(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_market_175921_1 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831025059 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831007017 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_175932 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0286 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_174801_31 (resized).jpg
    432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg
    There are 8,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 166.
    #901 6 years ago

I'm an audio career professional and there is definitely science behind recording and live sound. I can apply the best science behind setting up the audio system, but I still might think the performer sounds like crap. That's my opinion. I may think that a band like Mushroomhead sucks, but they have a fan base that likes it.

#902 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Let's not forget Parachute pants!

My wife is reading this thread.

She noted that those are hammer pants, not parachute pants.

#903 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

There is no science behind it. It's just a plank of wood with a steel ball. Shine enough light and mole could see that ball. The rest is just preference and hot air.

What this guy said.

I hate to contradict my fellow puke-haters, but this talk of lighting science and sound engineering is irrelevant to this thread.

This is a thread about people who put really bright LEDs and multicolored LEDs into their games and make the game look like ass.

There is no point in getting so philosophical about it.

The games have original artwork. That artwork can be drowned out with purple LED light.

Some people find it good, some find it bad.

There's no need to complicate it beyond that.

#904 6 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

Sweet looking IM just popped up for sale on my local classifieds this morning

There is no way that's an actual untouched photo. The photo has been saturated and darkened. Actually quite a few of the pics in this thread have been manipulated to look even sillier. That F-14 translite is another one. Are they bad, heck yeah but they are not super saturated like the photos claim they are.

7b19b878c498aab3a4dae2d84b4352b74b449d30 (resized).jpg7b19b878c498aab3a4dae2d84b4352b74b449d30 (resized).jpg

#905 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The issue myself an other have is the everyone throwing everyone together in the your a clown puker club. The people ranting its scientific fact, and you are wrong if you put a color LED in GI. If you use color you have a low IQ. People climbing on their platform trying to wave thier dick around that they are an expert. I red, blued up a pinbot because the playfield was pretty shit and it helped hide some flaws. You can use color LEDs if you like it and its ok. You guys can have you laughs but its not humor when you just talking shit about people and trying to be superior.

So your admit you rainbow puked the game to hide it's flaws. How exactly did that happen, easy, the colored lighting made the game harder to see. It didn't make the game look better, it made it harder to see.

#906 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

your example is flawed. If you are hanging drywall, your expertise is in hanging drywall. Not lighting the room. Just like I use a compressor everyday for spraying clearcoat. Doesn't mean i'm an expert in repairing my compressor.

every piece of your logic is flawed. You should stop emberassing yourself with the scientific talk!

#907 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

She noted that those are hammer pants, not parachute pants.

She's wrong! They're parachute pants..velcro waist band and all! They were the shiiit! Hammer had his own custom pants designed fir dancin'

#908 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

There is no way that's an actual untouched photo. The photo has been saturated and darkened. Actually quite a few of the pics in this thread have been manipulated to look even sillier. That F-14 translite is another one. Are they bad, heck yeah but they are not super saturated like the photos claim they are.

you act like we have never had to deal with this stuff in real life. Most of us have had to try and play in games that look like that. We have been there. We know how it is and how difficult it is to play in a real setting. Pictures enhance the color glow range a lot, but we all can picture how awful it would be to have to play these games.

#909 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

now you're putting your wife to read this thread?

Could you please ask her how is it to be married with such a grumpy person?

Now, I got an idea!!! Since you're the person with the highest IQ here, and also the most honorable member of the rainbow-puke police, why don't YOU man-up and post pics of your machines to show the world how's it supposed to be done?

Oh, is it because you have no pins at all?

#910 6 years ago

Sold for $5500 on EBay

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#911 6 years ago

Pinstadium purple

2cac6dd322b648e914b4d77416c13c5c503c75eb (resized).jpg2cac6dd322b648e914b4d77416c13c5c503c75eb (resized).jpg

#912 6 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#913 6 years ago

Lighting up the speakers may be one of the dumbest mods available. Do not understand what the point is. Do we light up other speakers, like our surround sound speakers, car speakers, home stereo speakers? No. So why do it on a pin when it's only going to cause glare on the playfield glass? Plus it looks really tacky, like REALLY tacky.

When I see lit speakers on a game, I imagine the owner also has a Honda Civic ricer all pimped out from a Pep Boys store.

#914 6 years ago

Wow, this thread is becoming less about clown pukers and more about bitching and complaining. I'm a unemployed pothead who owns and plays pinball machines. So I guess I'm a expert in the following.
    Bic lighters. Don't flick it with the left hand, always the right. If you don't, you're doing it wrong and you're a moron.
    Daytime tv. Yes it sucks. If you watch it, you're a moron and doing it wrong.
    Afternoon naps. They rule! If you don't take them, you should start.
    Daytime drinking. It rules! Bombed by 5pm, sleeping by 8pm. Always get a good night's rest!

Oh I can't stand slow drivers in the fast lane, man buns, socks and sandals, stems in my baggie.
    I like toppers and powder coating and realize my past mistakes with led lighting.

Found this when going thru my gallery. Was experimenting with cyan. haha, epic FAIL!

20170318_204156.jpg20170318_204156.jpg

#915 6 years ago

I don’t think color puked ends with color. I’ve walked away from machines at shows with cheap white flickering G.I. too. It’s partially about look, but mostly about playability.

Go to a show and watch the reactions of people around an over colored or badly lit game. What you might think looks good in your home is magnified in a comparative environment. Then, watch people start a game, and see how many walk away without finishing the game.

#916 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

every piece of your logic is flawed. You should stop emberassing yourself with the scientific talk!

I love it when someone tells someone else to stop "emberassing" themselves by misspelling embarrassing.

And you didn't capitalize the first letter of your sentence. So that is LED police, spelling police and grammar police. Three strikes and you're out.

#917 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Do we light up other speakers, like our surround sound speakers, car speakers, home stereo speakers? No.

Yes. Unless you've been living in a cave, there are all kinds of lighted speakers out there now: cars, boom boxes, home theater audio, you name it.

3559885128_a34efc2d74 (resized).jpg3559885128_a34efc2d74 (resized).jpg
    e496ff240ddeb60b5317c37ae5dc265f (resized).jpge496ff240ddeb60b5317c37ae5dc265f (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#918 6 years ago

And don't forget to LED up your boards inside the game, and your coinbox, your pinball legs and your computer cases - to make them really pop.

LED-RGB-computer-case-12V-lights-of-the-main-light-pollution-DIY-lights-with-red-Blue (resized).jpgLED-RGB-computer-case-12V-lights-of-the-main-light-pollution-DIY-lights-with-red-Blue (resized).jpg

1fbd0986c64003eb7874ec420f3131f34c92ae93 (resized).jpg1fbd0986c64003eb7874ec420f3131f34c92ae93 (resized).jpg

#919 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

That picture is taken directly from a local online ad. It looks exactly like that in the ad. So it wasn't doctored unless you're saying the person selling the game doctored the photo to make it look worse than it is.

#920 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

And don't forget to LED up your boards inside the game, and your coinbox, your pinball legs and your computer cases - to make them really pop.

The legs are a bit over the top...

#921 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

setthebar (resized).pngsetthebar (resized).png

#922 6 years ago

Legs are really bad....oh and they're based on the "leg protectors" that actually damage your csb

#923 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Yes. Unless you've been living in a cave, there are all kinds of lighted speakers out there now: cars, boom boxes, home theater audio, you name it.

And those examples look like shit and are marketed towards people who drive ricers.

#924 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

untitled (resized).JPGuntitled (resized).JPG

#925 6 years ago

#926 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

And those examples look like shit and are marketed towards people who drive ricers.

And those people driving the ricers have money to spend on ricers, lighted speakers and more.

#927 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

And those people driving the ricers have money to spend on ricers, lighted speakers and more.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Pinball people have money to buy all these gay toppers and lights, but doesn't mean they should.

#928 6 years ago

Those lighted speakers look like no-class garbage. So do those lighted leg "protectors."

Why is this thread filling up with idiots defending the clown puke? It's not a thread for that. It's a club thread. Every post arguing against the main topic is off-topic and all it does is derail the thread.

#929 6 years ago

Because its a hater thread that attacks people vicariously through their pinball machines.

#930 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Why is this thread filling up with idiots defending the clown puke? It's not a thread for that. It's a club thread. Every post arguing against the main topic is off-topic and all it does is derail the thread.

Agree... I think you or irobot should complain with the moderators.

#931 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Because its a hater thread that attacks people vicariously through their pinball machines.

I don't think that's a thing is it?

#932 6 years ago

You mean like reverse racism? Pretty sure its real. All the attacks against rainbow colors sounds homophobic.

#933 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Pinball people have money to buy all these gay toppers and lights, but doesn't mean they should.

The point was that you seemed "surprised" that there are light up speakers for everything with the statement: "Do we light up other speakers, like our surround sound speakers, car speakers, home stereo speakers?"

Maybe you don't light up your speakers, but there are folks that do. There is a significant market that buy all these different mod and lights and that's why you'll continue to see them. Hell, I don't like them either, I have incandescent in most of my games, especially in the backboxes - because I think that is the way it should look. LEDs in the backbox, not me. I don't care if they are warm white, cool white or whatever. To me, all LEDs look like ass behind the backglass.

#934 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Legs are really bad....oh and they're based on the "leg protectors" that actually damage your csb

that is true. Those plastic pieces of shit which claim to be "protectors". actually dig into your cabinet beyond the leg area, which makes the damage even worse, because it cannot be covered up by the leg anymore. They dig in just like legs do. If you give a crap about your cabinet at all, you will not put those plastic pieces of shit on your game.

If you want to save your game. Use the metal stern style that go under the leg and raise it beyond the surface so it can't dig in. Pinball life has those. I put them on every game I have that I give a shit about the cabinet on.

#935 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

All the attacks against rainbow colors sounds homophobic.

Not attacking "rainbow", attacking "color bombing"

#936 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

So your admit you rainbow puked the game to hide it's flaws. How exactly did that happen, easy, the colored lighting made the game harder to see. It didn't make the game look better, it made it harder to see.

No that is not what happened at all. In the standard areas that wear in a pinbot, mainly the pops and the lane to the socket. The paint was starting to wear and speckles of wood show through. By placing a red LED near that spot it lit the wood red to match the paint. I also used some blue to light some wear to match the blue paint. The game was very well lit and visible. I lit the ramp and the trough with white, I also put spotlights on it. I like to play in the dark. Red/Blue is a common theme on Pinbot and I wanted to try it out. I also had cool white LEDs for all the GI and alternated between them to mix things up. When I sold the pin I put the white in and the buyer was super stoked get the red/blue with it. It's not that big a deal and using a colored LED here and there does not clown puke up a game. I basically used a couple of colored LEDs to touch up the playfield.

#937 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

You mean like reverse racism? .

No, like using the term vicariously like you did. I don't think you can vicariously do something through an inanimate object can you?

#938 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Lighting up the speakers may be one of the dumbest mods available.

Dumber than coloring your sparky with sharpie markers or glueing children's craft beads to your MET playfield!?

#939 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Pinstadium purple

Here is the before pinstadium pic for that STTNG above. If the owner had done a better or proper job of lighting up his game with incandescent or warm/natural white leds he wouldn't need pinstadium lights.

STTNG before (resized).jpgSTTNG before (resized).jpg

#940 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Dumber than coloring your sparky with sharpie markers or glueing children's craft beads to your MET playfield!?

Fair point... Glue dolls way worse

#941 6 years ago

Now that I'm becoming more puke sensitive (yes, I've puked in the past and still have accent puke in places), would you consider Stern Star Treks to be inherently pukey given the color changing inserts particularly in attract mode? Or the fancier ones with color changing GI?

#942 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vader77:

Now that I'm becoming more puke sensitive (yes, I've puked in the past and still have accent puke in places)...

Hey a lot of us have been there. When LEDs first came out it was exciting and plenty of us over did everything. As I've always said I still have a TZ that looks like a french whore; although I've been taking shit off finally.

Quoted from Vader77:

would you consider Stern Star Treks to be inherently pukey given the color changing inserts particularly in attract mode? Or the fancier ones with color changing GI?

They aren't pukey because they were designed that way, and only work in colors for certain(t) modes.
    Attract mode is just what it claims; bright, flashy, eye catching light used to attract moths.

So if "clown-pukers" is too offensive these people can now be called "Moths."

#943 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No, like using the term vicariously like you did. I don't think you can vicariously do something through an inanimate object can you?

Hmm, your point is well taken. Still people put a lot of love into their machines. Some would consider them their "baby." So when they get attacked it becomes personal and I think the use of vicarious is appropriate. Whether its correct or not I don't know.

#944 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So if "clown-pukers" is too offensive these people can now be called "Moths."

Colormoth (resized).pngColormoth (resized).png

#945 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Still people put a lot of love into their machines. Some would consider them their "baby."

Agreed. And we're trying to explain to them the color puking is like dressing their beautiful baby up like a filthy whore and posting pictures of them online.

You are not what you own. People that get that upset because people don't like the look of their game, or their game overall, or the music they like are all equally silly.

#946 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Yup, dumber than that. But NOT as dumb looking as your Cabaret Sparky doll. Jesus Christ, so gay looking.

And glowing green in the slings?

#947 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Agreed. And we're trying to explain to them the color puking is like dressing their beautiful baby up like a filthy whore and posting pictures of them online.

I think you mean putting lipstick on a pig

#948 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

now you're putting your wife to read this thread?
    Could you please ask her how is it to be married with such a grumpy person?
    Now, I got an idea!!! Since you're the person with the highest IQ here, and also the most honorable member of the rainbow-puke police, why don't YOU man-up and post pics of your machines to show the world how's it supposed to be done?
    Oh, is it because you have no pins at all?

Thanks for proving my observation that the clown puke posse cannot construct a valid argument.

You post is a combination of ad-hominem and straw man.

Kudos!

#949 6 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

I think you mean putting lipstick on a pig

Haha hey no one brought 90s gottliebs into this

The sad thing is most the games look great before..."the transition"

#950 6 years ago

Why are people expressing hurt and pain over my opinion of their tacky color bombed day-glo-tastic game?

(BTW- Hurt feelings are a valid form of argument at Oberlin College. Elsewhere, hurt feelings count for nothing.)

Why did they come to a clown puke thread in the first place if their feelings are so delicate?

Why are they complainign about people hating clown puke in a thread devoted to hating clown puke?

Why is everyone bickering over unrelated topics and semantics?

This is very simple.

A guy put all red LEDs in his atlantis translite.

The puke fans think it's awesome and it "pops".

I think it looks horrible.

The end.

There are 8,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/19?hl=dee-bow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.