(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,256 posts
  • 454 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 hours ago by CelticKnot
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1713831025059 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831007017 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_175932 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0286 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_174801_31 (resized).jpg
    432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240325_221629653 (resized).jpg
    There are 8,256 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 166.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I have hundreds.
    Taste the rainbow, the flavor of burnt turdburger.
    If a person thinks any of these examples are in good taste, their taste buds are already damaged from LED flambé.
    Use common sense and subjectivity is not an issue.
    Also, try to avoid contracting NCS (New Collector Syndrome), as bad LED usage is a direct symptom, and the disease is highly contagious.

... not sure if I should thumbs up for some good examples, or thumb down for the gawd awful LED jobs.

#52 6 years ago

Great thread buddy. I remember the ultra green Congo. (Now, if we could just get that colour-changing mystery insert out of there... Lol)

It is short-sighted to call members of this club "haters" and I would surmise that those who do so are not competitive players. As RJW alluded to, you are choosing aesthetics over playability when you use colour GI (and/or incorrect flipper bats).

It is particularly annoying in the competitive environment. Playing in a tournament last weekend, there were a few rainbow puke games that made ball tracking very difficult. On F-14, when the ball was in the upper PF area you could barely see it.

Think about playing during multiball and how much tracking that your eyes are doing, quick checks here and there, slight glances, trying to make nudge saves on the outlanes while hitting a jackpot shot at the same time. All of this is made incredibly more difficult when visibility drops.

Just say no to colour GI. If you absolutely must use colour, a painted incandescent bulb has less negative effects on artwork and visibility.

#53 6 years ago

Color'ed LED's in the GI should be used sparingly IMO. If you want that original look use "warm" white.

I've used Cointaker LED's with herg 's LED/OCD board in my games. The board and software allow you to set each individual LED's brightness easily. In defense to some, the colors are always exaggerated when taking pictures of LED'ed games.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Color'ed LED's in the GI should be used sparingly IMO. If you want that original look use "warm" white.
    I've used Cointaker LED's with herg 's LED/OCD board in my games. The board and software allow you to set each individual LED's brightness easily. In defense to some, the colors are always exaggerated when taking pictures of LED'ed games.

That last part is true. The games I have had with color led always look more colorful in pictures

#55 6 years ago

No clown puke in this house!

IMG_2117 (resized).JPGIMG_2117 (resized).JPG

#56 6 years ago

IMG_3995 (resized).JPGIMG_3995 (resized).JPG

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Or the blind community has really taken a liking to pinball in the last year. I can't believe the amount of colortrash out there.

Dammit, that deaf, dumb, and blind kid sure made a mess of things with what he started.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I have hundreds.
    Taste the rainbow, the flavor of burnt turdburger.
    If a person thinks any of these examples are in good taste, their taste buds are already damaged from LED flambé.
    Use common sense and subjectivity is not an issue.
    Also, try to avoid contracting NCS (New Collector Syndrome), as bad LED usage is a direct symptom, and the disease is highly contagious.

That Terminator 3 has got to be my favorite example of bad GI. It literally looks like a corrupted video game that loaded all the wrong color palettes.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

No clown puke in this house!

Except for that clock

#60 6 years ago

Hey now! I kinda dig the blue and white.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:Except for that clock

#61 6 years ago

Purple and pink bulbs have absolutely no business in a pinball machine, unless you happen to own a My Little Pony machine or something along those lines.

#62 6 years ago

Keith turned Hobbit attract mode into a skittles barf-o-Rama. Someone else can post a pic cause it hurts my eyes too much.

#63 6 years ago

Two more Abominations!

White_Water_PF (resized).jpgWhite_Water_PF (resized).jpg

GOTTLIEB_BLACK_HOLE_PINBALL_MACHINE_LED_s_HUO_05_ya (resized).jpgGOTTLIEB_BLACK_HOLE_PINBALL_MACHINE_LED_s_HUO_05_ya (resized).jpg

#64 6 years ago

Wow that Whitewater looks like the Arctic Adventure or Matterhorn Mayhem now.

#65 6 years ago

they didn't make bigfoot look like bumble. They should have went with the cool white for that one. Would still have given that effect, but made it so you can actually see something.

#66 6 years ago

That black hole looks good. Everyone wants immersive pinball. Now if your floating around in space there is probably not alot of warm white light. I think the blue enhances the theme on this one. Can I say that or is this thread only for negative commentary?

#68 6 years ago

rainbow brite fart (resized).JPGrainbow brite fart (resized).JPG

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

That black hole looks good. Everyone wants immersive pinball. Now if your floating around in space there is probably not alot of warm white light. I think the blue enhances the theme on this one. Can I say that or is this thread only for negative commentary?

This was my whole point from earlier. Whether it looks good or not is up for debate (I think it looks bad) but that LED job was done taking into account how it looks without giving any consideration to how it will play.

I certainly don't want 'immersive pinball' at the expense of being able to see/track the ball. I'm sure some can see/track the ball in that lighting but I sure can't.

And like Maken said, in a competitive environment those gaudy color GI LED jobs should be outlawed.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

For your next trick, are you going to go into the mod removers club and tell them all about the plastic toys you like to plaster all over your games?

#71 6 years ago

Fair enough. The LEDs do emit more lumens than an incandescent and are actually brighter though a different hue. Some people think my girlfriend is fat, I think she looks good, but she's sexiest in the dark.

#72 6 years ago

Is it acceptable to down vote any posted opinion we disagree with?

FYI, did you know the Human eye can't really focus on blue light? For proof, next time you are diving at night and see a business sign lit up exclusively in blue, see how well you can make out the detail (if at all). This is why early Word Processor programs used Blue as the background so your eyes could more easily focus on the lettering on the screen.

#73 6 years ago

So are you saying with the blue GI background light it would be easier to focus on the silver ball? Makes sense.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

So are you saying with the blue GI background light it would be easier to focus on the silver ball? Makes sense.

Not if the only thing lighting it up is Blue LED light. But if there were enough ambient room light, then what you state would probably be true.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Uh, no it doesn't. You make it sound like the pinball glows silver independent of what GI is in the machine. If the whole game is blue GI, the pinball itself is reflecting blue light, which makes it 'disappear' into the playfield.

I'm seriously scratching my head at some of the posts in this thread. It's like people either don't read the thread title, feel it's their duty to try to make everyone's opinion the same as theirs or they are just trolling.

#76 6 years ago

Well, "disappear" seems like it might be an exaggeration.

#77 6 years ago

I think most of these machines look good. Not always my taste and ofcourse it can be done very wrong. But you can do a lot of cool things with LEDS. Best thing, if you don't like it, put in the lights you like. LED's aren't expensive and normal lamps are super cheap. No big deal

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pmuis:

I think most of these machines look good. Not always my taste and ofcourse it can be done very wrong. But you can do a lot of cool things with LEDS. Best thing, if you don't like it, put in the lights you like. LED's aren't expensive and normal lamps are super cheap. No big deal

So next time I'm at a tournament I should just open the games and change the bulbs im sure that would go over well.

Did you read the thread title? I think your in the wrong place.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Well, "disappear" seems like it might be an exaggeration.

Thanks for your incredibly valuable contribution to this thread.

If you're done now, please leave and let the rest of us discuss the topic without your pointless trolling.

I'd suggest heading over to the Alien thread to tell them all how much you think that game sucks.

#80 6 years ago

Rainbow.gifRainbow.gif

#81 6 years ago

You'll have blue and like it!

4b1ae14348ebb49156ef014584ed1a4999afafe0 (resized).jpg4b1ae14348ebb49156ef014584ed1a4999afafe0 (resized).jpg
    5118c940f327660e5b4b7f230e3188b2c4b87ea5 (resized).jpg5118c940f327660e5b4b7f230e3188b2c4b87ea5 (resized).jpg

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Two more Abominations!

That White Water itself is two abominations: 1 for the terrible blue GI, and the other for converting it into the "snow edition." Yikes... I don't know about you, but I've never had the urge to go white water rafting in the winter. Shots could be renamed to "Temperature Drop!" "Hypothermia Falls" and callouts could be something like "Riiiiiiidddeeee the whirlpool where your body temperature drops, your heart, nervous system and other organs can't work normally. Left untreated, hypothermia can eventually lead to complete failure of your heart and respiratory system and eventually to death."

#83 6 years ago

Wow. That TZ is horrendous! Anyone who disagrees doesn't have any aesthetic sense and should not be allowed to "decorate" anything.

#84 6 years ago

most games look bad with color in GI, but my BSD has blue/purple and i like it. when i got my tron it had the crazy bright multi leds in blue and i changed that right away. but, to each his/her own. if its their game and they like how it looks, thats all that really matters. if its too annoying for other people to play they wont have many friends playing pinball with them lol

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Wow. That TZ is horrendous! Anyone who disagrees doesn't have any aesthetic sense and should not be allowed to "decorate" anything.

says the guy in a bowler hat and suspenders. But honestly I applaud your uniqueness and style like we should do for anyone trying to express their own creativity even if its just playing with LEDs.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

says the guy in a bowler hat and suspenders. But honestly I applaud your uniqueness and style like we should do for anyone trying to express their own creativity even if its just playing with LEDs.

My avatar isn't me. Its King Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp. I'm all for experimenting on your own, but this is a thread making fun of poor lighting choices.

#88 6 years ago

Another fun thing about LEDs in GI is that awesome 60Hz flicker you get! Nothing like trying to play pinball while you're having a seizure.

#90 6 years ago

That Pharaoh is hot....

#91 6 years ago

Ow! Ow! Ow!

I never made these products to be so badly abused!

I've never seen some of these pics before.

I hope those that do this don't do So with their Christmas lights!

( or light their Menorah with RGB or colored bulbs!)

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

have you ever played black hole? It's hard enough to see with normal lights. This would be damn near impossible to play unless you had it setup in the middle of your yard in the middle of summer afternoon.

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Fair enough. The LEDs do emit more lumens than an incandescent and are actually brighter though a different hue. Some people think my girlfriend is fat, I think she looks good, but she's sexiest in the dark.

pics so we can judge.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ow! Ow! Ow!
    I never made these products to be so badly abused!
    I've never seen some of these pics before.
    I hope those that do this don't do So with their Christmas lights!
    ( or light their Menorah with RGB or colored bulbs!)

These are the kind of guys who buy those LED Christmas light projectors and think it looks good.

#95 6 years ago

Who Dey, you really are a trolling piece of shit. Biggest troll on pinside. You have nearly 1200 downvotes, whats the all time record?

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

These are the kind of guys who buy those LED Christmas light projectors and think it looks good.

Suddenly, this product popped into my head:

color wheel (resized).jpgcolor wheel (resized).jpg

#97 6 years ago

I think we need to buy as many blue LED's as possible, just to have a destruction party. Have a get together and smash the sh!+ outta them!

IM-Blue-1web_1024x1024 (resized).jpgIM-Blue-1web_1024x1024 (resized).jpg

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Who Dey, you really are a trolling piece of shit. Biggest troll on pinside. You have nearly 1200 downvotes, whats the all time record?

Did you post in the wrong thread?

#99 6 years ago

Blue washes out all artwork and makes it impossible to track the ball. How do so many people not see that! Is there such a thing as blue light tolerance? That's the only explanation I have.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Did you post in the wrong thread?

No, that troll follows him around down voting his posts regardless of the content.

Pretty immature.

There are 8,256 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/2?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.