.

People reading this thread see all the detail of the color washed out.
    Thats what the camera took, and it may or may not be how it looks in person.
    No way of knowing. until a physical look.
    If the bulb is a 1 SMD or Brighter, it would be wrong, IMO.
    It should be a single LED at most, maybe a 2 LED frosted,
    It might be a flat top, I sanded the top only to diffuse.

The attempt is to light the box red, and only the box, but not too bright, or too light.

In the absence of having 10 different red bulbs to try, its simpler to use a white frosted and be done.

who stares at the backbox anyway?

The point is if color is used in a backbox, it should never over power the graphics.

And if you have white water or other games with water and you want blue, get Ice blue, and an assortment of brightness of this and blue and think that you are lighting water....Does your result look like water? Or is it a bunch of Blue Blob creeping into the rest.

Ive had to also make cardboard "dividers" to glue between objects to control light bleed, when I wanted to use color.

For me, the debate isnt Yes or No...Use color or dont, use LEDs, or dont, its more a matter of do what you want, but make it look good.

#326 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

This is what I wanted in this thread. I started it and I love leds. I do all my games in leds. But gi is either cool or warm white.

Or Sunlight...95% of my games....worth a try.....

#328 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Well Art, I ordered sacks of Frosted Warm from you after seeing your recommendation to Jim at The Sanctum.
    I had older games like Dirty Harry next to new games like Stern KISS. The new games were so bright they made my game look like it was turned off. So 2 SMD frosted Warm in the GI made it brighter, but unchanged look wise.
    Then for dark games with blue / black themes Art said to go with the cool.
    I was not steered wrong.

Jim had requested the Warm White....the Kevin closest to Incandescent. Sunlight is simply a compromise with a Kelvin in between..
    Kinda like Goldilocks! Porridge Too Cold, Too Hot, the one in the middle.

Everyones taste is different, and when the threads 4 -5 years ago had constant debates between using Warm vs Cool, I heard this, and made one in between.

#331 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Well, after Jim was done I was impressed. Even on older games they lit the plastics, kept the color, did not hurt me old eyes directly (that LED vibrations effect) or the worst of the bunch, the reflections off a rolling ball that make you think a high speed disco ball is flying around.

You make a very wise point with the reflection off the ball.
    It bothers me too.....I wonder how many others?

#422 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I don't think the color inserts are random! I feel it separates them from each other! The crosses are purple btw!.. i feel the white just looks too boring and plain for the inserts and the colors seem to give the playfield life! These are all Chinese bulbs btw..no fancy comet super bright triple surface diode shit! Cheeeap!

...and a reason your purples look pink!

#430 6 years ago

I can feel OK with 1 colored bulb in GI, surrounded by white, if the art allows, like one red bulb in GB,
    but I wonder if what the camera sees, that we dont see, will haunt peoples eyes in the years to come.

Kinda like loud car speakers when I was young, affecting my hearing today.

#433 6 years ago

Yup! I tried to share through the years that Purple wasnt White.....

#461 6 years ago

Into the Blue!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#481 6 years ago

Old guy like me, I cant play a single game on these.....cant see the ball, and my eyes hurt.

Young eyes, may be OK, but Im going to bet in 20 years we will have posts of eye issues from the overdone
    colors.....

#513 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

amazon.com link »
    Lightning deal on Amazon for another hour for only $25. DIY your own Pin Stadium style lighting kit.

Try a USB Micro strip for TVs on Ebay, add a dimmer, and attach to GI, warm white as well.
    About $10, for GI controlled version....

#546 6 years ago

Im an old fart, with 47 years owning pins, and hundred and hundreds of games LED since 1978.

As a businessman, everybody said...Why dont you make "kits", the Hot look is Colored GI!

I just couldnt do it. I didnt wish to insult anyone that over colored their GI...its their game, they could take all the bulbs out
    If it made them happy, or put strobes all over.

But other than an accent, or if it was a bit more color, it never bled into an area to kinda ruin the art.
    So a couple bulbs, just personally I found OK.

But 95% of the time it was a shade of white.

Science? Easy. Step outside, is the Sunlight, Purple? Do you work in an office with all lighting Blue?
    If you stare at these long enough when playing, I believe one can damage their eyes.
    Why? because since our first opening of our eyes in Mankinds history, our eyes, and how they are made,
    were not ever part of a long BLUE LED exposure.
    One may be able to see it fine now...but I dont think everyone will come away after long term use.

Of course if you have overhead lighting, or play for 10 minutes, likely no issues.
    But Hours, in the Dark, with These colors...I just have to go by my experience and the Science of Nature and the sun.

Hence the Kelvin of Sunlight Bulbs.

No insult meant if you want to color all blue, red or even Black Leds...your game, your eyes.

Just one of those old men trying to share, and old enough to know it doesnt matter if you listen.....

#627 6 years ago

How to use whites in GI.....Sunlight Fluted for a Star Burst Pattern, which works with the Art!
    (2 bulbs are frosted due to art and eye lineup, 1 is a 1 SMD Frosted)
    10 SMD Aluminum Flashers, color matched inserts, purple passion in center inserts.

Not a great Pic, but stunning in person.

Old habit...sorry to return to that..just feeling melancholy over the pics posted.....

#657 6 years ago

My Christmas tree is getting Jealous!

#671 6 years ago

I hope I dont go fishing for compliments too often, but my RS was at Als Christmas Party last night, (thank you Al, and Mustang Paul was down from MN), and the attention was overwhelming!

While I created the fluted lens for this reason only, GI.

I couldnt get many people to appreciate it.
    Most were hung up on Purple GI as the only thing.

Take a look at this...a bit too much glare from camera, and if you have a warm game, FT, RS, NBAFB, or just like Warm White in GI, try a 25 pack of 44/47 Fluted Warm....no benefit to me, so I dont want to appear Im plugging.

If you like the lights in MM new lighting, (this is better) or have a desire to be bold, add these, and see something pretty cool.
    Its a Twin 2835, in a Star Burst Pattern! I made 6 models of the lens at great expense, to get right and have stippled the top for disbursement. On occasion with light plastic printing, sometimes I have to mix in a frosted.

RS stood out, Im proud to share.

rs (resized).jpgrs (resized).jpg

#676 6 years ago

I mix often, where it looks good to me.

Mostly, I have used the shades of white to light progressive white inserts, like in Ironman.

white-sunlight-warm white-yellow-orange-red.

A color scheme often in the plastics in B/W,
    but some newer games were shipped with all white inserts and all white bulbs...

#684 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Not just glare, but also blinding white spotting. This is a case where you can really see how different a game will look on a photo compared to real life. Even some of the disaster color bombed games look 10 or 100 times worse in pictures than in real life.

Indeed, Cameras pull the colored/white spectrum further than they show to the eye.

However, the main goal is to see the ball and Play pinball.
    Any lighting, regardless of color that makes this harder is not correct, IMHO.
    I feel if one wants Blue in GI, if its not a small accent, it should have sockets for more white around it.
    Same in backbox. Color can be OK, when used right, but the bigger error is using the right bulb.

I agree this is harder for most all, without an investment in stock of LEDs,
    but rarely, do I ever do a game where all the bulbs are from the same series.
    If it does happen, its almost always a Stern.

Some games can be done in 2 hours, others have taken days, or revisited several times.
    A Translite gets taken in an out dozens of times. A bulb gets changed a month later.
    OCD, Anal, and a pain, but I can respect others, that just want it simple, and done.

I think the answer in this thread, and while its kinda fun to see the bad jobs, is simply as I have always shared.
    Visit a show, check out friends collection, play on both a well lit, and color bombed game, and let your eyes be the
    judge.

But a caveat. and one I share, but now know more. Had a friend who Purple bombed their GI, Blues in all GI in others,
    and then started getting migraines. Went to doctors, took meds, nothing worked.
    Stopped playing his pins, and the migraines went away.
    He is now changing all the GI to white.
    This was a conversation that concluded just this week!

Another example is my cousin who is color blind.
    When he sees a pin with white GI, he can play. With Colored GI, he not only does not see
    the color, but the extra glow from Cameras on Colored GI, he sees as a graduated wash of gray.
    For him, it was not possible to follow or even see the ball sometimes on a BSD with Blue GI.
    It was very interesting, to say the least, to get his view on how LED colors affected a game.

Anyone else here Color blind?

#721 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

why did the bulb vendors even come up with a lot of this crap? who was asking them for a GI bulb that's 10x as bright as the game was designed for?

Because All Pinball Manufacturers, and many customers asked for them.

The Twin SMD are in every new Stern, since AC/DC.

Not the Vendor...its the poor use of by people.

#756 6 years ago

On this subject, try to imagine 3 years of email battles, where I was asked, "Whats Best", I give my opinion which if disagrees,
    turns into an email battle. So, I explained in all in Pics, and diagrams, and sent links....Those that like all this color, whether
    they read or not still disagreed.
    I had to give up sharing my opinion, as Id need to do it 3-4 times a day, with different people, resulting in 6-12 emails a day per person.

Literally 2 hours a day, every day, going over this!!

Exhausting, insulting and brutal on a person.

If you like all this color...good for you.
    If you dont, this thread helps share why.

Dark in the back? Try Op max, or a Strip. $10-$15
    Want to frame your game in white light that works off of GI, $10.

Adding more color doesnt help.

#792 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Examples like this are what I really don't understand. Why just take and change white inserts to colors with no relevance to the game or the mode just to make a game look like a circus? Let's see, put some pink here, purple here, some blue here. I guess it doesn't have bright green GI under the slings so that's something.

To me, the Greens, Pinks, and Purples in the inserts are out of place with the color palette used in this game.

#812 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Price Police. LED Nazis. Everybody wants to be an expert and dictate the way they think things should be. Shaming, pulling the " BS Authority Card" , crowd piling of like minded sycophants.
    To those who illuminate their games they way they see fit, more power to you.

A bit extreme......perhaps?

Sure, people can do whatever they wish....its their Property, and no one is saying they cant.

Its more a Poke, at what many feel is simply wrong. like a thread on Poor Christmas house lighting, or Walmart dressing.
    It should be taken for just that, and no one she feel insulted, if this is what they like for their game.
    (My apologies if you do)

No Nazis.....There are Good LEDers on Both Sides!

But Ill Hang on to my BS Authority Card, I got it out of a Cereal Box at the Holiday Inn I was staying at!

#912 6 years ago

#959 6 years ago

This thread is so funny!

#972 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

That’s the only one of your games that actually looks good with that formula. But hey it’s your game so more POWER to you.

I would hope not.
    I made enough variety, product, and brightness controls to achieve any look.
    If someone uses the wrong 'tool', that is the issue. Color can be fine, when done right.

#1053 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Yeah, Mr. Robot is getting a little out of hand...and consistently. Hating on clown puked games? Ok. Attacking people, their lifestyle, their ambitions or position in life...spells asshole to me. I was posting my own games in here and going along with the input and criticism, and having a few laughs.
    But come on man...

And your most contradictory posts:

Practice what you preach much? You must be a joy to be around every day. Take a step down off your "everyone else is stupid" and "holier than thou" pedestal, and let's get back to having fun in this thread and bashing games you disagree with the bulb choices on, not the people themselves.

Even Im insulted by this trolling!

#1120 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

It's sad how this thread is one of the best on pinside lately. It's like a blind speaking with a mute.
    I saw 2 of my old games on trial. I was kind of honored

9dnXej8Pf6-8 (resized).png9dnXej8Pf6-8 (resized).png

Deaf, dumb, and blind, mime.....the only way to choose LEDs!

#1216 6 years ago

I suppose its not any worse than the dozen emails I had through the years for Black LEDs.....Go figure!

#1445 6 years ago

#1478 6 years ago

Kinda funny cause the "Look" being complained about would describe all the men that signed the Constitution.
    Wigs, Stockings, and Dress......

#1535 6 years ago

This thread is payback for me....use to be dozens of emails a day..."How do I LED my game?"

Reply with a discussion on white bulbs, how to use, and a link with info.

Then the reply, "But I want to use Purple, Blue, or red, in my GI, not white...why dont you recommend that?"

and I'd answer, they'd reply and my life became this thread.

I gave up.

I said "Read, or do as you wish". "But Purple is BETTER!" Why?, "I read it!" OK, do it! Back and forth!!

Still, the arguments came....for me now, seeing the pictures, and the posts now from the sidelines on a subject I dare
    not breach in business, is a Joy beyond words!!!

Thank you for all posts and pictures!

#1578 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I can’t stand an all white or sunlight playfield. Talk about looking like shit, now that looks like shit!

Not always.

On Congo, its all Sunlight, other than 3 Ice Blue in Pops, with appropriate Caps.

The common thing to do with the GI on this game, is to add Green to the GI under the Green Plastic Art.
    So, I tried all 15 plus bulbs, and none looked right. The best I could get was a prototype light Green I made, with
    Sunlight washing out the edges and that looked OK.

Sure, your game, do whatever you want, but if all the games we are talking about were designed for incandescent,
    improving just that and only that does work......sometimes it doesnt.

I have games with Sunlight in GI, but a few Incandescent left, simply because it looks better. The plastic screening
    wasnt thick enough.

In this thread, we arent even addressing repro plastics, overhead lighting, etc.

I received an email 2 days ago of a game with colored GI, the Pinsider wasnt happy, so that added a white LED
    strip source around the cabinet inside. Now he was happy, because the white light washed out the Colored GI.
    A long way around for a solution.

congo 6 (resized).jpgcongo 6 (resized).jpg

#1607 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

No hair here. Been shaving it off for 20+ years.
    Those awful know-it-alls. Why listen to Neo, Bryan or Art? What have they done in the hobby? Listen to people who can change a bulb but not adjust a flipper.
    Why don't you go to the LED threads and stay away from this club? It seems to upset you to the point where you can't help but insult the people here. You've just called us dipshits, know-it-alls and (gasp) grouchy.

Too Funny.....Heres My Christmas T-Shirt!!!

#1701 6 years ago

OK, Ill take the Blame...its my Fault.

What would you do?

Maybe 300 plus pictures and personal emails sharing the games that pinsiders LED.

All kings of lighting.....some, that are foreign even to pics already posted!

Its like showing a picture of your infant to someone....no one is going to say, "what an ugly baby!".

1 week later
    #1838 6 years ago

I remember a few sales of 1000pc, 44/47 Frosted Purple, to the statement....."Im changing all the GI in all my games to Purple!"

This was 4 years ago.....I still cant imagine this!

#1873 6 years ago

#1938 6 years ago

OK, another thought.

If you are visiting this thread, and you believe lots of colored GI looks good, do you think it looks better with Pinstadium lights on top?
    Kinda washes out the color?

#1940 6 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Lol. Pinstadium washes out the color bombing that washes out the art. Love coming into this thread and seeing pics. Moar lights!

True, but Ill bet there are a bunch that think this looks Great!
    Of course, they have an overhead RGB Laser Disco Ball to hit the Mirror blades.

#1953 6 years ago

OK guys....you know the drill....take a break, or take it to PM. Please?

#1955 6 years ago

No worries...just hate to see two good people not get along...

#2018 6 years ago

#2042 6 years ago

NEW!! LED POP Bumper Cover Rainbow Lights!

#2046 6 years ago

I come here for the pain!

Reminds me of this:

#2068 6 years ago

With no disrespect meant to anyone, its gone to the top!

1 week later
    #2195 6 years ago

Perhaps at the Pinball Olympics, they will add a few games with the most awful colored GI in the dark, and see how the pros play.
    Not too long though, without a vision rider on your insurance......

#2197 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It wouldn't affect me at all as I play with my eyes shut.

I have no doubt, you have mastered this!

#2236 6 years ago

Get Ready.....!!!.....Winter Olympics have RGB!

1 week later
    #2351 6 years ago

I have to go get my eyes checked, after 2 pages of pics!
    Pain in my eyes!

#2360 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

People purposely purple practically any pin. Pathetically preposterous practice.

Patience....Peoples Personal perspective perhaps will play out periodically.
    "Post Pics" Pokes people to Perform.
    popcorn.

4 months later
    #3021 5 years ago

I had to stay away from this thread for a few months....the images were burning my retinas, and haunting my dreams!

I cleaned out 2 games that had old kits in them, with colored GI, and a head shaking choice of bulbs...I cringed, with each
    bulb I pulled.

But a little empathy guys....the last year I did this, was a daily battle of, "....but why cant I put purple or color all in my GI?"
    "Because you want to see the ball and the Art!"...Didnt matter, I stopped arguing.

I cant play any game like this....impossible, but Ill respect that some can do so.

Worse is colored GI, then white strips, arena like, around the cabinet to wash that color back down...awful mess!

3 years later
    #6648 2 years ago

9 years later, and so many postings, yet for so many, there isnt an understanding that Colored LEDs should be used at a Minimum for GI
    and backbox.

When I have used color, it is often a much lower brightness level to accent a feature on the playfield, or a spot on a backbox.

So glad I saved up a bunch of my favorite creation, Sunlight.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=oldpinguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.