(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,209 posts
  • 452 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 106 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 248 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 58 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 150 votes
      33%

(456 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_market_157961_0 (resized).jpg
    rainbow-centaur-mens-t-shirt (resized).jpg
    FdmlqFrR_400x400 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_084956_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_085002_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_0257.gif
    Screenshot_20240314_124458_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240312-190113 (resized).png
    Pinside_forum_8057803_0 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7360 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7324 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7307 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    id-44 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6757 (resized).jpeg
    img_0604.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#419 6 years ago

"Say yes to drugs" lol.

2 weeks later
    #673 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I’m gonna get hammered for saying this but here goes:
    1) Due to cameras limited exposure range photos always overblow the magnitude of these effects. It’s often not that bad in real life with your own eye.
    2) With standard incandescent bulbs my older Bally/Williams look old/tired next to Stern machines.
    3) I take a measured approach to this: a) only warm whites in EMs b) mostly warm whites in pre DMD solid states with maybe a color accent in the back c) solid single color approach on some machines where warranted if I think it looks good- black hole for instance d) Comet white spots in older DMD which is what I think gives the Sterns a lot of their pop anyway.
    4) I really see nothing wrong with color accents, but yes the paint by numbers color matching for each plastic and each insert shows a certain lack of aesthetic

Agree 100%. I love led lighting. It really does bring the older dmd games to life. Nice thing about leds is they are easy to replace so it's fun to exeriment and harmless to game. Even with white bulbs you have different choices of warm, cool, and sunlight. It's their game so who cares what bulbs they use. If you buy a game with funky leds, change the bulbs to what you like. You might as well make fun of people buying games you don't like because it's the same thing to me. But yeah I get it, their are correct opinions and wrong opinions.

#771 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

On this subject, try to imagine 3 years of email battles, where I was asked, "Whats Best", I give my opinion which if disagrees,
    turns into an email battle. So, I explained in all in Pics, and diagrams, and sent links....Those that like all this color, whether
    they read or not still disagreed.
    I had to give up sharing my opinion, as Id need to do it 3-4 times a day, with different people, resulting in 6-12 emails a day per person.
    Literally 2 hours a day, every day, going over this!!
    Exhausting, insulting and brutal on a person.
    If you like all this color...good for you.
    If you dont, this thread helps share why.
    Dark in the back? Try Op max, or a Strip. $10-$15
    Want to frame your game in white light that works off of GI, $10.
    Adding more color doesnt help.

I can only imagine. You were a big help getting me started with putting leds in my first game several years ago. It was overwhelming getting started with all the bulb choices, lenses, colors, etc. I also learned a lot from experimenting. No harm trying things just to see if it looks good. You can always swap bulbs if it looks bad.

#823 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I kind of liked the green around the castle as an accent, but definitely agree that removing the purple at the bottom and the reds up top were a great choice. Looks way better.

Agreed. I would of gone with something in between of all white and clown puke. That's the cool thing about lighting, you can make it what you like in just a few minutes. I do struggle to understand why people buy these kits. You pay more for them than just buying the bulbs and end up with someone else's tastes in what they like.

#846 6 years ago

I don't get toppers either. Not sure what started people having to put something on top of every one of their pins. It just makes the games look cluttered imo. The backglass is suppose to be the center of attention on a pin, not some gigantic neon peacock sitting way up on top of the backbox.

Shakers are okay. They don't cost too much and plug right in on Stern games. I don't think every game needs one but it does add something to gameplay.

#1211 6 years ago

Yeah. Color bombed or not, sexy games being posted here. One of the big reasons I like pins is that they look awesome with the art, light, and display. Green MET is very green. No idea why you would do that. Because snake is green?

2 weeks later
    #1776 6 years ago

I think the reason some people buy kits is so that they don't have to count bulbs or figure out what bulbs to get. Just get a kit, install with instructions, and be done in the shortest amount of time. They probably don't care too much if a bulb is warm white, cold white, or whatever color as long as it brightens up the game looking decent. I like to customize and spend a lot of time getting it right. I enjoy doing it and hard to know what looks good without trying a few things.

1 week later
    #1939 6 years ago

Lol. Pinstadium washes out the color bombing that washes out the art. Love coming into this thread and seeing pics. Moar lights!

#1975 6 years ago

Cue Ball wiz looking awesome. Absolutely nailed it. Looks like electric cowboys playing pool in a disco with hot chicks.

3 weeks later
    #2329 6 years ago

Kind of dig it for TWD. Interesting vibe. At least it's not all purple.

5 months later
    #3059 5 years ago
    Quoted from Schamattack:

An actual rainbow!

Freaky. I have those three games in the exact same position - BSD, Congo, and TS.

2 months later
    #3297 5 years ago

Maybe I should go in the business of making purple LEDs. Retire young.

1 year later
    #4267 4 years ago

People do that anti-symmetric thing with Tron, too. Hate it. If you are going to clown puke, make it consistent. Things just look so off balanced with different lighting on both sides of a game. Surprised no one has rigged pinstadiums to light different colors on both sides yet lol.

6 months later
    #4993 3 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Is any one else tempted to take all the bulbs that they have pulled out of games over the years and just color-bomb the shit out of a game and post it here? Just me?

I want to put a fast color changing bulb in every insert and gi socket. How glorious would that be?

1 year later
    #6865 2 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

I generally use frosted warm whites for GI , I do use color bulbs under inserts, sometimes they don't look right and I replace with warm whites!
    oddly enough pink under orange inserts make the orange really look orange !
    I never use color for GI ... washes everything out !

Same here for the most part. Leds have a lot of benefits like less heat and ocd boards fix all the performance issues. Inserts have colors so not exactly crazy to enhance those colors a bit. I agree with color gi that is on 100% time. Nobody puts purple light bulbs in all your house lamps. It is fun to see how awful you can get, though. Still waiting for someone to put fast color changers in all sockets.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.