(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,254 posts
  • 454 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Jason43
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_175932 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0286 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_174801_31 (resized).jpg
    432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240325_221629653 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8096331_0 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 8,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 166.
    #151 6 years ago

I want to see a Swords of Fury with all flame bulbs in the GI.

#152 6 years ago

My cat just loves the new pin. Whoever did the LED job has great taste!

p (resized).jpgp (resized).jpg

#153 6 years ago

Pics of my Bally Atlantis that I used to have. I thought it looked fine at the time. Now I don't have any current games in my lineup with colored GI.

eccc91b91ea1ec13c04b55348fe85787d6cb9af8 (resized).jpgeccc91b91ea1ec13c04b55348fe85787d6cb9af8 (resized).jpg

ff6047ee1f482cfa0a5b973f8ced4f2cddbef26f (resized).jpgff6047ee1f482cfa0a5b973f8ced4f2cddbef26f (resized).jpg

#154 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Pics of my Bally Atlantis that I used to have. I thought it looked fine at the time. Now I don't have any current games in my lineup with colored GI.

I actually think that backglass would look good if the top was left as is but the bottom half was changed to white.

#155 6 years ago

i can't tell, because I can't see anything. What game is that?

#156 6 years ago

I fell pray to the colored gi when I got my first game years ago. It was a RCT and I foolishly bought a kit from cointaker. No knock on cointaker as the quality was fine but the color selection for the gi was all over the place. Overly bright and washed out plastics. I have never done that since. I don't waste money on kits, color match inserts and use frosted 1 or 2 smd in warm or natural white for the GI depending on the game. Current project is NGS and it's getting warm white for GI.

#157 6 years ago

These two beauties are on ebay now from the same blue happy seller.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

Ugh. . . who color coordinates inserts. . . The only color that needs coordinating is red, it washes out. Please put green under teals. . it looks great! Warm under warms, cool under cools . . that is it.

Actually, I have found after maybe 200 games, it depends....anything Stern, I agree for almost all.
    Take the blues in TSPP, I prefer ice blue, but warm white looks not so good.

Williams not so.
    Just an example RS or TZ, inserts that are all yellow, or orange, some of the plastics varied in thickness, color, and plastic degradation.
    RS bonus lights, I needed a different bulb under each one to match.

Lastly, to get yellow inserts richer, a 2 smd frosted, works better, especially if the insert plastic is aged, crazed, or thin.

But overall, I'll agree, I'm just anal.

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Actually, I have found after maybe 200 games, it depends....anything Stern, I agree for almost all.
    Take the blues in TSPP, I prefer ice blue, but warm white looks not so good.
    Williams not so.
    Just an example RS or TZ, inserts that are all yellow, or orange, some of the plastics varied in thickness, color, and plastic degradation.
    RS bonus lights, I needed a different bulb under each one to match.
    Lastly, to get yellow inserts richer, a 2 smd frosted, works better, especially if the insert plastic is aged, crazed, or thin.
    But overall, I'll agree, I'm just anal.

Ill give you that. My bark was more in the spirit of the rainbow puke. People putting those deep indigo blues in games to where you can't even see what the hell the insert says. Cavalierly throwing "similar colors" under inserts because they sort of match. The ice blues are a nice way to give faded blue inserts their color back. (Time machine's fifties inserts, Cyclone's multipliers, F14's chevrons). I try to keep the game true to form so when the one sees the game it looks just a little brighter and livelier than incandescents but still keeps artists true intent. Honestly the only bulb I use is the frosted 1 smd 5050 in everything and can proudly tell you that thousands of your comets are in me and my friends games. The only time I have to put a colored bulb in an insert is red, warm and cool whites just make the red inserts look worse than an incandescent. I get the anal-ness I have a rainbow of colored sharpies to get the color temperature a little more consistent on the warms and use purple markers on warm domes to get them to bring the purple back on silver sluggers inserts.

#160 6 years ago

I don't think I've ever used a blue bulb in an insert... rarely in GI.
    I know others can see the ball in a colored GI,
    They hurt my tired old eyes.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude in my reply,
    I appreciate the support for Comet, as well.

#161 6 years ago

More off Facebook. Has Pinduino interactive kit and green slingshot leds. At this point why not just tint the whole playfield glass green.
    SMH

FB_IMG_1510029988779 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1510029988779 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1510029984832 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1510029984832 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1510029992124 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1510029992124 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1510029998975 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1510029998975 (resized).jpg

#162 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I don't think I've ever used a blue bulb in an insert... rarely in GI.
    I know others can see the ball in a colored GI,
    They hurt my tired old eyes.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude in my reply,
    I appreciate the support for Comet, as well.

You weren't rude in the slightest. It didnt come across that way either. Hell if i had your stock of bulbs im sure I would have a blast trying all of them out. Your ice blue is one of best led colors. I actually had to put them in the clear inserts of my LW3. They look that good!

#163 6 years ago

oh here is a good Facebook thread going on. These guys really think this shit looks good. Are these people just using CRT monitors that are severely bleached out or what is going on? How can anyone truly look at that, and think it looks good? Here's the FB post if you want to have some laughs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/299213816922644/permalink/849874061856614/?sale_post_id=849874061856614&comment_id=850205121823508&reply_comment_id=850438858466801&notif_id=1510031834448895&notif_t=group_comment_mention

#164 6 years ago

You guys would hate my games, but at least it's reversible. I always find the LED playfield lighting is exaggerated in pictures and is less intense in person. The pictures always seem to be misleadingly colourful. But, I definitely am guilty of coloring the GI. I left Hotdoggin alone though.

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

oh here is a good Facebook thread going on. These guys really think this shit looks good. Are these people just using CRT monitors that are severely bleached out or what is going on? How can anyone truly look at that, and think it looks good? Here's the FB post if you want to have some laughs.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/299213816922644/permalink/849874061856614/?sale_post_id=849874061856614&comment_id=850205121823508&reply_comment_id=850438858466801&notif_id=1510031834448895&notif_t=group_comment_mention

Sorry man, but this is really pathetic

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I am going to side with the others in that facebook thread. You are trolling for what purpose? I am pretty sure you don't need to lead your anti-LED agenda on someone else's sale post. No one cares that you think the prices should be cut in half because you are too lazy to change the bulbs. If you aren't interested in buying the game; then move on like a adult. Likening works of priceless art with pinball machines? Come on.

#167 6 years ago

And when those go crazy with pink!

#168 6 years ago

I think you'll find a correlation in LED fans with age. I am finding the younger folks tend to be wowed by outlandish overly bright LEDs. My buddy drops his jaw and foams at the mouth when he sees these explosive color schemes with blazing Pinstadium lights and LED toppers at shows. My son has LED candles and LEDs in his laptop case, and just because he saw LED strips on the walls at our local gaming store, LED strips on his bedroom walls. LED XBox controllers, LEDs in the headsets. LEDs everywhere. There's definitely a market for over-the-top LED schemes, but it's not for everyone. I myself have turned more minimalist with LED lighting on pins. But that doesn't give me the right to blast people that do. I also don't like pastel paints for room colors or big fancy chrome rims on cars, but all of these things are not permanent and easily tailored to the individual.

#169 6 years ago

While the cameras do distort the color spread
    of the LEDs, everyone sees them different.
    A doctor in my family, has been color blind at birth. He has studied this.
    When he saw a game with colored LEDs in GI,
    he sees the intensity, and brightness.
    He says it really hurts his eyes.
    (But not white hue GI)
    He ventures to say, we might be hurting ours and not know, with prolonged exposure, from yet unknown research.
    Over bright flashing LEDs being the worst.

Kinda like loud music in our cars, headphones, showing up in hearing problems.

I hope we don't get " Pinball Eyes" later in life.

Goofy_cross-eyed (resized).jpgGoofy_cross-eyed (resized).jpg

#170 6 years ago

Facebook never lets me down.

Screenshot_20171107-071141 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171107-071141 (resized).png

#171 6 years ago

Found this one a little while ago. I think it's a Dr who. Wasn't sure at first but the dmd gave it away.

IMG_1351 (resized).JPGIMG_1351 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1352 (resized).JPGIMG_1352 (resized).JPG

#172 6 years ago

The worst are those terrible color dmd mods. Crazy that these people think those color graphics actually look good. Its a real attack on the designers who obviously intended the displays to be orange. I converted my Star Trek LE to incandescents. Some technological advances are a real step backwards.

#173 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

The worst is are those terrible color dmd

Thats one of the best mods in pinball...

Do you have a pic of a STLE with incandescents, I'm trying to imagine it but in my head it looks awful.

How is changing the DMD to color an insult to the designer but taking out color GI and putting in incandescents is not insulting?

Wait.....I get it now...

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

The worst is are those terrible color dmd mods. Crazy that these people think those color graphics actually look good. Its a real attack on the designers who obviously intended the displays to be orange. I converted my Star Trek LE to incandescents. Some technological advances are a real step backwards.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thats one of the best mods in pinball...
    Do you have a pic of a STLE with incandescents, I'm trying to imagine it but in my head it looks awful.
    How is changing the DMD to color an insult to the designer but taking out color GI and putting in incandescents is not insulting?

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Its a real attack on the designers who obviously intended the displays to be orange.

LMAO. Gotta be sarcasm.

#176 6 years ago

Early GI colorization in the form of plastic sleeves on Gottlieb woodrails.

roto5-600x450 (resized).jpgroto5-600x450 (resized).jpg

#177 6 years ago

Whoever LED'd that Doctor Who should be drawn and quartered!

#178 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Hi is this where cool people come to talk about LEDs? Oh Sorry, wrong thread.

201507559c005d9c159 (resized).jpg201507559c005d9c159 (resized).jpg

PS: The pic you posted was already posted by some jackass on the first page.....I'm just trying to help out the elderly.

#179 6 years ago

I seriously think this hobby must have a higher incidence of RGB colorblindness. I just can't see how any person with two fully-functioning eyes could either: a. think those light combinations were aesthetically pleasing or, more importantly, b. see the playfield to actually play a game.

#180 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

I seriously think this hobby must have a higher incidence of RGB colorblindness. I just can't see how any person with two fully-functioning eyes could either: a. think those light combinations were aesthetically pleasing or, more importantly, b. see the playfield to actually play a game.

It’s because they’re like monkeys and are attracted bright, flashy things.

#181 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

I am going to side with the others in that facebook thread. You are trolling for what purpose? I am pretty sure you don't need to lead your anti-LED agenda on someone else's sale post. No one cares that you think the prices should be cut in half because you are too lazy to change the bulbs. If you aren't interested in buying the game; then move on like a adult. Likening works of priceless art with pinball machines? Come on.

it wasn't really that I was expecting it to be worth half. It was driving the point, that when you sell a game, you want it to show the best that you can. Over there, is where this color puke thing is becoming the biggest problem. One guy does it, and the others pat each other on the back, which encourages the next one and so on. That's why it's so out of control over there. Nobody has the balls to tell them it looks like cold dog shit. So with me starting the coversation off with a serious reduction offer because of the lighting. It ends up being more of an impact, than if I just said it straight up looked like shit. It's the 2 guys that are determined to say it looks good, that continue to be the problem. Pinball is ment to be used and played. Not only are the visuals displeasing, but the functionality of it goes right out the window. When you have colored GI's, you really can't see shit when you play. Makes it very difficult.

#182 6 years ago

Collateral damage to the retinas of innocent spectators

f901c02f343597fd32688a8e355f3cf3 (resized).jpgf901c02f343597fd32688a8e355f3cf3 (resized).jpg

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

PS: The pic you posted was already posted by some jackass on the first page....

Awww someone butt hurt because people think your game looks terrible

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

You elderly millennial! Lol

#185 6 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

You elderly millennial! Lol

Get off my lawn!

#186 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/299213816922644/permalink/849874061856614/?sale_post_id=849874061856614&comment_id=850205121823508&reply_comment_id=850438858466801¬if_id=1510031834448895¬if_t=group_comment_mention

You really took time to crusade on Facebook?

I agree that color bombing looks like trash. I was def guilty of it when I started with LEDs because it was fun. Took me to learn my own lessons that it might be fun to play around, but sure doesn't look good.

That said, anyone can do anything to their game if they enjoy it - but beware when it comes time to sell or trade it. haha

#187 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

How could you tell it was his game? He's been harassing me all morning over this. LOL

#188 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

You really took time to crusade on Facebook?
    I agree that color bombing looks like trash. I was def guilty of it when I started with LEDs because it was fun. Took me to learn my own lessons that it might be fun to play around, but sure doesn't look good.
    That said, anyone can do anything to their game if they enjoy it - but beware when it comes time to sell or trade it. haha

If I have the time, i'll put in my 2 cents on anything. I do the same thing in real life. Whenever people do this to games, and they ask me what I think. I straight up tell them, it looks like shit. We both laugh and I have the worst game of my life on it, because i can't see shit.

#189 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Nah, just be ready when I dish it out back to you. Unless you're planning to never sell here. In that case...carry on old fariry. err..fart

#190 6 years ago

Frankly I'm beginning to think of Pinstadium as a hate crime against retinas.

#191 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it wasn't really that I was expecting it to be worth half. It was driving the point, that when you sell a game, you want it to show the best that you can. Over there, is where this color puke thing is becoming the biggest problem. One guy does it, and the others pat each other on the back, which encourages the next one and so on. That's why it's so out of control over there. Nobody has the balls to tell them it looks like cold dog shit. So with me starting the coversation off with a serious reduction offer because of the lighting. It ends up being more of an impact, than if I just said it straight up looked like shit. It's the 2 guys that are determined to say it looks good, that continue to be the problem. Pinball is ment to be used and played. Not only are the visuals displeasing, but the functionality of it goes right out the window. When you have colored GI's, you really can't see shit when you play. Makes it very difficult.

When you find yourself explaining "why your not an asshole . . ." your probably an asshole.

#192 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Nah, just be ready when I dish it out back to you. Unless you're planning to never sell here. In that case...carry on old fariry. err..fart

If I ever sell a rainbow puke game I'll let you personally kick me in the nuts.

#193 6 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

How could you tell it was his game? He's been harassing me all morning over this. LOL

Click on his for sale ads

#194 6 years ago

If I ever hear anyone describe an LED job they dont' like as "Rainbow Puke" or "Clown Puke" I'll definitely kick someone in the nuts. It's just like one of the many mindless sayings on Pinside..."Epic, Deep Rules, World Under Glass"...Phulease, get some new material.

#195 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Thank god to this day I still don't have a Facebook account. In regards to LOTR, I think it looks best in all incandescent and that's how mine was when I owned it.

#196 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

If I ever sell a rainbow puke game I'll let you personally kick me in the nuts.

And I will too!

#197 6 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

Thank god to this day I still don't have a Facebook account. In regards to LOTR, I think it looks best in all incandescent and that's how mine was when I owned it.

Quoted from kvan99:

If I ever hear anyone describe an LED job they dont' like as "Rainbow Puke" or "Clown Puke" I'll definitely kick someone in the nuts. It's just like one of the many mindless sayings on Pinside..."Epic, Deep Rules, World Under Glass"...Phulease, get some new material.

How bout you go to a thread with your own like minded people instead of stomping around like a little brat that didn't get what he wants

#198 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

how about we just describe it as straight up stupidity then. Because if you put colored bulbs in the GI's....that's exactly what it is. You ruined the art package of the game. You have now made the game visually unplayable, unless your game is setup in the backyard in the middle of a sunny afternoon. And the only one that can compliment you on the looks if your color spaz, is Stevie Wonder.

#199 6 years ago

Mwong. Didn't mean to quote you. My bad

#200 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how about we just describe it as straight up stupidity then. Because if you put colored bulbs in the GI's....that's exactly what it is. You ruined the art package of the game. You have now made the game visually unplayable, unless your game is setup in the backyard in the middle of a sunny afternoon. And the only one that can compliment you on the looks if your color spaz, is Stevie Wonder.

Amen brother. I actually studied lighting design for theatrical productions. there are so many rules with color and light it's insane. That's why cinematographers in movies make big bucks. They are trained! It's not an idiot thinking something looks good because it's bright.

There are 8,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/4?hl=aplundell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.