(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,254 posts
  • 454 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Jason43
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_175932 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0286 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_174801_31 (resized).jpg
    432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240325_221629653 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8096331_0 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 8,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 166.
    #751 6 years ago

led14 (resized).jpgled14 (resized).jpg

led15 (resized).jpgled15 (resized).jpg

#752 6 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Does that game not have lighted slings?

It does and they are lit with white LEDs. Like I said, this game is very dark and not just from lack of lighting. The plastics are very dark purple and black and do not allow much light thru. The playfield is dark purple and I actually thought it was black before installing the lights. For some reason Gottlieb went with a night game baseball theme - like a night game is something special? Artwork would've been way better with a brighter more colorful daytime game theme.

#753 6 years ago

led12 (resized).jpgled12 (resized).jpg

led13 (resized).jpgled13 (resized).jpg

#754 6 years ago

Man, here's the deal with the colored LEDs in GI. They look bad. Objectively, they're bad. If you like them, your opinion is wrong. You are wrong in the way that a child's scribble is objectively worse than the Mona Lisa from an artistic perspective. You might like the scribble more, but it doesn't mean that anybody else needs to validate that opinion...because it's objectively wrong.

#755 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Well, the buyer market for people with good taste may be reduced, but there is still a market for the folks that like colorbombed GI. Personally, I dabbled in it a little but those games are now gone - sucessfully sold or traded I might add.
    Of course, we can't really be certain if some of the buyers of these games didn't rip the colors out right after they bought the games, but these pins are getting marketed to folks who like that stuff. My personal example is I sold my Pinbot with color GI. I certainly wouldn't reduce the price if you came to me and said I needed to because it had color LEDs. If I say the games worth X - it's worth that and what I will take for it...whether it has color LEDs, white LEDs, incandescent bulbs...or even no bulbs just empty sockets.
    Recently sold on EBay:

the ones who know better, greatly outweigh the ones that don't. Usually the newbs are the ones that think this shit looks good. Those of us that been around know better. The learning curve on LED lighting takes awhile sometimes, but eventually you learn. The ones who will never learn are the ones that surround themselves with people refuse to tell them it looks terrible.

#756 6 years ago

On this subject, try to imagine 3 years of email battles, where I was asked, "Whats Best", I give my opinion which if disagrees,
    turns into an email battle. So, I explained in all in Pics, and diagrams, and sent links....Those that like all this color, whether
    they read or not still disagreed.
    I had to give up sharing my opinion, as Id need to do it 3-4 times a day, with different people, resulting in 6-12 emails a day per person.

Literally 2 hours a day, every day, going over this!!

Exhausting, insulting and brutal on a person.

If you like all this color...good for you.
    If you dont, this thread helps share why.

Dark in the back? Try Op max, or a Strip. $10-$15
    Want to frame your game in white light that works off of GI, $10.

Adding more color doesnt help.

#757 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

. You are wrong in the way that a child's scribble is objectively worse than the Mona Lisa from an artistic perspective.

No, sir you are wrong. Cy Twombly blackboard covered in scribbles sold for $70.5 million.

cy-twombly-untitled-new-york-city (resized).jpgcy-twombly-untitled-new-york-city (resized).jpg

#758 6 years ago

Saw this on Facebook, someone was having a laugh!

Screenshot_20171208-182455 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20171208-182455 (resized).jpg

#759 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

No, sir you are wrong. Cy Twombly blackboard covered in scribbles sold for $70.5 million.

And you can hot glue this to your JP. While it is cool, it isn't pretty.

p (resized).jpgp (resized).jpg

#760 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

DIY "Pinstadium" lighting that I made yesterday for Big Hurt. This game is so damn dark

I mean, next to the tanning bed that is your Mustang, even the sun would look dark.

Just as bad as color LEDs is blowing out everything with super brights.

#761 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I mean, next to the tanning bed that is your Mustang, even the sun would look dark.
    Just as bad as color LEDs is blowing out everything with super brights.

Yeah that's not the setting I normally keep it at. That pic is 100% and whiteness 100%. I was in the middle of changing settings and had reset it back to 100% when the pics were taken. I find that 50% bright and 50% white with a little towards yellow looks nice in Mustang. Brightens the game evenly and warmly.

Plus we all know that photos do blow exaggerate brightness because it sure doesn't look like that with human eyes.

#762 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I have been following this Thread and agree many of the examples look blown out.
    Some of them look great (that received scrutiny). I see what everybody is trying to say, blown out neighborhoods of the same color led look disco.
    To someone they looked rad and worth doing. Don't take the happiness away, OK?.

To anyone whose feelings have been hurty-hurt by my comments on clown puke, here is my reply:
    You have horrible taste and now you have revealed yourself to be a giant wuss on top of it.
    Suck some oxygen into your head and get over it.
    Why is everyone so proud of having hurt feelings nowadays?
    It's not psychologically healthy.
    So -
    Why is clown puke bad?
    Doesn't everyone have the right to their own artistic taste?
    Here's the answer:
    The original artist painted the translight for Twilight Zone so that it looked cool and attracted customers. It was an homage to an awesome TV show.
    He could have drawn it with big random purple and red and green and blue blobs of color all over it, but he didn't.
    He didn't because it would make NO SENSE AT ALL.
    Why would he draw Rod Serling with a glowing orange face and random blobs of color all over the picture?
    It would simply make no sense.
    So when you go and put LEDs in the translight so there are random red, green, blue and purple blobs of color all over it, it's stupid and it looks like ass.
    It simply looks like a random mess of color applied to the picture for no reason.
    WHY WOULD YOU EXPECT PRAISE FOR THAT?
    The worst part is that the colored lights wash out the original game colors, so in addition to having totally random color blobs, you can't even see the original artwork.
    This clown puke phenomenon truly looks like the work of little kids.
    If I came to your house and spray painted day-glo paint blobs all over your wall art, would you say "WOW, WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! THANKS!"
    As far as the bright lights go, i'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the optimal lighting level does not involve your eyes hurting and getting a head ache. Call me nutty, but that's my take on it. I'm wacky that way I tells ya.
    On a side note -
    Next time you have a hamburger, just put a couple of teaspoons of catsup on it. Don't get a 55 gallon drum of catsup and put it on your roof and make a giant catsup bong out of it that forces catsup into your stomach and lungs at 100 psi.
    Even though MORE COLOR AND MORE BRIGHTNESS IS ALWAYS ALWAYS BETTER in pinball, that learned and subtle philosophy doesn't apply to catsup.

#763 6 years ago
    Quoted from Archytas:

Saw this on Facebook, someone was having a laugh!

That looks PERFECT

MORE color and MORE brightness mean MORE pinball goodness.

It's all about MORE

#764 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

That looks PERFECT
    MORE color and MORE brightness mean MORE pinball goodness.
    It's all about MORE

Please join

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-thought-pinstadium-lights-were-good-get-a-look-at-our-setup#post-4113956

#765 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

To anyone whose feelings have been hurty-hurt by my comments on clown puke, here is my reply:
    You have horrible taste and now you have revealed yourself to be a giant wuss on top of it.
    Suck some oxygen into your head and get over it.
    Why is everyone so proud of having hurt feelings nowadays?
    It's not psychologically healthy.
    So -
    Why is clown puke bad?
    Doesn't everyone have the right to their own artistic taste?
    Here's the answer:
    The original artist painted the translight for Twilight Zone so that it looked cool and attracted customers. It was an homage to an awesome TV show.
    He could have drawn it with big random purple and red and green and blue blobs of color all over it, but he didn't.
    He didn't because it would make NO SENSE AT ALL.
    Why would he draw Rod Serling with a glowing orange face and random blobs of color all over the picture?
    It would simply make no sense.
    So when you go and put LEDs in the translight so there are random red, green, blue and purple blobs of color all over it, it's stupid and it looks like ass.
    It simply looks like a random mess of color applied to the picture for no reason.
    WHY WOULD YOU EXPECT PRAISE FOR THAT?
    The worst part is that the colored lights wash out the original game colors, so in addition to having totally random color blobs, you can't even see the original artwork.
    This clown puke phenomenon truly looks like the work of little kids.
    If I came to your house and spray painted day-glo paint blobs all over your wall art, would you say "WOW, WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! THANKS!"
    As far as the bright lights go, i'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the optimal lighting level does not involve your eyes hurting and getting a head ache. Call me nutty, but that's my take on it. I'm wacky that way I tells ya.
    On a side note -
    Next time you have a hamburger, just put a couple of teaspoons of catsup on it. Don't get a 55 gallon drum of catsup and put it on your roof and make a giant catsup bong out of it that forces catsup into your stomach and lungs at 100 psi.
    Even though MORE COLOR AND MORE BRIGHTNESS IS ALWAYS ALWAYS BETTER in pinball, that learned and subtle philosophy doesn't apply to catsup.

Hmmm..I wonder if GFYS is a sufficient answer.

dumb-meme_o_791417 (resized).jpgdumb-meme_o_791417 (resized).jpg

#766 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

And you can hot glue this to your JP. While it is cool, it isn't pretty.

It doesn't matter if it is pretty or not. If scribbles on a chalkboard, or glueing dung to your game, or stuffing it with colored LEDs brings out the cash, people are going to do them. People sell Cheetos on eBay that look like the Virgin Mary. Your not going to educate nor beat it out of people that choose to put colored LEDs, ridiculous toppers, ugly toys, or blazing LED strips on their games. You are simply not going to accomplish anything.
    THEY. DON'T. CARE.

#767 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Hmmm..I wonder if GFYS is a sufficient answer.

You can't say GFYS unless you post up pictures of your clown puked games.

Own that sh-t! (literally)

Here I fixed your meme for you.

Now it POPS

be8456f57e92f45a3c5f260c12c51603a7e5eff4 (resized).jpgbe8456f57e92f45a3c5f260c12c51603a7e5eff4 (resized).jpg

#768 6 years ago

I will own it as soon you step back from your sockpuppet profile.

#769 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

It doesn't matter if it is pretty or not. If scribbles on a chalkboard, or glueing dung to your game, or stuffing it with colored LEDs brings out the cash, people are going to do them. People sell Cheetos on eBay that look like the Virgin Mary. Your not going to educate nor beat it out of people that choose to put colored LEDs, ridiculous toppers, ugly toys, or blazing LED strips on their games. You are simply not going to accomplish anything.
    THEY. DON'T. CARE.

That's not necessarily true.

This clown puke thing is just a random fashion phenomenon, like wearing a leisure suit. People don't have any emotional investment in it.

LEDs are a new thing on the pinball scene, so right now people are all slappy happy over LEDs and going way overboard.

But fashions change.

Clown puking a game is a random act, there is no underlying goal except to make the game MORE bright and MORE colorful.

That is literally an artistic goal of a 3 year old.

The same people who are puking their games now will jump on the zero-puke-tolerance bandwagon when the puke-festival runs its course and everyone gets bored with it.

#770 6 years ago

IP check anyone? Forceflow.....where are you?

#771 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

On this subject, try to imagine 3 years of email battles, where I was asked, "Whats Best", I give my opinion which if disagrees,
    turns into an email battle. So, I explained in all in Pics, and diagrams, and sent links....Those that like all this color, whether
    they read or not still disagreed.
    I had to give up sharing my opinion, as Id need to do it 3-4 times a day, with different people, resulting in 6-12 emails a day per person.
    Literally 2 hours a day, every day, going over this!!
    Exhausting, insulting and brutal on a person.
    If you like all this color...good for you.
    If you dont, this thread helps share why.
    Dark in the back? Try Op max, or a Strip. $10-$15
    Want to frame your game in white light that works off of GI, $10.
    Adding more color doesnt help.

I can only imagine. You were a big help getting me started with putting leds in my first game several years ago. It was overwhelming getting started with all the bulb choices, lenses, colors, etc. I also learned a lot from experimenting. No harm trying things just to see if it looks good. You can always swap bulbs if it looks bad.

#772 6 years ago

Personally, I love LED color changing speaker kits.

#773 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I just disconnected that on a TWD. Glare city.

#774 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I didn't think you've ever met any LEDs you didn't like

#775 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Why not be a guy and post up some pics of your rainbow colored pins.

Win some of these hateful rapscallions over to your way of thinking.

Anyone can write stupid insults on the internet to an anonymous stranger, but a valid argument consist of facts that are processed with logic.

So here's a thread for all the LED fans to argue their case.

Go for it.

#776 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I will own it as soon you step back from your sockpuppet profile.

I don't want to do the internet purse swinging thing.

Do you by any chance realize that you are in a thread specifically devoted to hating clown puke?

My clown puke hating comments are actually appropriate in a clown puke hating thread.

Think you can handle that idea there killer?

#777 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I don't want to do the internet purse swinging thing.
    Do you by any chance realize that you are in a thread specifically devoted to hating clown puke?
    My clown puke hating comments are actually appropriate in a clown puke hating thread.
    Think you can handle that idea there killer?

No use fighting with a troll. He obviously has nothing better to do.

#778 6 years ago

I just want someone to tell me how adding a bunch of color to this would make it any better. The game already has plenty of color in its art and inserts. It's well balanced and it looks good as it was originally created.

TZleds (resized).jpgTZleds (resized).jpg

#779 6 years ago

I really don't want any hard feelings from this thread.

This thread is actually a public service.

it's better to hear an honest opinion than a polite opinion.

Someday when LEDs aren't the fabulous new thing anymore, and everyone sobers up, a lot of people are going to regret the money they spent on the clown puke kits.

So think long and hard before you lay down that $250.

Speaking of which, my CV game came with an under-game LED kit that was unbelievably horrible looking.

I took it off an gave it away.

The whole arcade would glow with random strobe colors. It was awful. It was like trying to read a book with someone turning the light switch on and off rapidly.

it looked kind of like this but the lights changed color really fast.

#780 6 years ago

Mitch...Mitch...Mitch. Come on let's turn that frown upside down. I know it's too cold for shorty shorts but a guy can wish though. Look! You made a new friend The Law!! Whoaaa. How boot that?

#781 6 years ago

Did you ever think Kvan that maybe you wouldn't burn through games so quick if they didn't look like shit?

I mean at least pick the colors yourself instead of buying kits.

#782 6 years ago

meh

#783 6 years ago

Ahh...The Law!! strikes again. He's a lonely crusader, roaming the forum wasteland, dispensing justice via the thumb buttons. He's a simple man, he likes mashed potatoes and SW. He's always there when you need him and he magically appears in in any thread about JM. He spreads the gospel of led truth and peppers the threads with "aboot" because he likes it and the Canadians don't. The Law!!! is coming for you!!!

#784 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I mean at least pick the colors yourself instead of buying kits.

NiftyLED's kits come with either warm or cool white. Colored GI isn't even an option.

#785 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

He's a simple man, he likes mashed potatoes and SW. He's always there when you need him and he magically appears in in any thread about JM. He spreads the gospel of led truth and peppers the threads with "aboot" because he likes it and the Canadians don't. The Law!!! is coming for you!!!

Hey, I do like Mashed potatoes & hate JM; can't argue with that.

#786 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I just want someone to tell me how adding a bunch of color to this would make it any better. The game already has plenty of color in its art and inserts. It's well balanced and it looks good as it was originally created.

Someone did add a bunch of blue LEDs to the white inserts. The rollovers, left ramp inserts and dead end were originally white.

I will go to bat for the Speaker Light Kits. I like them, but only under certain circumstances. DON'T have it cycle through random colors that don't relate to the game. Pick the color the best matches the game and stick with it. Gold on my LOTR with the rings acrylic looks really nice. Now change that gold to purple...or worse yet a never ending cycle of red, blue and green...it looks stupid. Same thing with my Wrestlemania. I have the WWE acrylic backlit with white to match the logo on the game...looks awesome like it was factory original. Once again, cycle red, blue and green and it looks straight up awful.

#787 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Someone did add a bunch of blue LEDs to the white inserts. The rollovers, left ramp inserts and dead end were originally white.

Hah, you're right.

#788 6 years ago

mashula (resized).jpgmashula (resized).jpg

#789 6 years ago

Later ladies, I have a hot attorney here that wants to privatley cross examine me.

#790 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Later ladies, I have a hot attorney here that wants to privatley cross examine me.

I hope she likes examining in blinding light.

#791 6 years ago

Examples like this are what I really don't understand. Why just take and change white inserts to colors with no relevance to the game or the mode just to make a game look like a circus? Let's see, put some pink here, purple here, some blue here. I guess it doesn't have bright green GI under the slings so that's something.

lotr (resized).JPGlotr (resized).JPG

#792 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Examples like this are what I really don't understand. Why just take and change white inserts to colors with no relevance to the game or the mode just to make a game look like a circus? Let's see, put some pink here, purple here, some blue here. I guess it doesn't have bright green GI under the slings so that's something.

To me, the Greens, Pinks, and Purples in the inserts are out of place with the color palette used in this game.

#793 6 years ago

LMFAO. Doing the inserts in random colors doesn't make sense, I often try to match the inserts with color so they are task related, and easily discernible by people that don't necessarily know the rule set.

The problem is a lot of games have dark playfields, so unless you add a ton of spots, the artwork doesn't really pop regardless. Adding certain colored LEDs just drowns it out more.

Some games look good with "some" color G.I. in my opinion, some games don't. Cool white is always good. I don't have any problem with accents. I think my Frankenstein looks pretty damn good, even with the splash of color.

IMG_2620 (resized).JPGIMG_2620 (resized).JPG

#794 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

To me, the Greens, Pinks, and Purples in the inserts are out of place with the color palette used in this game.

I couldn't agree more.

#795 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

LMFAO. Doing the inserts in random colors doesn't make sense, I often try to match the inserts with color so they are task related, and easily discernible by people that don't necessarily know the rule set.
    The problem is a lot of games have dark playfields, so unless you add a ton of spots, the artwork doesn't really pop regardless. Adding certain colored LEDs just drowns it out more.
    Some games look good with "some" color G.I. in my opinion, some games don't. Cool white is always good. I don't have any problem with accents. I think my Frankenstein looks pretty damn good, even with the splash of color.

Looks good and well placed spots.

#796 6 years ago

Here's two from my past. Star Wars and FrankENstein!

20141207_143232 (resized).jpg20141207_143232 (resized).jpg

20141207_143119 (resized).jpg20141207_143119 (resized).jpg

20150222_184247 (resized).jpg20150222_184247 (resized).jpg

20150222_184223 (resized).jpg20150222_184223 (resized).jpg

#797 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I like the speaker kits too, as long as you use the glare guards to block the glare. But the speaker kits are not illuminating any art. You can get away with any color there, due to no art being illuminated.

as for the two pictures above this. Too much blue. Needs to go and hurts my eyes even looking at the pictures. But I do like your little green mod on the butthole of the death star. Everything else is too much, too bright, and too much color in the back sections.

#798 6 years ago

I like to put LED's in EM's!

KIMG0634 (resized).JPGKIMG0634 (resized).JPG

KIMG0639 (resized).JPGKIMG0639 (resized).JPG

KIMG0638 (resized).JPGKIMG0638 (resized).JPG

#799 6 years ago

Y'all can skin me with him... that's kinda kinky sexy

#800 6 years ago

Pointy purple people

There are 8,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/16?hl=vader77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.