(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,209 posts
  • 452 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 106 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 248 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 58 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 150 votes
      33%

(456 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_market_157961_0 (resized).jpg
    rainbow-centaur-mens-t-shirt (resized).jpg
    FdmlqFrR_400x400 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_084956_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_085002_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_0257.gif
    Screenshot_20240314_124458_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240312-190113 (resized).png
    Pinside_forum_8057803_0 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7360 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7324 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7307 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    id-44 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6757 (resized).jpeg
    img_0604.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Who Dey, you really are a trolling piece of shit. Biggest troll on pinside. You have nearly 1200 downvotes, whats the all time record?

Did you post in the wrong thread?

#101 6 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

No, that troll follows him around down voting his posts regardless of the content.
    Pretty immature.

Ah, I've seen that as well. I eventually changed to the setting to only show up votes. It's so weird you post something generic and get random downvotes.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

We are adults here. Why do so many people care about down votes?

Down votes in general don't bother me at all. I'm sure I deserve my fair share of them. Its the weird stalker ones that kind of give me the creeps. When you get one for the most mundane things and see that same icon. That is why I turned it off.

#232 6 years ago

Where did this thread go? On something to think about my Pinbot has a pretty rough playfield, I intentionally did they blue/red GI to hide it. It worked really well, I do flip flop though and right now I have cool white GI. Just depends on what I feel like looking at.

#237 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Yes, there is nothing like adding piercing light to the point you can't see the playfield anymore.
    It's not like you're going to "play" it or anything.

Why does it have to be all or nothing, a little red and blue GI hardly makes it unplayable. It plays exactly the same and the ball is completely visible with either blue/red or with white. Some of the examples here are way too much and they are laughable but a little color here and there is not a big deal. People are way overreacting.

#241 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the problem is, that when you do parts here or there. There is art in that surrounding area that you are desecrating. It's not like the LED does a spot light to only a specific area so it doesn't bleed into surrounding art. The surrounding art is the reason the colored LED's look like shit. Colored LED's should be used for inserts of the same color with ONLY black text on them. That's it. That's all you can get away with, without it destroying some artistic aspect of your game. For games with full blown printed inserts, like Diner or IJ. You have to go back to white again for the inserts as well. You can get away with using red for the inserts that have only black and red, but most of them are orange, yellow and red with hints of brown. With those. Warm White is your only viable option.

So if I put a red LEDs in my pops and it turns the wear by the pops so it looks the same as the undamaged red paint I have desecrated the art?

#319 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is one of the rare cases you can get away with a color bulb in art. Mostly because the art is one color, and it's on black. I'm referring to the clouds in the background. Looks like the bulbs were kept far enough away from the surrounding art, so they did not bleed into the other artwork. Which is critical. and 99.7% of the time, you cannot get away with it. This is the .3% time you can get away with a little.
    BTW, i'm talking about example 3. Example 1 is horrible and the person that did it should be flogged. Example 2 looks great, and example 3 looks good as well.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to use some type of shield or block on an LED for this exact reason. Electrical Tape is rated well beyond the mild warmth on an LED. A little of it on an LED and you can easily direct the light the direction you want. Is it really that difficult to stop light? This completely reverses your 99.7% to go the other way.

As to the JP above me, I have one too and LEDs just don't work in it. That translite is so damn thin you get hot spots with incandescents. I tried so many different things, In the end I think I ended up with one white LED directly in the sun and maybe a couple frosted reds in the top left. Everything else blasted through the translite. What I did do is change the ones on top to red and orange and you can light up the marquee to match the sunset, it looks awesome.

2 weeks later
    #527 6 years ago

This should be good for a laugh, your not actually going try and convince us the science of art. All that is going to be proven is you have no understanding of either.

#534 6 years ago

Here I thought we were talking pinball not lighting for theater and film. Even in those mediums if you want to day glow up the stage it's still art. If people want to color up their machines to look as what the perceive as better. It's art there is no science. When Vanilla Ice sampled Queen it made me want to puke, it's still art. You guys really need to get off your high horse. You can laugh you can say it's hideous but trying to say they are scientifically wrong because of what they see as beauty is fucking laughable. It sure as shit is not science it's stupidity.

P.S. I love the use of theory and fact in the same sentence.

#543 6 years ago

I'm not one for color in the GI. I don't mind a little but in general I'm a cool or warm white guy. What I find so amusing is you guys saying someone is scientifically wrong because they like it. Sure there is a science to lighting a stage or film. If you want your machine purple there is nothing wrong with that and there is no science or facts that state it's wrong. I also find it amusing that you guys pretend there was ever science to how playfields were lit as far as art. It was all about cost and convenience. There are dark areas and overlit areas in every pin. They put lights where the ball wouldn't hit them. If you want to talk about lighting a playfield for the art Pin Stadium is probably the way to go. The original incandescents did not light them worth shit.

#547 6 years ago

I'm talking about the "science" of lighting. If you followed the theory of lighting the first thing you would do is pull most of the GI and use some overhead lighting. You would never light something by putting lights on the thing you are trying to light pointing in line of sight. That is how playfields are lit as far as "lighting" it is completely wrong.

#611 6 years ago

The kits do suck. I don't know why but for the life of me I can not count LEDs in advance. I always end up a couple short and have to make a second order. Also no one should sell an LED that ghosts. If they made a decent kit it would be very convenient.

#675 6 years ago

What do you guys think of lighting the trough, or mixing warm and cold? I did it in both these machines. I felt they were both a little dark. On JP I did warm under the orange and cool under blue. On Phantom I did warm on the lower part of the playfield because it's an indoor candle lit scene. I used a couple cool up top near the gargoyles to make it feel moon lit and haunted up there. Both games are very flashy and I really find lighting the trough on a constant circuit helps. It's not rainbow but my games have lots of additional lighting.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#688 6 years ago

Wow that one is pretty bad they must went out of their way to mod that back box and not only is the color bad the location of the lights is even worse.

#714 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Do you play in the dark or with overhead lights on? I think this makes a difference.......

Playing in a bright room seems like a bigger pinball sin to me. Pinball always equates to a dark arcade or pub. If I'm by myself I play with the lights out, if people are over then with lights dimmed. Maybe that's why so many people find invisaglass worth the money and I find it basically pointless.

#719 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I've never seen a totally dark arcade... or pub for that matter.

Really, arcades were always dimly lit and pins were always in the dark corner of a pub. They are not pitch black but they are not exactly bright. Back in the day I always thought they kept them dark on purpose to keep the play time down.

1 week later
    #883 6 years ago

The issue myself an other have is the everyone throwing everyone together in the your a clown puker club. The people ranting its scientific fact, and you are wrong if you put a color LED in GI. If you use color you have a low IQ. People climbing on their platform trying to wave thier dick around that they are an expert. I red, blued up a pinbot because the playfield was pretty shit and it helped hide some flaws. You can use color LEDs if you like it and its ok. You guys can have you laughs but its not humor when you just talking shit about people and trying to be superior.

#888 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Post up pictures of your games and let people decide if they like it or not..

Have you actually read this thread as my games are in it. There are plenty of people in the thread raving about scientific fact.

#936 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

So your admit you rainbow puked the game to hide it's flaws. How exactly did that happen, easy, the colored lighting made the game harder to see. It didn't make the game look better, it made it harder to see.

No that is not what happened at all. In the standard areas that wear in a pinbot, mainly the pops and the lane to the socket. The paint was starting to wear and speckles of wood show through. By placing a red LED near that spot it lit the wood red to match the paint. I also used some blue to light some wear to match the blue paint. The game was very well lit and visible. I lit the ramp and the trough with white, I also put spotlights on it. I like to play in the dark. Red/Blue is a common theme on Pinbot and I wanted to try it out. I also had cool white LEDs for all the GI and alternated between them to mix things up. When I sold the pin I put the white in and the buyer was super stoked get the red/blue with it. It's not that big a deal and using a colored LED here and there does not clown puke up a game. I basically used a couple of colored LEDs to touch up the playfield.

#974 6 years ago

I can't tell the hyperbole from the sarcasm from the stupidity.

#1002 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

My BSD has a little touch of blue...and the beloved speaker lights everyone is raving...I mean ranting about. LOL. Rip away fellas!!!

I normally don't go for powder coat but it looks great on BSD never seen one like that, gorgeous machine.

#1074 6 years ago

Come on irobot it's just getting silly now. You talked some shit and you got called out on it. Don't start the whole victim thing. You dished it out and you got a little back. You don't need to complain and whine about the complaining and whining. Just stick to the talking shit about the lighting and drop the other crap.

#1192 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

So if, for example, there is a thread where a picture of a disaster of a TFTC was posted. Can we repost it here? It is not from their profile, they put the picture out there for comment. I think it is nicer commenting over here rather then giving an honest opinion over there. Over there everyone if clapping their hands in a mindless group think and not pointing out the obvious loss of artwork.
    I know we are supposed to "be nice" but sometimes being nice means being honest and letting them know when they have made something ugly. Over there I would be a broken record saying "but that is not how the game looks, I can't see the artwork anymore and the game looks harder to play". Over here we just have a bit more fun with it because people joined to defend the disasters.
    I'd post pictures of my games. But they look kind of "normal". Here, TZ with Cool White.

Do you consider this TZ to look bad or be colour bombed? The human eye does a much better job than a camera. I’m starting to think some of you guys have serious eye problems. Walking around with no colour balance or completely dialated pupils. When you drive at night is all you see blown out over saturated headlights.

#1214 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

No I don't consider the TZ bad. It is mine. That was about 2 years ago when I was putting in cool white frosted like Art told me to do.
    Robin said it was alright to make fun of our own games and not other members. But mine look "normal".

I though you meant it was blown out with cool white. I think it looks great.

2 weeks later
    #1760 6 years ago

I think kits should be handled the same way Titans does it for rubbers. Let people create their own and post them. Its super handy even if you create your own just to get the count right. I have never understood the point of an off the shelf LED kit.

#1806 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

They need to get into this thread and be told (via repetitive 500 word posts) that what they are looking at and the fun they are having is simply incorrect!

It's also important to have at least one of those posts on all 37 pages.

I can't believe the post above got a thread eject and irobot dropped another long winded post on the same page, LOL
    I'm sure this will get me an eject but it just too funny.

#1901 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

WOW
    You guys are finding some superb examples of clown puke. This thread is like the puke olympics.

Really, you just posted the same pic on the same page as someone else and you wonder why people are saying your redundant.

#1903 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

He was commenting on that pic that was posted.
    Dudes, you all need to chill out. If you don't like the thread, bail. Pretty easy.

It's got nothing to do with the topic at hand. Most people have a little etiquette and not constantly spam and bump threads. Lots of people use mobile and appreciate the quote and not having to load the same thing repeatedly.

#1906 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You are a troll in this thread; You add nothing. Why are you checking on this thread, to troll it of course. Everytime you post something it's a bump for nothingness, why the fuck would anyone make it easier for you?
    Take a look at all this etiquette.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=darscot

What the fuck buddy, chill.

#1908 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm not your buddy, guy.

Ha ha, come on lets hug it out. You not getting internet tough guy on me are you?

3 years later
    #5916 3 years ago

I actually kinda don't mind that LOTR. That playfield is so damn ugly to begin with, can you really make it worse? Now it looks like current Sterns. LOL

#5922 3 years ago
    Quoted from killerrobots:

I am not a big fan of color GIs but has anyone else noticed that they look way worse in pictures than they do in reality? I just brought home a new TZ that had quite a few mods and I didn't even notice the color until after I looked at the picture.[quoted image]

Yeah, I'm not a fan of going crazy but if your selective and subtle they can look great in person. Pictures really exaggerate the effect, that Twilight Zone looks like a beauty

#5955 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's still not ok. Kids or not. If the kids wanted to help, they can put a white LED in that socket just as easy as a color. I'm not buying it.

It's completely ok. He can do what ever he likes to his machine. If he wants to clown puke it up all the power to him. What exactly are you not buying? Are you going to start an investigation? Are you going to pull his CaptainNeo approval card? Are the LED Police on the case. Will his children be punished?

The horror, a bunch of meaningless people up in arms on Pinside, what could happen.

#5971 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well it's true people can puke if they want. If it gets out of hand, then we start seeing these games in leagues, tournaments, and for sale. At those times, it's not personal puking anymore. Now they are forcing the night vision on others to try and deal with. If puking goes unchecked. Newbs think it's ok and they start doing it, thinking "this is the way". Then it spreads like wildfire. They go around thinking their game looks modern and hip, even if they can't play it worth a crap.[quoted image]

Maybe you need to talk to the people organizing your tournaments and leagues. Who gives a shit how good other people are on their own machines. If you guys want to be all hard core in your tournament all the power to you. Every event I have ever been to there is some lunatic raging, throwing a tantrum and beating the shit out of a machine in the tournament room. I have never once thought that seems like fun, quite the opposite actually. If I take my pins to an event I'm going to load up the Color GI just to keep the psychos away.

#5979 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Well, since you use blues and red to hide imperfect Pfs, maybe no one will want to play your games at an event anyway.

I do, this is news to me? I did Red/Blue a Pinbot a few years back but I didn't like it and quickly went back to cool white. I think I have one color LED in the GI in my pins. I'm not a fan, I just don't think its ok to shit on everyone that likes it.

I found that post from three years ago and in that same post I said I went back to white. You are correct though I did do it once and you get a thumbs up just for the effort of digging back three years.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why bring it if nobody can play it anyway? Just leave it at home. If it's puked in color, the event isn't going to miss out on anything anyway.
    Basically, you just said. " I remove the flippers from my games I take to shows, to keep the psychos from playing my machines". <----it's exactly the same thing.

I have no issue with newbs and casuals enjoying my machines. It's the hard core guys that are raging in the tournaments that I would like to keep away. If color LED work as repellent it sounds like a plan.

#5991 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

moonlight bowling. Again. They have moonlight bowling, and use colored light, because it's hard to see in it. I don't understand why people don't realize , colored light is done to make it so you can't see very well. Why would you purposely do that to your machine?

Now we are going conspiracy theory against bowling. What possible reason would they have to make bowling harder? They use colored lights because it's fun and people like it. It's not some crazy conspiracy to lower bowling scores. Is all that disco and dance music they love to play with that bowling some kind of mind control to lower scores? I guess if you're talking those old bowling coin op machines they may want to try and make it harder to reduce the ticket pay out but they control the rate of pay out. Its not like your trying to catch the bowling ball or don't know where the pins are, it makes no difference if you lose sight of the ball after you let it go. I get the old night vision starts to go but dude, come on.

1 month later
    #6251 2 years ago

I had to check how much they cost. At least it's $40 for a set of 4, if Stern dropped that exact product as a pinball add on it would be $250 undercabinet lighting or $500 for two as a topper. LOL

#6258 2 years ago

This new topper does not seem helpful to the projector or glare on the glass. Does it count as a rainbow?

c0c441f65031996275c1c8f240a49ad7095b629f (resized).jpegc0c441f65031996275c1c8f240a49ad7095b629f (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #6414 2 years ago
    Quoted from GTO:

In America we say Touch.
    (and yes, before anyone says anything, I know it doesn't mean "touch")

It does exactly mean touch. It is from fencing from back in the day and you had to say touch when he touched you. So it is acknowledgment of defeat.

1 week later
    #6501 2 years ago
    Quoted from Paseb:

Better now asshole

Pretty sweet machines if you ask me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.