(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,258 posts
  • 454 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 minutes ago by CelticKnot
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_market_175921_1 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831025059 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831007017 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_175932 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0286 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_174801_31 (resized).jpg
    432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 6 years ago

I agree that Dracula is an exception. It's the only machine I own that has non-white GI. Blue gives it the perfect night time feel and you're not drowning out any of the colors since all the plastics are blue.

1 week later
    #290 6 years ago

Judge away. I just did a full LED job on my first EM. I was planning on all warm whites, but I actually did end up liking reds behind ball count and orange behind the horse, but there was a bit of flaking so the frosted bulbs just helped to fill in the color. The pictures actually make it look a bit brighter then it is. I think it's pretty tasteful.

PS: I love Comet 10mm frosted bulbs. The sure seem perfect on most games IMHO.

20171022_200801 (resized).jpg20171022_200801 (resized).jpg

#297 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

And these days the cabinets themselves are being color bombed and messing up lighting in game rooms.
    Under cabinet LEDs (why does the floor need to be lit?)
    Behind backbox LEDs (why does the wall need to be lit)
    Speaker insert LEDs (because you want more glare on the glass)
    Light up leg things (doesn't make sense)

I'm guilty of that too, but it's not just random lighting. I have under cabinet and behind backbox LEDs that go off when the lightning crashes on Bram Stroker's Dracula and during the volcano eruption on Congo. I like trying them into specific effects like that. I also added a goal light to my Chexx. I think part of it is it's just fun to try out new things.

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

So I just removed all the color gi on contact and thought I'd try out incandescents and comet 2 smd frosted whites. Lights on and lights off

Looks good IMHO. It shows off the artwork without trying to turn it into something else. I'm sure there is less glare then the camera picks up.

#305 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Wow, that fish tales looks amazing. Makes me want to own one again. Compare the backglass, which has been highly accentuated with just the right LED scheme to look brilliantand vibrant with highly contrasting colors, to the one posted before it with incandescents where all the colors contain the same orange/ yellow wash to which really diminishes a lot of the color contrast and especially adversely affects the blues. It's also a more accurate representation of the art as this is what it was meant to look like in print, and the heavy warming from incandescent bulbs is more of an unfortunate and unintended consequence. For a higher stimulation of the senses the LED's offer are much more scintillating experience. But, thats just how I see it.

As with most they just took it too far. Do you really think the artist meant for the wave caps to be purple? I thought cool whites were the best behind the blue waves. Cool white works behind blues and greens yet it doesn't wash out the contrast. I think that is my issue with colored bulbs. While they provide a more intense color, they wash out the details. They can be used, but they have to be used very thoughtfully.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

I don't totally hate the blue. I actually prefer blue pop bumpers on the game, but that's in the underwater area of the shark. Again, they just took a good idea too far IMHO. They lost all of the yellow, orange, red, and green that's also a major part of the playfield. I don't mind the color matching of the fish inserts. That's an example where it looks good either way. Having said that, I'm fine with whatever people want to do with their machines. I just need to find another Fish Tales.

#306 6 years ago

I think this collage might help to show the different versions of using color in a backglass.

1) Color Wash
    2) Nothing
    3) Few Color LEDs

Capture2 (resized).JPGCapture2 (resized).JPG

PS: I don't mind the color wash here as much as on a game where they have a section of green, a section of red, a section of purple, etc. Here you could at least make a case that it's going for a new art style. It reminds me of the game like Mad World, where there is a conscious choice to only work with a few colors.

#309 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

#3 is by far the best...

Yeah, that's a case where I think you actual gain detail by adding colored LEDs. It's not like you're just coloring the sky blue randomly either. If anything it helps it to match with the rest of the machine.

#314 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I use Incandescent mixed with LEDs many times too.

I did that a lot. For the longest time I couldn't find a warm white I was happy with. Now more often then not it's the 10mm from Comet, but it's still an option.

#318 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is one of the rare cases you can get away with a color bulb in art. Mostly because the art is one color, and it's on black. I'm referring to the clouds in the background. Looks like the bulbs were kept far enough away from the surrounding art, so they did not bleed into the other artwork. Which is critical. and 99.7% of the time, you cannot get away with it. This is the .3% time you can get away with a little.
    BTW, i'm talking about example 3. Example 1 is horrible and the person that did it should be flogged. Example 2 looks great, and example 3 looks good as well.

I could be wrong, but I think there is a hint of blue in the clouds even without the LEDs. It's just very tough to see with the warmness of the incandescent. I do agree it's key to just trying different things. It reminds me of getting fitted for glasses; "Do you like 1 or 2?" Jurassic Park was a machine I did where I thought for sure it was going to be one way, but it ended up being different. I ended up using 7 different whites. Here is how that turned out:

ae46ed2a05ed648f5fe7aa4a30ca2186059e7d9c (resized).jpgae46ed2a05ed648f5fe7aa4a30ca2186059e7d9c (resized).jpg
    7a65f6048e3e0fc9a2f13f9e6ea5e559e08ebfcc (resized).jpg7a65f6048e3e0fc9a2f13f9e6ea5e559e08ebfcc (resized).jpg

PS: The bulbs at the bottom are incandescent blinkers. I feel like they add a sense of action/motion.

#323 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

It's not ironic, the thread was about Clown Puke LEDs, which is the extreme end of the scale. It's not anti-LED, it's anti Clown Puke.
    The above are *good* uses of LEDs. I'm anti-clown puke but I have LEDs in the backboxes of my games.

Yeah, it seems far more useful to discuss the reasoning behind your preference. I'd actually be curious to here the intent behind some of the "clown puke" machines.

#377 6 years ago

Never thought I'd say this, but I don't hate the Amber on TWD. I'd kind of like to see one done completely in Amber. I think it gives it a bit of a "torch-lit" effect. Plus there isn't a huge amount of detail in the plastics or playfield. That's one where I'd consider doing some playing. I think it would likely end up with Warm White or Sunlight, but the Amber might be worth playing around with. Certainly is better then one's I've seen that are pure Red.

#396 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Never thought I'd say this, but I don't hate the Amber on TWD. I'd kind of like to see one done completely in Amber. I think it gives it a bit of a "torch-lit" effect. Plus there isn't a huge amount of detail in the plastics or playfield. That's one where I'd consider doing some playing. I think it would likely end up with Warm White or Sunlight, but the Amber might be worth playing around with. Certainly is better then one's I've seen that are pure Red.

Quoted from Dee-Bow:

So it's only ok if YOU like it!? Hahaha..sure

Not sure if your serious or not, but...yes. I think people should make their machines look the way they look good to them. Likewise in a thread like this you should state your own opinion. Obviously there are going to be people who disagree and that's fine. Either join the discussion or ignore them. I do think it makes for a more interesting discussion if you can explain the reason behind your choices. Thus, I explained my justification as to why I didn't mind the Amber. I'm not stating it as a fact it's just my opinion.

#397 6 years ago

Just came across this one on Facebook.

2 weeks later
    #623 6 years ago

My attempt at "improving" the Mona Lisa.

LED LISA (resized).jpgLED LISA (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=lpeters82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.