(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,254 posts
  • 454 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Jason43
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_175932 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0286 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_174801_31 (resized).jpg
    432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240325_221629653 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8096331_0 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 8,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 166.
    #4601 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Well, on a place like pinside where its about having fun, being creative with your ideas... this thread goes against all of that.
    I mean, I dont think anyone would like to find that one of their machines is being made fun of by a group of people on the same site.

If you don't see something funny with that purple CV on the last page there is a problem. You're not going to change anyone's mind here with 16 posts and 23 downvotes and counting.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=Rager170

#4602 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Hate to break it to you but we don't live in some fantasy land where there's no good and bad, no right and wrong, and everything is simply a matter of opinion. There's all kinds of stuff that sucks. If all this site had to offer was feel-good praise it would suck, too.
    Tell us with a straight face this car doesn't suck.
    [quoted image]

I agree, there are a million things I see a day that I think are dumb. But I have been raised to keep those comments to myself.

I mean, should we start a thread about mods that look crappy, or a millions of other things we dont like? No, certainly not.

#4603 3 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

If you don't see something funny with that purple CV on the last page there is a problem. You're not going to change anyone's mind here with 16 posts and 23 downvotes and counting.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=Rager170

Thats sad that people on this thread are so oblivious then.

#4604 3 years ago

Resistance if futile. You will be assimilated.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
    #4605 3 years ago

This most recent back and forth reminds me of one of my favorite quotes (the lightbulbs in the poster are white for a reason).

cluelessnessdemotivator (resized).jpgcluelessnessdemotivator (resized).jpg
    #4606 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

This most recent back and forth reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.[quoted image]

Agreed lol

#4607 3 years ago

Tell us with a straight face this car doesn't suck.

What the shit, is that a real life transformer?

#4608 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

My friend pointed it out to me I dont come to this thread willingly. While I will agree the purple GI is not what I would have put in it, if there are people who like it and its their game then good for them. I prefer various shades of white GI in most games with some touches of color in the right places. I also however like Pinstadium which I will guess is frowned upon as well.
    At any rate I dont see the point of a thread where you insult other peoples games, easy enough to change them.

if we were never forced to play games like this, it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is, that when this color fad gets out of control. These games show up in leagues and tournaments. And it's very difficult if not impossible to play a game with color GI's. The visible spectrum is more difficult to visualize the farther you get to the edges. So purples and reds are the most difficult to be able to see in that kind of lighting.

Not only that, but those of us that like to be able to see when playing our games, have to convert these back to normal when buying. People that do this have a misguided sense that LED's alone, increase the value of a machine. When in actuality, it hurts their sale, if someone knows they have to spend 4hrs or more swapping out all the LEDs.

#4609 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if we were never forced to play games like this, it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is, that when this color fad gets out of control. These games show up in leagues and tournaments. And it's very difficult if not impossible to play a game with color GI's. The visible spectrum is more difficult to visualize the farther you get to the edges. So purples and reds are the most difficult to be able to see in that kind of lighting.

This is always the biggest load of BS to come out of this thread lol hahahahha. Please... 99% of people dont have a problem playing games with colored GI.

#4610 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

I agree, there are a million things I see a day that I think are dumb. But I have been raised to keep those comments to myself.
    I mean, should we start a thread about mods that look crappy, or a millions of other things we dont like? No, certainly not.

actually there have been threads about how stupid some mods are. Even 12 years ago, RGP had discussions about how ridiculous mods were getting on TZ. If you do something crazy, like mount a candy bar somewhere in a game, like say BSD. And then show it to the public all proud. You are fishing for opinions. You should not get only positive responses. If you do something that sucks, you should be told so as well. Afterall you came to the public for opinions. Mods are opinionated. LED lighting is a science. There is a right and wrong way to do it.

#4611 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

actually there have been threads about how stupid some mods are. Even 12 years ago, RGP had discussions about how ridiculous mods were getting on TZ. If you do something crazy, like mount a candy bar somewhere in a game, like say BSD. And then show it to the public all proud. You are fishing for opinions. You should not get only positive responses. If you do something that sucks, you should be told so as well. Afterall you came to the public for opinions. Mods are opinionated. LED lighting is a science. There is a right and wrong way to do it.

Well that is where I disagree. No need to give your opinion on things that you dont like. If that were the case, nobody would ever stop complaining.

And no, there isnt a right and wrong way to do it. Its purely opinionated.

#4612 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

This is always the biggest load of BS to come out of this thread lol hahahahha. Please... 99% of people dont have a problem playing games with colored GI.

bullfucking shit they don't. It is proven that the human eye can not track or follow things well in monochromatic lighting. Unless your gameroom is lit up like walmart, you can't see shit. Most of us have gamerooms like the 80's. Where you drop a quarter on the ground and you can't see it. monochromatic GI's will make games TOTALLY unplayable in those conditions.

#4613 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

bullfucking shit they don't. It is proven that the human eye can not track or follow things well in monochromatic lighting. Unless your gameroom is lit up like walmart, you can't see shit. Most of us have gamerooms like the 80's. Where you drop a quarter on the ground and you can't see it. monochromatic GI's will make games TOTALLY unplayable in those conditions.

Ummn false. Maybe if you are in a setting where every single light being emitted is of one color, but that is never, ever the case.

#4614 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Well that is where I disagree. No need to give your opinion on things that you dont like. If that were the case, nobody would ever stop complaining.
    And no, there isnt a right and wrong way to do it. Its purely opinionated.

bullshit again. The world doesn't need yes men everywhere. People will not better themselves if they only filter out the good. That is what trump wants with the media. He wants to filter out only the positive, so you never see or hear the negative. You really want that in the world? If you dont' want the chance of negative opinions, then keep it to yourself, and never show pics of it on the internet.

#4615 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Ummn false. Maybe if you are in a setting where every single light being emitted is of one color, but that is never, ever the case.

have you not looked through this thread. If you have NO white light anywhere. You are screwed from playing the game. Plain and simple.

#4616 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

have you not looked through this thread. If you have NO white light anywhere. You are screwed from playing the game. Plain and simple.

And in what setting will you have zero white light? Have never seen a game and game room where everything is one color with no white.

#4617 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

bullshit again. The world doesn't need yes men everywhere. People will not better themselves if they only filter out the good. That is what trump wants with the media. He wants to filter out only the positive, so you never see or hear the negative. You really want that in the world? If you dont' want the chance of negative opinions, then keep it to yourself, and never show pics of it on the internet.

No, the world doesnt need morons spewing their opinions without regard for others.

#4618 3 years ago

Now you are just trolling. You cant be the butthurt over a few goofy comments about a lighting trend.

#4619 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

No, the world doesnt need morons spewing their opinions without regard for others.

again, that's not a world that will ever better itself.

as far as lighting goes. I've have seen first hand....on several occasions, where games had to be yanked out of tournaments and leagues, because they were unplayable due to color GI's. at least 10 people tried to play, and visibility was so bad, because they used all blue or all red or combo of both, that the game could not be played.....FACT! Most of our gamerooms are dark as shit. As you want a dark gameroom because overhead lights cause glare. that's why Arcades in the early 80's were pitch black. With only the games giving the light for the room.

#4620 3 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Now you are just trolling. You cant be the butthurt over a few goofy comments about a lighting trend.

4,618 comments making fun of other peoples machines is far from a few goofy comments. Sorry you cant understand how something like that could be offensive.

Do you enjoy when people make fun of something you created?

#4621 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

No, because we don't try to put square wheels on cars, and then show it to the world being proud that we were doing something different.

#4622 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

again, that's not a world that will ever better itself.
    as far as lighting goes. I've have seen first hand....on several occasions, where games had to be yanked out of tournaments and leagues, because they were unplayable due to color GI's. at least 10 people tried to play, and visibility was so bad, because they used all blue or all red or combo of both, that the game could not be played.....FACT! Most of our gamerooms are dark as shit. As you want a dark gameroom because overhead lights cause glare. that's why Arcades in the early 80's were pitch black. With only the games giving the light for the room.

Lol its not a fact. Its an excuse of why you couldnt do better. So I guess you will never enjoy playing the new JJP games as their GI's are all colored?

#4623 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

No, because we don't try to put square wheels on cars, and then show it to the world being proud that we were doing something different.

Lol, well you are wrong about that. There are certainly things from people in this thread that I could poke fun of endlessly but of course wouldnt. What is the point in that?

#4624 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

4,618 comments making fun of other peoples machines is far from a few goofy comments. Sorry you cant understand how something like that could be offensive.

If you are so apposed and offended by the thread then simply click on the trash can at the bottom of the page instead of trying to antagonize people.

#4625 3 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

If you are so apposed and offended by the thread then simply click on the trash can at the bottom of the page.

Seems you missed the point of why this thread is wrong in the first place.

#4626 3 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

If you are so apposed and offended by the thread then simply click on the trash can at the bottom of the page.

One thing I like about a free country, I can choose to read, watch or listen to people spouting their slant on things. Never did understand folks that get so offended at something on TV to take time and voice so loudly they did not like it.
    Pretty sure there are more than 3 channels now.

#4627 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

One thing I like about a free country, I can choose to read, watch or listen to people spouting their slant on things. Never did understand folks that get so offended at something on TV to take time and voice so loudly they did not like it.
    Pretty sure there are more than 3 channels now.

And thats fine for TV, but when you are on a pinball forum, making fun of forum members machines and work, its a different scenario.

#4628 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

If this thread is wrong then I don't want to be right

Quoted from Rager170:

And thats fine for TV, but when you are on a pinball forum, making fun of forum members machines and work, its a different scenario.

Take it up with the mods.

#4629 3 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

If this thread is wrong then I don't want to be right

lol

#4630 3 years ago

Personally, I love rainbow puke, I come here for fresh ideas...

#4631 3 years ago
    Quoted from koji:

I come here for fresh ideas...

Buddy of mine used to do the same thing when cops would come to school and do 'bong shows' as part of DARE.
    He loved to see the creativity!
    And put the creativity into practice.

#4632 3 years ago

Yay equal rights for color bombed games!!

#4633 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Too late...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-removers-club-getting-rid-of-mods-one-machine-at-a-time

#4635 3 years ago

Lets get back on track

ea2f99913d1fabf19c9ffcae6744d7dfb1496ea0 (resized).jpgea2f99913d1fabf19c9ffcae6744d7dfb1496ea0 (resized).jpg

#4636 3 years ago

Lets get back on track

That green looks photoshopped. But still, why?

#4637 3 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

That green looks photoshopped. But still, why?

Maybe green spotlight bulbs?

#4638 3 years ago

Maybe green spotlight bulbs?

Could be. There just seems to be so many things wrong with the photo, besides the LEDs.

One things for sure. It looks like dogshit.

#4639 3 years ago

Lets get back on track

OMG.. that's one of my favourite games and it took me a few seconds to recognize what it even was.. .. great come back indeed.

#4640 3 years ago

Lets get back on track

Indeed.

killme (resized).jpgkillme (resized).jpg
    #4641 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Hey welcome to my thread, please dont let the door hit you in the ass.

#4642 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Indeed.[quoted image]

True rainbow puke.

#4643 3 years ago

I guarantee you can see and play my games just fine, also unless the tournament is played with the lights off I doubt it makes a huge difference. Like I said I didn't put all the purple in the CV. When I bought it I thought to my self I will need to change that, but I also didn't go around telling the guy his game looked like crap its a beautiful game and will be even better when I am done with it.

I will put my collection up against anyones, all of my games are in amazing condition. Work great and have only tasteful mods and LEDS. But the fact is this thread is not a "Public Service" you guys just get a kick out of insulting the admittedly sometimes poorly LEDd games. All good I am guilty of making fun of things too sometimes. That said you can all go ....... yourselves hahaha

I will also have to find out why my friend reads this thread!

#4644 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

4,618 comments making fun of other peoples machines is far from a few goofy comments.

And yet, I don't recall seeing any of the posts moderated.

#4645 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

The only one here missing the point here is you, the majority of pinballers think GI LEDs are puke, so in essence people are spending money to make their games less valuable.

#4646 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

My friend pointed it out to me I dont come to this thread willingly.

He's a good friend.

#4647 3 years ago

If the game designers thought that any other color than white was suitable for GI then wouldn’t they have put coloured condoms over the bulbs? That didn’t happen as the games were designed to have white GI so who are we to argue with the game designers? I believe there has to be a reason the original lighting wasn’t color bombed or am I missing something?

#4648 3 years ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

If the game designers thought that any other color than white was suitable for GI then wouldn’t they have put coloured condoms over the bulbs? That didn’t happen as the games were designed to have white GI so who are we to argue with the game designers? I believe there has to be a reason the original lighting wasn’t color bombed or am I missing something?

Actually, quite a few games did have coloured sleeves included with them. I wish there was a resource for identifying this exactly for placement.

For example, I know there were many yellow areas for Grand Prix (WMS), or at least I am assuming they were yellow.

Xenon originally (apparently) came with Red for near the back of the PF, and many Blue sleeves.

I think these sleeves muted the light more than anything, and I often find them with the original pinball manual envelope, presumably unused.

----------

That said, If the artist and designer had access to coloured LED tech, the games would probably resemble those of today, no doubt quite a lot brighter and colourful than incandescent white. the machine is after all, trying to get your attention. Using bright coloured lights is another way to achieve this, however not at the cost of blinding the user, or washing out all of the art etc.

#4649 3 years ago
    Quoted from koji:

Actually, quite a few games did have coloured sleeves included with them. I wish there was a resource for identifying this exactly for placement.
    For example, I know there were many yellow areas for Grand Prix (WMS), or at least I am assuming they were yellow.
    Xenon originally (apparently) came with Red for near the back of the PF, and many Blue sleeves.
    I think these sleeves muted the light more than anything, and I often find them with the original pinball manual envelope, presumably unused.
    ----------
    That said, If the artist and designer had access to coloured LED tech, the games would probably resemble those of today, no doubt quite a lot brighter and colourful than incandescent white. the machine is after all, trying to get your attention. Using bright coloured lights is another way to achieve this, however not at the cost of blinding the user, or washing out all of the art etc.

Aah, thought there would be a few instances of condoms over bulbs to give color. Not sure I’d agree that if original designers had access to the leds of today that they’d color bomb games in the GI. You can still grab attention by nice colourful insert bulbs

#4650 3 years ago

Even in the EM days they sometimes tinted GI lights with little red-tinted transparent plastic sleeves (not condoms) that fit over the #44 and socket (I think some other colors too) but the color didn't really jump out at ya. Might have been used mainly to protect lamps that could get banged around like right behind flat targets. Or on ones high up on the playfield to cut down on lights glaring in the player's eyes. They sold colored #44s too but I never encountered one in any of my games, but of course if they were factory they'd probably burned out years before and were replaced with a regular 44. They cut down the light too much even for a 44, especially blue or green so I could understand them not being employed. Personally I don't get all this neon-ish LED-ing of games but if people want to do it, live and let live. They don't devalue a game, you can always take them out. I've tried the warmest white LEDs I can find behind translights and always go back to regular lamps, the LED color is just 'off' to my eyes. I do use LEDs here and there under inserts for certain things I want fixed like blue inserts that are too damn dim, even a few white ones that needed bumping up, or inserts that have badly faded. I'm just old and grew up with incandescent lighting and it's what I prefer. If somebody made warm white LEDs that were *exactly* the same hue as a 44 I would use them a lot more. The best ones to me still look a little bluish or not enough yellow.

There are 8,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/93 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.