(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_market_175921_1 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831025059 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831007017 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_175932 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0286 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_174801_31 (resized).jpg
    432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg
    There are 8,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 166.
    #951 6 years ago

I like this thread because in the past when people color bombed a game they had praise heaped on them.

That kind of politeness is not helpful.

Honesty is helpful.

#952 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Why are people expressing hurt and pain over my opinion of their tacky color bombed day-glo-tastic game?
    (BTW- Hurt feelings are a valid form of argument at Oberlin College. Elsewhere, hurt feelings count for nothing.)
    Why did they come to a clown puke thread in the first place if their feelings are so delicate?
    Why are they complainign about people hating clown puke in a thread devoted to hating clown puke?
    Why is everyone bickering over unrelated topics and semantics?

Agree... I think you or jar155 should cry to the moderators. LMFAO

#953 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Thanks for proving my observation that the clown puke posse cannot construct a valid argument.
    You post is a combination of ad-hominem and straw man.
    Kudos!

Dude, I really thought you had a higher IQ because you're completely missing my point here.... I'm picking/trolling on you cause you're taking this subject so seriously like a personal vendetta! I just love your posts to death! They make my day a lot funnier!

#954 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Dude, I really thought you had a higher IQ because you're completely missing my point here.... I'm picking/trolling on you

This is a personal attack. This thread is pointing out color GI fails...not personal attacks.

#955 6 years ago

You dont like my LED job? Thats ok, I slept with your wife.

#956 6 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

Here is the before pinstadium pic for that STTNG above. If the owner had done a better or proper job of lighting up his game with incandescent or warm/natural white leds he wouldn't need pinstadium lights.

It's very true. Besides looking terrible, colored GI makes the playfield look far more dark.

#957 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It's very true. Besides looking terrible, colored GI makes the playfield look far more dark.

The most logical reply if heard yet. Although I don't mind color GIs it the darkness of the playfield that I can't stand.

#958 6 years ago

Thanks wayout, I'm honored that you put me personally in the topic.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Legs are really bad....oh and they're based on the "leg protectors" that actually damage your csb

Actually they don't come in full pressure contact with the cabinet decals or paint and buyers who have games with the Stern type standoffs put them on OVER those so my mod doesn't even come close to making contact. But blast away if you want, it's actually good for business.

#959 6 years ago

This thread is so funny!

#960 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

This is a personal attack.

Do you think so? I love picking on grumpy people, pinside is full of them!

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

This thread is so funny!

Isn't it? one of my favorites already!

#961 6 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

That picture is taken directly from a local online ad. It looks exactly like that in the ad. So it wasn't doctored unless you're saying the person selling the game doctored the photo to make it look worse than it is.

Which pic F-14 or IM? Also can you post link to ad? Maybe it's a fellow Pinsider.

#962 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Those plastic pieces of shit which claim to be "protectors". actually dig into your cabinet beyond the leg area, which makes the damage even worse, because it cannot be covered up by the leg anymore. They dig in just like legs do. If you give a crap about your cabinet at all, you will not put those plastic pieces of shit on your game.

See post 958 please.

#963 6 years ago

I am personally hurt at color shitfest games.......................hurts my eyes. As an artist, I do not like seeing artwork desecrated by pisspoor lighting. Also amazes me, how people do this on games they are trying to sell, and do not understand why their game isn't selling when it looks like that. Some people are unteachable. Never learn. If the game doesn't "Show" well, it's not going to sell. Again. It's like selling a house. If you paint it with anything but white bland neutral earth tones. Your buyers market drops about 70%-80%.

#964 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Thanks wayout, I'm honored that you put me personally in the topic.

Actually they don't come in full pressure contact with the cabinet decals or paint and buyers who have games with the Stern type standoffs put them on OVER those so my mod doesn't even come close to making contact. But blast away if you want, it's actually good for business.

yes, if you put them over the metal inner style, they will not effect the cabinet. Most people do not do those unless stern did it at the factory.

#965 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

This thread is so funny!

Yeah I'm gettin a kick out of it too.

#966 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, if you put them over the metal inner style, they will not effect the cabinet.

and that's what I tell my customers too, most if not all my customers have put them on their games already just for that fact. If they haven't I suggest it.

#967 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Yup, dumber than that. But NOT as dumb looking as your Cabaret Sparky doll. Jesus Christ, so gay looking.
    And glowing green in the slings?

Hey cool it with the gay stuff. We really don't want moderators to come in and start banning ppl...as Mark Whalberg famously pointed out to Spike Jones in the movie 3 Kings, (there are plenty of good substitutes) without resorting to idiocy. Now carry on......

#968 6 years ago

You are not an artist, or you would not be trying to stifle other peoples attempts at being creative with their games.

#969 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

The most logical reply if heard yet. Although I don't mind color GIs it the darkness of the playfield that I can't stand.

Colored GI just gives you colored darkness

If you truly want to brighten up a game using leds you should go with comet warm or sunlight white or if you want cooler then go with natural white. Brighten up all my WPC games this way has been on my to do list for years and just only a matter of me making the time and doing it. Here is a picture of my Congo which I have been using incandescent bulbs in the GI ever since I bought it in 2011. I sorta "puked" on my game a bit by adding those natural white leds in the pops but that was only because I had the ramps and wireforms removed to send out for replating back in 2014.

It isn't as dark as it looks in the pic and you can totally see fine in person otherwise I wouldn't have waited 6 years to do this. When I showed this pic to my friend he said cool you put pinstadium lights on your game too? I'm like "eff" no and don't think I ever will because I feel it is over the top and takes a little bit away from the game's charm.

congo before (resized).jpgcongo before (resized).jpg

congo after (resized).jpgcongo after (resized).jpg

Here is what I did to my Congo for just under $35.

Spot Light Accent Assembly (2 x $3.50) + OPTIX MAXIMUS in warm white (2 x $2.29)
    - one spot light above the right sling shot aimed towards the middle and second one just below the upper left flipper aimed towards the volcano

2 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS 5050 SUPER FLEX NON-GHOSTING (2 x $1.59)
    - under each slingshot I aim one flex head up to illuminate the plastic and the other sideways aimed towards the middle area between the slings

3 SMD 6.3V LIGHTED STRIPS (1 x $2.95)
    - under the apron by the ball trough/drain area just below the flippers

TWIN 2835 SMD 6.3V AC/DC INTENSE BRIGHTNESS in warm white (25 pack for $12.25 black friday special)
    - used these all of GI in the game except for the inlane guides

OPTIX MAXIMUS in warm white (2 x $2.29)
    - used this under inlane guides because of nicely they throw the light

I played a few games to see if there is any noticeable flickering or anything that would otherwise affect game play and so far so good. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to put back incandescent bulbs or spring for another GI OCD board from herg like I did for my TOM. I was also a bit worried about the upper spot light I added affecting the upper flipper shots but it doesn't thankfully.

#970 6 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

Colored GI just gives you colored darkness
    If you truly want to brighten up a game using leds you should go with comet warm or sunlight white or if you want cooler then go with natural white. Brighten up all my WPC games this way has been on my to do list for years and just only a matter of me making the time and doing it. Here is a picture of my Congo which I have been using incandescent bulbs in the GI ever since I bought it in 2011. I sorta "puked" on my game a bit by adding those natural white leds in the pops but that was only because I had the ramps and wireforms removed to send out for replating back in 2014.
    It isn't as dark as it looks in the pic and you can totally see fine in person otherwise I wouldn't have waited 6 years to do this. When I showed this pic to my friend he said cool you put pinstadium lights on your game too? I'm like "eff" no and don't think I ever will because I feel it is over the top and takes a little bit away from the game's charm.
    Here is what I did to my Congo for just under $35.
    Spot Light Accent Assembly (2 x $3.50) + OPTIX MAXIMUS in warm white (2 x $2.29)
    - one spot light above the right sling shot aimed towards the middle and second one just below the upper left flipper aimed towards the volcano
    2 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS 5050 SUPER FLEX NON-GHOSTING (2 x $1.59)
    - under each slingshot I aim one flex head up to illuminate the plastic and the other sideways aimed towards the middle area between the slings
    3 SMD 6.3V LIGHTED STRIPS (1 x $2.95)
    - under the apron by the ball trough/drain area just below the flippers
    TWIN 2835 SMD 6.3V AC/DC INTENSE BRIGHTNESS in warm white (25 pack for $12.25 black friday special)
    - used these all of GI in the game except for the inlane guides
    OPTIX MAXIMUS in warm white (2 x $2.29)
    - used this under inlane guides because of nicely they throw the light
    I played a few games to see if there is any noticeable flickering or anything that would otherwise affect game play and so far so good. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to put back incandescent bulbs or spring for another GI OCD board from herg like I did for my TOM.

That’s the only one of your games that actually looks good with that formula. But hey it’s your game so more POWER to you.

#971 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

You are not an artist, or you would not be trying to stifle other peoples attempts at being creative with their games.

untrue. Every artist on here is appalled at the way these people desecrate another artists works of art.

#972 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

That’s the only one of your games that actually looks good with that formula. But hey it’s your game so more POWER to you.

I would hope not.
    I made enough variety, product, and brightness controls to achieve any look.
    If someone uses the wrong 'tool', that is the issue. Color can be fine, when done right.

#973 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Dude, I really thought you had a higher IQ because you're completely missing my point here.... I'm picking/trolling on you cause you're taking this subject so seriously like a personal vendetta! I just love your posts to death! They make my day a lot funnier!

okey dokey

that's real neato

#974 6 years ago

I can't tell the hyperbole from the sarcasm from the stupidity.

#975 6 years ago

Im appalled that you feel you can speak for every artist on here. Once someone owns a game its theirs to do with as they please. There is not some ethical lighting standard that their purchase contracts them to adhere to. If they had somehow found the original archived artwork and illegally defaced it well that would be appalling but making easily reversible lighting choices is far from desecrating. Personally I think the Mona Lisa would look better with a pencil mustache.

#976 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Im appalled that you feel you can speak for every artist on here. Once someone owns a game its theirs to do with as they please. There is not some ethical lighting standard that their purchase contracts them to adhere to. If they had somehow found the original archived artwork and illegally defaced it well that would be appalling but making easily reversible lighting choices is far from desecrating. Personally I think the Mona Lisa would look better with a pencil mustache.

LIke I said before. do what you want with your own games. but if you are trying to sell it. You HAVE to do what looks the best and presentable. Which is only white in GI's. If you insist thinking your shitfest is great. Then dont' sit there and wonder why your game hasn't sold already. or be very prepared to knock it down to basement pricing, to where someone will say ok...now it's worth buying, and having to go in and fix all this crap.

#977 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Actually they don't come in full pressure contact with the cabinet decals or paint ....

Good to know!

#978 6 years ago

I have never seen an LED job affect the price of a game whether up or down. If someone is selling a game and they spent time and money on LED's they usually make sure to mention that as a feature in the listing though. If someone tried to talk me below market value on a game because of my LED job I would politely show them the door.

#979 6 years ago

Since its christmas time here's my leg out the door to the "Bumpus hounds." Check out my awesome Galaxy. Lots of blacklights and a flourescent white ball. Oh the humanity!

20171213_121210 (resized).jpg20171213_121210 (resized).jpg

20171213_121300 (resized).jpg20171213_121300 (resized).jpg

#980 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I can't tell the hyperbole from the sarcasm from the stupidity.

Hyperbole = when someone says colored GI looks almost good in some cases
    Sarcasm = when someone says colored GI looks good
    Stupidity = when someone says colored GI doesn't look bad

There ya go.

#981 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Since its christmas time here's my leg out the door to the "Bumpus hounds." Check out my awesome Galaxy. Lots of blacklights and a flourescent white ball. Oh the humanity!

This looks absolutely stupid. Ridiculous that you would even accept that in your home.

#982 6 years ago

Uff I hope that Galaxy has a terrible PF and the shit LED job is just to hide it

#983 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Just for the record, I said it way back Post #793...

Quoted from Colsond3:

LMFAO. Doing the inserts in random colors doesn't make sense, I often try to match the inserts with color so they are task related, and easily discernible by people that don't necessarily know the rule set.
    The problem is a lot of games have dark playfields, so unless you add a ton of spots, the artwork doesn't really pop regardless. Adding certain colored LEDs just drowns it out more.

#984 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

I have never seen an LED job affect the price of a game whether up or down. If someone is selling a game and they spent time and money on LED's they usually make sure to mention that as a feature in the listing though. If someone tried to talk me below market value on a game because of my LED job I would politely show them the door.

then you havn't been watching very closely.

#985 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Ridiculous that you would even accept that in your home.

Hey you haven't seen his home; maybe it's a complete shithole?

#986 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey you haven't seen his home; maybe it's a complete shithole?

lol.

#987 6 years ago

I played two games of BSD with Barry Oursler at Pintastic. It was awesome. I remember he commented on the Black Hole next to us, and said he thought it looked excellent. I showed him a pic of my old one and he said that looked great as well. He really liked my blue LED Boston Pinball displays.

What does he know though, right?

IMG_1144 (resized).JPGIMG_1144 (resized).JPG

IMG_1145 (resized).JPGIMG_1145 (resized).JPG

IMG_4116 (resized).JPGIMG_4116 (resized).JPG

IMG_4117 (resized).JPGIMG_4117 (resized).JPG

#988 6 years ago

Barry was being polite.

#989 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I played two games of BSD with Barry Oursler at Pintastic. It was awesome. I remember he commented on the Black Hole next to us, and said he thought it looked excellent. I showed him a pic of my old one and he said that looked great as well. He really liked my blue LED Boston Pinball displays.

He was probably just being nice. What is he going to say? That it looks like shit?

This thread is a catalog of logic fallacies.

Your post is an "argument from authority", a common fallacy.

I'm going to say this once again:

There are two VALID opinions to have on this topic:

A. The clown puke games look great.

B. The clown puke games look like shit.

Since A and B are both subjective opinions, depending entirely on personal taste, it is virtually impossible for either opinion to be wrong.

There is no point in arguing about it.

This thread is a club for people who pick Option B. It's full of pictures of clown puked games that look like shit.

Sorry bout dat

#990 6 years ago

Don’t listen to them Colson, that Blackhole looks great. It captures the space theme right. The BSD needs a little blue or purple to make it look more gothic.
    Mine:

A86DD3BD-D53F-40CD-8147-5B29C67EBF38 (resized).jpegA86DD3BD-D53F-40CD-8147-5B29C67EBF38 (resized).jpeg

#991 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

She's wrong! They're parachute pants..velcro waist band and all! They were the shiiit! Hammer had his own custom pants designed fir dancin'

"Parachute pants are a style of trousers characterized by the use of nylon, especially ripstop nylon. In the original tight-fitting extraneously zippered style of the late 1970s/early 1980s, parachute referred to the pants' synthetic nylon material. They are typically worn as menswear."

No parachute material, no parachute pants.

Boom

headshot

back and to the left

back and to the left

#992 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Don’t listen to them Colson, that Blackhole looks great. It captures the space theme right. The BSD needs a little blue or purple to make it look more gothic.
    Mine:

snicker

#993 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I'm going to say this once again:

No shit...

#994 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

"Parachute pants are a style of trousers characterized by the use of nylon, especially ripstop nylon. In the original tight-fitting extraneously zippered style of the late 1970s/early 1980s, parachute referred to the pants' synthetic nylon material. They are typically worn as menswear."
    No parachute material, no parachute pants.

Was this your wife or you just googled?

#995 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Quoted from kvan99:

Mine:

BSD's such a cool game! I wish I had one...

#996 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Was this your wife or you just googled?

Actually, both.

She said, "Those aren't parachute pants, they have to be made of parachute material. Those are hammer pants."

So I checked on google as well.

Are you still cackling with laughter or has it finally died down?

#997 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I am personally hurt at color shitfest games.......................hurts my eyes. As an artist, I do not like seeing artwork desecrated by pisspoor lighting. Also amazes me, how people do this on games they are trying to sell, and do not understand why their game isn't selling when it looks like that. Some people are unteachable. Never learn. If the game doesn't "Show" well, it's not going to sell. Again. It's like selling a house. If you paint it with anything but white bland neutral earth tones. Your buyers market drops about 70%-80%.

You may have hurt feelings, but don't take it personal. My Atlantis with a few areas of color GI was perfectly playable and the buyer had no problem with it. I probably could have improved the translite look by using dividers and other techniques. On Maverick, I just felt there were too many flesh tones so I just went all warm white. The same for my red/blue GI Pinbot which sold in less than a week.

Most of my games are incandescent right now, by choice. Taxi has some blue LEDs in the upper lane, big deal! It doesn't destroy artwork and the people playing love it; Color GI doesn't destroy artwork, it can look good if used sparingly. Many games with color GI play well and look fine in person. Some are disasters, no argument there....but not all.

#998 6 years ago

I led my pins just like I led my house...…
    That's my neighbors house. Mine is the one on the left with no lights. Shits to expensive to replace something that isn't broken.

IMG_4701 (resized).JPGIMG_4701 (resized).JPG

#999 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

He was probably just being nice. What is he going to say? That it looks like shit?

Have you met Barry? If he thought it looked like shit, he would say it looked like shit. I know what the purpose of the thread is, and I'm not one of these clown puke advocates you keep referencing. Bout dat!! (Whatever the hell that improper English means)

Quoted from kvan99:

Mine:

My BSD has a little touch of blue...and the beloved speaker lights everyone is raving...I mean ranting about. LOL. And nooooo! That's not lighted flipper buttons is it? Rip away fellas!!!

IMG_0911 (resized).JPGIMG_0911 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1683 (resized).JPGIMG_1683 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1158 (resized).JPGIMG_1158 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1684 (resized).JPGIMG_1684 (resized).JPG

#1000 6 years ago

Some of you guys should learn to meditate. It's great for your blood pressure. This turned from a harmless fun thread into something else. Lighten up. This is supposed to be a fun hobby.

There are 8,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.