(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,254 posts
  • 454 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Jason43
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_175932 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0286 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_174801_31 (resized).jpg
    432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240325_221629653 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8096331_0 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 8,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 166.
    #1801 6 years ago

I’ll be back y’all

199AD022-AC7E-472C-90FF-F91EA0F40E07 (resized).png199AD022-AC7E-472C-90FF-F91EA0F40E07 (resized).png

#1802 6 years ago

Find the games without puke in the following photos

1400609_orig (resized).jpg1400609_orig (resized).jpg
    arcade-4 (resized).jpgarcade-4 (resized).jpg
    DSCF5195 (resized).jpgDSCF5195 (resized).jpg
    image3 (resized).jpgimage3 (resized).jpg

#1803 6 years ago

22bemr (resized).jpg22bemr (resized).jpg

#1804 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Find the games without puke in the following photos

These people seem to be playing games with clown puke, and still having fun. WTF gives?????

#1805 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

These people seem to be playing games with clown puke, and still having fun. WTF gives?????

They need to get into this thread and be told (via repetitive 500 word posts) that what they are looking at and the fun they are having is simply incorrect!

#1806 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

They need to get into this thread and be told (via repetitive 500 word posts) that what they are looking at and the fun they are having is simply incorrect!

It's also important to have at least one of those posts on all 37 pages.

I can't believe the post above got a thread eject and irobot dropped another long winded post on the same page, LOL
    I'm sure this will get me an eject but it just too funny.

#1807 6 years ago

Haha you clowns crying aboot people being repetitive.

#1808 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Because they are sensibly playing with some ambient lighting, and not taking pics in pitch black room.

#1809 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

It's also important to have at least one of those posts on all 37 pages.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha you clowns crying aboot people being repetitive.

Come on guys, we all know the story of the infamous red Atlantis translite.......and how he wasn't allowed to participate in any reindeer games. Then one foggy L...E....D..., Santa came to say.....

#1810 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Doesn't look that way to me. The picture with the little girl, looks like she's using all of her might to keep from hurling because of the LED job.

#1811 6 years ago

The only person smiling in all those pics is a 7 year old girl. So yeah...makes sense.

#1812 6 years ago

Why so much hating ? Just LED the games as you like and enjoy the hobby ..

#1813 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The only person smiling in all those pics is a 7 year old girl. So yeah...makes sense.

I never smile when I am playing. I'm dead serious stone cold just like all those folks pouring money into those games in those pics. You don't have to smile to be having fun.

#1814 6 years ago
    Quoted from Manny10:

because you need to be able to see the ball when you play. It's like playing a video game, with the gamma turned down to 10%

#1815 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I never smile when I am playing. I'm dead serious stone cold just like all those folks pouring money into those games in those pics. You don't have to smile to be having fun.

Of course I understand, my statement is just as factless as his.

Quoted from Manny10:

Thank you Mr. "LED distributor" for your unbiased thoughts

#1816 6 years ago
    Quoted from Manny10:

Have you not read the dozens of duplicative manifestos/rants/posts/panic attacks? There is a right way and a wrong way to like things that you own! If you like it, chances are, you're wrong and you dont actually like it!

#1817 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

because you need to be able to see the ball when you play. It's like playing a video game, with the gamma turned down to 10%

That's only an argument for a serious player in a specific environment, such as too dark of a room. In that ambient overhead lit environment I guarantee those casual players and kids are seeing the games well enough to play them, they are walking up to the brightest games to play them, and they are probably not Pinsiders. Lastly, they don't care.

Look, I tried. When I suggested only white to my friend ordering LEDs he said: "Are you serious?.. you gotta have some color in there to make the game more exciting".

#1818 6 years ago

i disagree. I played at an arcade this weekend, with florescent overhead lighting. Road Kings was done in all red, and even with the overhead lighting, I couldn't see a damn thing anywhere. Same with waterworld that had the entire back in blue. It was so dark.

Unless you have the light directly above shining down, you can't see shit. Even if you do, then you have glare, so you still can't see shit. There is a reason GI's are there. They supply game light, so you can see the ball. When you screw with that formula, you go from being able to see..to not.

Having limited spectrum lighting, hinders the performance of your machine greatly.

#1819 6 years ago

Have you not read the dozens of duplicative manifestos/rants/posts/panic attacks? There is a right way and a wrong way to like things that you own! If you like it, chances are, you're wrong and you dont actually like it!

https://listenonrepeat.com/?v=DdTTqDGPEeg#Skipping_Record

#1821 6 years ago

Clown Puke The Movie

people can claim that there is some sort of profound artistry to puking, but this one looks unmistakably random

missing purple in the translite. disappointed!

#1822 6 years ago

Even when they switch to total darkness no trouble seeing the ball. I wouldn't color mine like this, but just sayin'...the can't see the ball argument is overblown or you have some eyesight issues. I had more trouble seeing F-14 Tomcat because of its stock flashers than any colored GI game I've ever played

#1823 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Come on guys, we all know the story of the infamous red Atlantis translite.......and how he wasn't allowed to participate in any reindeer games. Then one foggy L...E....D..., Santa came to say.....

Look at this plucky moobster go to town on this thread.

Made up a song and everything.

#1824 6 years ago

This is the next phase of puke evolution.

https://i.imgur.com/6NquxZr.mp4

#1825 6 years ago

They have the audacity to ask money for this.

FB_IMG_1515459842056 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1515459842056 (resized).jpg

#1826 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I saw this posted on Facebook. The owner posted before and after pics and was proud of the result. I'm hoping he was reading from right to left.

Quoted from LesManley:

LOVE the disclaimer in the auction description!
    "Safety Warning: Super Bright Quad 4LED bulbs are exactly that, Super Bright, please do not look directly into the light without eye protection, or under playfield plastics, or behind the backglass. LED does not mean safer for the eyes. It does mean much brighter lights, far less energy consumption and far less heat inside the pinball machines."
    Good thing you never need to look at a playfield when you are playing pinball. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about someone who would do this, I don't know what would.

Quoted from LesManley:

I don't know what's more ridiculous, all blue GI or trying to sell Waterworld for $3,000.

This is what I'm talking about. Purple and blue LEDs heavily criticized here...but then elsewhere....the same poster's games. That TAF and TOM look pretty blue, purple and bright to me. But I like it.

LOTR has some blue, purple, red,....now I see why some of the advocates haven't been posting pics of their games.

IMG_4553 (resized).PNGIMG_4553 (resized).PNG

#1827 6 years ago

Sold for $4,795.00

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#1828 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Sold for $4,795.00

WTF are people thinking? That's not about the clown puke, either.....

#1829 6 years ago

And up for sale locally:

#1830 6 years ago

I don't understand what the point is to any of this bickering.

There's no convincing to be done on either side.

Obviously, the vendors are selling LED kits and people are buying them. So clown puke is very popular. Which matters not. It's not an election.

And.. there's no right or wrong answer. If you like your LOTR glowing bright red, then you like it. If you don't you don't.

Changing the bulbs doesn't actually hurt the game, so it's a morally neutral act.

From an objective standpoint, there are actual pros and cons to using LEDs.

CONS:

Because the games were designed for white incandescent bulbs, there are a few functional negatives to using LEDs.

1. A colored light shining on a painted surface will wash out the painted surface, it turns the other colors grey and black. So the game gets monochromatic. This problem wasn't considered when the game artwork was originally created. If they had colored LEDs back in 1990, they would have made the artwork more LED friendly. As it is, you end up with the original artwork disappearing into a muddy purple haze.

2. Similarly, because the games were mostly designed for white bulbs to be used as illumination, the bulb light spreads all over. So there is some clumsiness if you try to use bulbs for accent lighting, because the accent color bleeds everywhere. Like when colored bulbs are used in the translite and the color bleeds all over the artwork or turns into a circular blob that doesn't match the shape of the item being accented.

3. Some games have variable lighting effects which don't work with LEDs.

PROs:

1. A situation where the LEDs can be exploited to good effect is a game that is under-illuminated, where the brighter bulb could be used here and there.

2. Or for inserts, where the color of the bulb matches the insert color and the color bleed is controlled by the shape of the insert cutout in the playfield. Why not used a colored bulb to make some tired old insert look better? Within reason.

3. One biggie that I forgot (as per Colsond3): "Much less heat, therefore less bent and burnt plastics, no damage to backglass or burnt translites, no warping of inserts. Even 47's still run hot." Plus apparently there is less load on the game electronics.

The above are the practical aspects of using LEDs. The philosophical and aesthetic aspects are not subject to any logic, so there's no point in arguing.

#1831 6 years ago

I'm kind of curious if websites like www.ipdb.org are going to keep their non-puke pictures or start posting purple haze.

Since clowning is fabulous new face of pinball, shouldn't the photos be updated?

#1832 6 years ago

@irobot, here's the deal as I read it.

Nobody in this thread thinks that people should not be able to do what they want with their games when it comes to putting whatever crap they want in them. It's theirs to do with what they wish.

Some people in this thread think you should be able to point and laugh at those who do clown puke their games, because the result almost always looks terrible and is worthy of ridicule.

These are two different things.

1) do what you want.
    2) if it's terrible, you deserve ridicule.

It's like this: You have the right to believe 2+2=5. If you do believe that, you also deserve all the ridicule for believing that.

To correctly argue in this thread, you need to be defending the people who believe 2+2=5.

#1833 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I'm kind of curious if websites like http://www.ipdb.org are going to keep their non-puke pictures or start posting purple haze.
    Since clowning is fabulous new face of pinball, shouldn't the photos be updated?

Preposterous. The site is a historical database. Now, if a manufacturer were to release a version of a game that was puked, or if the only pictures of a game available were puked, then it would be acceptable.

#1834 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

It's like this: You have the right to believe 2+2=5. If you do believe that, you also deserve all the ridicule for believing that.
    To correctly argue in this thread, you need to be defending the people who believe 2+2=5.

There's a hole in this though. Imagine you are running a company, let's say you are the accountant.
    Believing 2+2=5: You not only get ridiculed, but the books get screwed and the company fails as well.
    Believing in clown puke: They ignore the ridicule because they don't care, play the games just fine, and still sell them for ridiculous money.

#1835 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Obviously, the vendors are selling LED kits and people are buying them. So clown puke is very popular. Which matters not. It's not an election.
    And.. there's no right or wrong answer. If you like your LOTR glowing bright red, then you like it. If you don't you don't.
    Changing the bulbs doesn't actually hurt the game, so it's a morally neutral act.
    CONS:
    Because the games were designed for white incandescent bulbs, there are a few functional negatives to using LEDs.
    1. A colored light shining on a painted surface will wash out the painted surface, it turns the other colors grey and black. So the game gets monochromatic. This problem wasn't considered when the game artwork was originally created. If they had colored LEDs back in 1990, they would have made the artwork more LED friendly. As it is, you end up with the original artwork disappearing into a muddy purple haze.
    2. Similarly, because the games were mostly designed for white bulbs to be used as illumination, the bulb light spreads all over. So there is some clumsiness if you try to use bulbs for accent lighting, because the accent color bleeds everywhere. Like when colored bulbs are used in the translite and the color bleeds all over the artwork or turns into a circular blob that doesn't match the shape of the item being accented.
    PROs:
    1. A situation where the LEDs can be exploited to good effect is a game that is under-illuminated, where the brighter bulb could be used here and there.
    2. Or for inserts, where the color of the bulb matches the insert color and the color bleed is controlled by the shape of the insert cutout in the playfield. Why not used a colored bulb to make some tired old insert look better? Within reason.
    The above are the practical aspects of using LEDs. The philosophical and aesthetic aspects are not subject to any logic, so there's no point in arguing.

Massive progress here.

Bravo!

Rep given.

#1836 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

There's a hole in this though. Imagine you are running a company, let's say you are the accountant.
    Believing 2+2=5: You not only get ridiculed, but the books get screwed and the company fails as well.
    Believing in clown puke: They ignore the ridicule because they don't care, play the games just fine, and still sell them for ridiculous money.

You have to defend that clown puke actually looks good, and not be pissy because people think it's ridiculous looking.
    Nobody in here is taking the "people shouldn't be allowed to do what they want" argument.

The argument being made is: "I think clown puked games look ridiculous". You need to argue the other side of what this thread is about, and not this straw man argument about freedom to do ridiculous things.

#1837 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

CONS:
    PROs:

For anyone questioning the point of the topic. Look at the magazine rack in the checkout aise of any supermarket. There’s bound to be a few gossipy titles like “Best / Worst Dressed” or “SHE WORE WHAT?!”.

Now apply it to pinball. We’re having fun judging our picks for “worst dressed”. Nothing more than that. I don’t think anyone here is really trying make someone change their ways.

#1838 6 years ago

I remember a few sales of 1000pc, 44/47 Frosted Purple, to the statement....."Im changing all the GI in all my games to Purple!"

This was 4 years ago.....I still cant imagine this!

#1839 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I remember a few sales of 1000pc, 44/47 Frosted Purple, to the statement....."Im changing all the GI in all my games to Purple!"
    This was 4 years ago.....I still cant imagine this!

One of the LED kit companies sold all their kits with purple GI lamps, claiming it was the best color to use for pinball. That's my memory, anyway. I remember the pictures they posted were always....purple.

#1840 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

"I think clown puked games look ridiculous". You need to argue the other side of what this thread is about, and not this straw man argument about freedom to do ridiculous things.

Thats no more of an argument than "I like broccoli. Convince me why I'm wrong."

#1841 6 years ago

Thats no more of an argument than "I like broccoli. Convince me why I'm wrong."

I like broccoli too. I can tell you the reasons why I like broccoli. I like the taste, and I like the texture. It can be prepared several different ways and give different flavor profiles depending on how it's cooked, and what it is cooked with.

Can you explain why you like clown puked games?

#1842 6 years ago

You forgot much less heat, therefore less bent and burnt plastics, no damage to backglass or burnt translites, no warping of inserts. Even 47's still run hot. There are practical and sensible pros, not just aesthetic related. As said earlier in the thread, there are sunlight and warm white LED's for those who prefer the incandescent look.

#1843 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

You forgot much less heat, therefore less bent and burnt plastics, no damage to backglass or burnt translites, no warping of inserts. Even 47's still run hot. There are practical and sensible pros, not just aesthetic related. As said earlier in the thread, there are sunlight and warm white LED's for those who prefer the incandescent look.

I have LED's in every singe one of my games, for the reasons you mention. Even some color LED's in specific spots. I still think most of these completely color bombed games look ridiculous.

#1844 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

The argument being made is: "I think clown puked games look ridiculous". You need to argue the other side of what this thread is about, and not this straw man argument about freedom to do ridiculous things.

I'm not arguing either side, because you can't argue an opinion.
    - I agree, most of the clown puked games I dislike
    - some, Meh - not too bad. Kind of liked that Fire! earlier in the thread.
    - I have incandescent bulbs in the backbox of Comet for one reason and one reason only. I like the way it looks.

My argument is that the statements about playability and impact of sales are overblown. Some people can't play games with colored GI, and some may be losing some market of folks that dislike colored GI strongly. People are playing, buying, and selling puked games and there is no stopping that.

#1845 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

The thread is not specifically about LEDs. It's about colored GI. What if you use colored bulb condoms on all the incandescent in the GI?

#1846 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I like broccoli too. I can tell you the reasons why I like broccoli. I like the taste, and I like the texture. It can be prepared several different ways and give different flavor profiles depending on how it's cooked, and what it is cooked with.
    Can you explain why you like clown puked games?

I dont like them.

But I assume they'd say "I like games with lots of color. They look cool/fun to me."

#1847 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I'm not arguing either side, because you can't argue an opinion.

You can when it comes to LEDs apparently (and vegetables). There is a 'right' and 'wrong'.

#1848 6 years ago

You can when it comes to LEDs apparently (and vegetables). .

What about LED'd vegetables?

article-2687674-1F8B45AD00000578-484_634x421 (resized).jpgarticle-2687674-1F8B45AD00000578-484_634x421 (resized).jpg

#1849 6 years ago

I dont like them.
    But I assume they'd say "I like games with lots of color. They look cool/fun to me."

The people on "the other side" of this argument aren't arguing that point. That's the disconnect.

#1850 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

The people on "the other side" of this argument aren't arguing that point. That's the disconnect.

Just because someone started a post named: "No More Broccoli! Total food fail!" doesn't mean people who like broccoli need to start arguing why broccoli tastes good to them lol. I think thats the disconnect here.

There are 8,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/37?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.