(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,256 posts
  • 454 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 hours ago by CelticKnot
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1713831025059 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831007017 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_175932 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0286 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_174801_31 (resized).jpg
    432604611_785706006391434_898862450737247211_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240325_221629653 (resized).jpg
    There are 8,256 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 166.
    #601 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

This crusade has spilled into bus roofs and historic art! Muahahaha. Strong work

Preposterous, Mono Lisa being compared to pinball playfields. Poor Leonardo. LMAO.

#602 6 years ago

8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg

#603 6 years ago

I own a Dirty Harry. And while it is not known for having great artwork, it never looked that bad.

And I did put LEDs in the GI. I had to since it was next to a Stern KISS at The Sanctum. The KISS was so bright it looked like Dirty Harry was turned off. So I put in Comet Frosted Warm white. Now the game is brighter, and looks nothing like that hot mess.

It was used in the Silverball tournament at Pintastic and the 24 Hour Battle at The Sanctum. So it was played by some of the best players in the world and not one of them said it needed more color blobs and visibility distortion. I'm sure that also helped while it was being streamed live. If they pointed the camera at the thing above I think we would lose viewers.

#604 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

This crusade has spilled into bus roofs and historic art! Muahahaha. Strong work

OK, Mr. Boring.

Make your sneering comment really POP

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#605 6 years ago

Look at those COLORS

They really...

#606 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Look at those COLORS
    They really...

Yes, they really POOP.

#607 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I own a Dirty Harry. And while it is not known for having great artwork

Are you serious, it's Dirty Harry, how would you portray him? As Adam with a fig leaf in Eden? DH's pf and cab art are pretty great for the theme (gameplay sucks but the art is cool). Also who cares how a bunch of tourny guys feel about your personal machine. It's your machine, you should like playing it.

#608 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Are you serious, it's Dirty Harry, how would you portray him?

The PF art is for sure polarizing...sort of a strange comic book pane thing going on there. Cab art is awesome.

#609 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

For sale thread.

I'm pretty sure this is the kit that Cointaker sells.

#610 6 years ago

All the complaining about the rainbow puke but what everyone fails to mention is at least half if not more then half are kits sold by the major LED suppliers. All of them sell these kits. You want to help stop this then complain to them. They need to make kits that are color matched inserts and white GI's. A lot of the noobs would rather just order the kit then take the time to figure out what they need.

#611 6 years ago

The kits do suck. I don't know why but for the life of me I can not count LEDs in advance. I always end up a couple short and have to make a second order. Also no one should sell an LED that ghosts. If they made a decent kit it would be very convenient.

#612 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The kits do suck. I don't know why but for the life of me I can not count LEDs in advance. I always end up a couple short and have to make a second order. Also no ghosting LEDs should be on the market. If they made a decent kit it would be very convenient.

Same here. I won't by a kit because it's a color bomb but I'm too lazy to count every thing I need. Usually and up with too little or too many. If they made kits that you could chose from I'd buy it even if it was more expensive. Kits should be:
    Color bomb GI for the noobs and blind.
    Warm white GI for the keep it original look.
    Cool white GI for the I like white but like it bright!

#613 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Same here. I won't by a kit because it's a color bomb but I'm too lazy to count every thing I need. Usually and up with too little or too many. If they made kits that you could chose from I'd buy it even if it was more expensive. Kits should be:

I don't think any of the kits from Cointaker color bomb the GI, and probably not from the other major pinball LED suppliers. It's the cheaper LED companies blasting the airwaves with color bomb kits IMO. I'm sure if you asked them Cointaker would sub warm or cool for the GI if you made communication before ordering

#614 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

...what everyone fails to mention is at least half if not more then half are kits sold by the major LED suppliers. All of them sell these kits.

Well we don't fail to mention it in this thread and have discussions on it. That's how we know not "all of them" do.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/11#post-4093260

Quoted from wayout440:

I don't think any of the kits from Cointaker color bomb the GI, and probably not from the other major pinball LED suppliers.

CT used to sprinkle some in though, no idea if they still do. The only kit I ever bought was years ago and it had color changing for a few inserts and a few color for GI.

#615 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I don't think any of the kits from Cointaker color bomb the GI, and probably not from the other major pinball LED suppliers. It's the cheaper LED companies blasting the airwaves with color bomb kits IMO. I'm sure if you asked them Cointaker would sub warm or cool for the GI if you made communication before ordering

You're wrong and so am I on the Cointaker. The rainbow puke POTC pictured in this thread is Comet kit. Cointaker doesn't show there kit but pretty sure it's the same.
    http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/kit-potc.htm

#616 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

You're wrong and so am I on the Cointaker.

Then add me to that list.....oh the shame of that POTC!!
    EDIT: The list is being wrong as Comet has shit the bed now also

#618 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Sounds like you should start off a new thread showing off the nice bright white GI look to show what a game should look like. I bet even with the best thread title, someone will come into the thread and color bomb it.

#619 6 years ago

Sorry Art, but it is true. I guess you should have built it into the contract while selling.

p (resized).jpgp (resized).jpg

#620 6 years ago

Please re-post all the messages you guys send to these companies telling them that they're idiots and ruining pinball for selling colored light bulbs!

#621 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Please re-post all the messages you guys send to these companies telling them that they're idiots and ruining pinball for selling colored light bulbs!

Against the rules they're all PMs.

#622 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

No

#623 6 years ago

My attempt at "improving" the Mona Lisa.

LED LISA (resized).jpgLED LISA (resized).jpg

#624 6 years ago

20171130_214423 (resized).jpg20171130_214423 (resized).jpg

#625 6 years ago

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

#626 6 years ago

Maybe it is reverse psychology. Is it possible they hope people who actually care about these games will pay to save them from a fate worse than darkness?

#627 6 years ago

How to use whites in GI.....Sunlight Fluted for a Star Burst Pattern, which works with the Art!
    (2 bulbs are frosted due to art and eye lineup, 1 is a 1 SMD Frosted)
    10 SMD Aluminum Flashers, color matched inserts, purple passion in center inserts.

Not a great Pic, but stunning in person.

Old habit...sorry to return to that..just feeling melancholy over the pics posted.....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#628 6 years ago

Thanks for posting, Art. LEDs perfectly done. I think we have to throw a proper photo in every now and then to clear our eyesight and allow our eyes to refocus properly.

#629 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

All the complaining about the rainbow puke but what everyone fails to mention is at least half if not more then half are kits sold by the major LED suppliers. All of them sell these kits. You want to help stop this then complain to them. They need to make kits that are color matched inserts and white GI's. A lot of the noobs would rather just order the kit then take the time to figure out what they need.

whoever made that kit is a dumbasshole and should not be allowed to make things for pinball ever again. Not only are the making unsuspecting pin owners, make their games look like total ass, but they are charging money to make it happen? Unbelievable. They should get double their money back for each of those shitstorm kits that have been sold. For the work involved having to take them back out, plus the mental ridicule they had to endure from their peers.

If you had anything to do with assembling those kits, you should be asshamed of yourself. (yes I know what it says)

#630 6 years ago

Doctor Who and Fastbreak look amazing with regular incandescent. The glow of the bulbs on the orange can’t be beat.

#631 6 years ago

17 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg

#632 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

You're making the mistake of thinking that all pinball owners are hardcore collectors who know a lot and think things over and read 15 page threads about clown puke.

In truth, 95% of the public knows basically nothing about anything.

Vendors can shovel any crappy thing at the public and the public will ASSUME that they are buying the proper thing.

The public is not being offered a choice between "clown puke kits" and "gentle enhancement kits" and then picking the clown puke by some rational decision making process.

The public is being offered clown-puke by the vendors and saying "Okay, I guess that's what you have for sale so I'll buy it".

#633 6 years ago

Looking at all these pictures, it's amazing to me that anyone can stand up in defense of the clown puke phenomenon.

We can fill 100 pages with bicker bullshit back and forth, but the proof of the pudding is in the tasting of it.

The clown puke look is horrible, the games look like ass. Some of them as so over-decorated with bulbs that you can barely tell what game they are.

#634 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

How to use whites in GI.....Sunlight Fluted for a Star Burst Pattern, which works with the Art!
    (2 bulbs are frosted due to art and eye lineup, 1 is a 1 SMD Frosted)
    10 SMD Aluminum Flashers, color matched inserts, purple passion in center inserts.
    Not a great Pic, but stunning in person.
    Old habit...sorry to return to that..just feeling melancholy over the pics posted.....

BOOOOOOO!

BORING!!

Look at mine compared to yours.

Mine really pops.

3e3eb1cf0ab836f8e6fa064375d4b6548d1f3f20.png (resized).jpg3e3eb1cf0ab836f8e6fa064375d4b6548d1f3f20.png (resized).jpg

#635 6 years ago

"It looks amazing!"

Dracula.jpgDracula.jpg

#636 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

"It looks amazing!"

WTF

#637 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

"It looks amazing!"

Looks like every BSD I’ve seen. That game is a favorite for the pukers.

#638 6 years ago

Pukers... that's a funny word. Can I use that?

#639 6 years ago

So I'm curious to see what the consensus is on my lost world. It's got the full led treatment, with warm whites in the gi and colors in the inserts and pop bumpers.

20170525_190042_HDR (resized).jpg20170525_190042_HDR (resized).jpg

#640 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

So I'm curious to see what the consensus is on my lost world.

The GI looks fine, not counting the pop bumpers. The rest is skittles-ville

#641 6 years ago

Agreed, still too rainbow but at least the GI is good.

#642 6 years ago

The little bit of the backglass we can see is starting to scare me.

#643 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

The little bit of the backglass we can see is starting to scare me.

I think that's just the pop reflection? I hope

#644 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

So I'm curious to see what the consensus is on my lost world. It's got the full led treatment, with warm whites in the gi and colors in the inserts and pop bumpers.

That's not terrible.

#645 6 years ago

Just when I thought I seen everything!!! At least it's not a color bomb. Yes it is what your thinking.

IMG_4661 (resized).JPGIMG_4661 (resized).JPG

#646 6 years ago

16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg

#647 6 years ago

doing colored LED's in inserts that have white or clear inserts isn't that big of a deal. Inserts really don't ruin artwork unless they are full color artwork inserts, like IJ has. but there isn't an overall destruction of artwork when you colorize inserts. That's the one spot colored LED's are suppose to go.

#648 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Just when I thought I seen everything!!! At least it's not a color bomb. Yes it is what your thinking.

Shouldn't pee if you can't see

#649 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

doing colored LED's in inserts that have white or clear inserts isn't that big of a deal. ... That's the one spot colored LED's are suppose to go.

Matching colored LEDs to washed out colored inserts (with the same color!) is the one spot were colored LEDs are supposed to go.

I love clean look of white inserts and think the common "using-purple-passion-for-white-inserts-approach" is just as bad as colored GI.

I've had pinball noobs looking at my Shadow and seriously asking me how I got the mode inserts to be white...as before they've only ever seen them in purple...

#650 6 years ago

but if someone customizes white inserts. It's not the end of the world. Like on my atlantis. there are a ton of white inserts. So I color matched things to help players identify things. Like all the number 1's are in red, and lock 1 is in red. So people know you have to hit all the 1's to light lock 1. all number 2 standups are green and lock 2 is green. And so on. Otherwise there was just too much white and made it harder for people to understand the layout and what's going on. Personally, I think williams was just using up all the white inserts bally had on hand so they could start fresh.

There are 8,256 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/13?hl=snes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.