(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,211 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Bryan_Kelly
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 170 votes
      56%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 42 votes
      14%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 92 votes
      30%

(304 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,040 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giphy (resized).png
    shitbusters (resized).jpg
    shit park (resized).jpg
    vandamme.gif
    744806EF-DFE7-4175-85A3-2F8EC324C6EB (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1573330701664 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573330699423 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191107-062419 (resized).png
    2019-led-neon-ba-sign-ip-66-led-digital-tube-led-dmx-tube-color-color-changing-led-tubes-colour-changing-led-tube-lights (resized).jpg
    48-T8-4-COLORED-Tube-Guard-Fluorescent-Plastic (resized).jpg
    ten2or (resized).png
    F973E105-579A-40FB-BDDC-188A2369F9C4 (resized).jpeg
    blouses.gif
    yT5yerJ.gif
    prince-symbol-elmas-polat-basoglu (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png

There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 85.
    #551 1 year ago

IMG_1343 (resized).JPGIMG_1344 (resized).JPG
    I caught a hard time 2 years ago when I did this. Same old argument from me, it doesn't look as gaudy in person. My favorite EM and haven't changed a light.
    That said its the only pin out of four that has any LEDs in it. I like the old style

#552 1 year ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

More pics!! Less petty bs!

Ask and you shall receive

572fb0553ec26b140665b730f65e700522508daa (resized).jpg

#553 1 year ago

Demo Man is a game I always think cannot possibly get uglier....but people do love to puke it.

#554 1 year ago

Ha...that DM looks good.

#555 1 year ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

More pics!! Less petty bs!

Irony

#556 1 year ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Ha...that DM looks good.

Wouldn't quite make your top 10 hits, but it's close.

EDIT: Oh....actually that is subtle for you. I'd say you're improving but that's an oldy.

#557 1 year ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

I generally don’t like coloured GI but when I bought my TWD Pro it had amber incandescents in the lower GI. I switched them back to white LEDs but missed the look it had. So I have since gone back to amber but with LEDs.

Actually don’t mind these amber led in TWD. I’m getting a TWD next week so I’ve been watching a bunch of videos. Was thinking there was too much cool white everywhere. Almost want to switch to incandescent.

#558 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Actually don’t mind these amber led in TWD. I’m getting a TWD next week so I’ve been watching a bunch of videos. Was thinking there was too much cool white everywhere. Almost want to switch to incandescent.

743pv7l (resized).jpg

#559 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

switch to Warm white then, it's a happy medium between the 2. I think you will be happy with the results. Especially with the brown pallet used on the game. the warm should have been used instead of cool.

#560 1 year ago

Another Facebook for sale ad.

Screenshot_20171128-080052 (resized).png

#561 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Another Facebook for sale ad.

Ouch. Not only ugly, but makes no sense either.

I admit, I did my LOTR with color (over s decade ago and using colored incandescent bulbs and bulb condoms). But at least I made it try to make sense. Green around the Hobbiton area, Red around Mordor and since the clear inserts did not look right I colored them by matching race (Hobbit, Human, Elf, Dwarf). Other than green over the POTD there is no real sense to this mess.

#562 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

switch to Warm white then, it's a happy medium between the 2. I think you will be happy with the results. Especially with the brown pallet used on the game. the warm should have been used instead of cool.

Good idea, thanks

#563 1 year ago

This is my submission. On the right is when I first got the machine, and the left is after I fixed it. The purple didn't look bad in person, just too dark.

20171104_192455-COLLAGE (resized).jpg

#564 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jive:

This is my submission. On the right is when I first got the machine, and the left is after I fixed it. The purple didn't look bad in person, just too dark.

See...there is artwork on that table.

#565 1 year ago

Let's just say some people enjoy learning things and expanding their knowledge base. Others hold fast to an idea and become, blind, deaf , and dumb to all other rational thought. Bottom line, like what you want, but don't dismiss something without looking at it from all sides. I agree, it's time to stop arguing about light and color, it's getting tedious. Bring on the pictures!

#566 1 year ago

This thread is so on point.

If someone used LEDs in a smart, artistic way, they could possibly ENHANCE the way a game looks. Make those tired old inserts look great, etc.

Instead we see games lit up so bright that it actually hurts your eyes to play them.

And the original artwork of the games is washed out in glowing blobs of laser green and barney purple.

95% of the games done up in LEDs look like total ass.

It doesn't even make any sense.

Do you have 500 watt bulbs in the lamps in your house? Have one of those hospital operating room light fixtures over your dining table to illuminate your dinner with 5 million candle power of light? Why not, it's awesome!

Did you buy cans of day-glo red, green, blue and purple paint and spray your Chevy like a rainbow? It's awesome!

Everything is better when it's ablaze with light and day-glo colors!

Darren-McFaddens-purple-donk-768x416 (resized).jpg

#567 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Well then, paraphrasing from Ronald Regan, we won't hold your youth and inexperience against you.
    Here is a link to and easy to understad website with lots of pictures for you -
    https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/47-colours-of-light
    See the section "Colour of objects" and undestand how this quote applies -
    "If only blue light is shone onto a red shirt, the shirt would appear black, because the blue would be absorbed and there would be no red light to be reflected."
    So, you see an object's color because it is able to reflect light of those wavelengths. So white light, lights many colors and shows you what is supposed to be there. Overpowering with limited light spectrums means objects of those colors outside of the spectrum of light are not illumitated. You are not "adding color" to them. You are washing them out and losing any detail by not illuminating them.

WHAT THIS GUY SAID

Shining purple light on something that's painted or dyed red, green, yellow, and blue does not ENHANCE it.

The purple light will wash out everything into a mix of purples and blacks. The white paint will look purple, the green paint will look black.

WHITE light makes painted or dyed colors "pop" the most because the white light actually contains all the colors of the rainbow.

The LED fanatics seem to understand that the yellow light of incandescent bulbs changes and dulls the look of painted surfaces, but somehow they fail to grasp how this same idea applies to laser purple GI lights.

This photo that another poster put up is a perfect example. The purple light doesn't overpower the playfield colors. The playfield colors literally disappear because there is no red, green, blue, etc wavelengths in the purple light for the painted surfaces to reflect.

37c1275c5ace83fb37d4cf9cf71d975009aa1b9c (resized).jpg

#568 1 year ago

Dear Clown Puke / Airport Runway Arc Light fans:

You are free to put hideous colored GI bulbs in your games and squint in eye pain as you play.

We are free to think your game looks like ass.

You are free to say that a clown puked game looks great and we're free to say that it looks awful.

Freedom, baby. Yeah!

The difference between the internet and real life is that in real life your friends are polite to you at all costs.

But on the internet, strangers are honest with you.

It stings a little but the honesty will do you more good in the long run than the politeness.

#569 1 year ago

You know what would be a good product?

If someone with artistic ability put together LED light sets that slightly enhanced the look of the original game.

The way to figure it out would be to start out by replacing all the incandescent bulbs with a warm white frosted bulb with identical brightness.

Then you would artfully swap out certain bulbs for cool white to enhance certain blues and greens.

Then you would swap out certain bulbs with slightly brighter bulbs to enhance dark areas as needed.

Then you would swap out certain insert bulbs with colored bulbs to enhance tired inserts.

At that point, you'd have a mix of LED bulbs that made the game look newer and better. Use the technology to artfully rejuvenate and improve the game.

Instead of making the game look like a nightmare you had after you ate sardines, chocolate ice cream, a taco bell burrito supreme, and a bottle of chambord.

#570 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

If someone with artistic ability put together LED light sets that slightly enhanced the look of the original game.
    The way to figure it out would be to start out by replacing all the incandescent bulbs with a warm white frosted bulb with identical brightness.
    Then you would artfully swap out certain bulbs for cool white to enhance certain blues and greens.
    Then you would swap out certain bulbs with slightly brighter bulbs to enhance dark areas as needed.
    Then you would swap out certain insert bulbs with colored bulbs to enhance tired inserts.
    At that point, you'd have a mix of LED bulbs that made the game look newer and better. Use the technology to artfully rejuvenate and improve the game.
    Instead of making the game look like a nightmare you had after you ate sardines, chocolate ice cream, a taco bell burrito supreme, and a bottle of chambord.

I got that service from Art (OldPinGuy) when he owned Comet. If I asked about a certain game he'd give me an honest rundown of the do's and don'ts.

TZ - Dark in the back so get the brighter . . . and with the blue hues use the cool white . . . . trying to get some color out of the inserts? Well yellow does not really saturate . . .

All you have to do was ask him and he'd write or talk to you. But looking at the kits people are buying they just want the ghetto look.

#571 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Well here is what a STTNG backbox looks like originally (top) followed by what I did to it with LEDs (bottom) (That bright light just above the upper ship is just a reflection from a ceiling light):

STTNG Backbox before (resized).jpgSTTNG Backbox LED (resized).jpg

#572 1 year ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Well here is what a STTNG backbox looks like originally (top) followed by what I did to it with LEDs (bottom) (That bright light just above the upper ship is just a reflection from a ceiling light):

I like that you illuminated art that was dark, but take the extra colors out. It's not necessary.

#573 1 year ago

I wonder why Facebook is the place for all this crap? More noobs?

24131840_10212021786197857_1608142903825080440_o (1) (resized).jpg
    23915947_10212235186492604_4511145087058034138_n (resized).jpg

#574 1 year ago

Water is blue, right?

Screenshot_2017-11-28-15-18-54 (resized).png

#575 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I tell my friends when they put colored bulbs in the GI's that it looks like ass too. You will never better yourself, by having a bunch of "YES" men around you, telling you what they think you want to hear. It's like the emperors new clothes. If everyone around you tells you nothings wrong. How will you ever know. You need that one TRUE friend that will say to you....."hey asshole, you're naked".

#576 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Because it's STTNG. They want to make it look the way Geordi Laforge would see it.

laforge (resized).jpg

#578 1 year ago

That's hysterical!

#579 1 year ago

This thread actually contains two kinds of puke: rainbow puke and monochromatic puke.

#580 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

This thread actually contains two kinds of puke: rainbow puke and monochromatic puke.

I was just discussing (off Pinside) a Centaur playfield swap a friend is doing. When I came back here and saw you say "monochromatic" I just got some of the worst images in my mind.

Is there a color puke kit for Centaur? You would actually maintain detail (unless the little red went black) but I just mentally wonder how bad that could be. Or if there was a picture I may have blocked it out.

#581 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Yeah, not sure what they ate to give all this purple and blue puke.

#582 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I was just discussing (off Pinside) a Centaur playfield swap a friend is doing. When I came back here and saw you say "monochromatic" I just got some of the worst images in my mind.
    Is there a color puke kit for Centaur? You would actually maintain detail (unless the little red went black) but I just mentally wonder how bad that could be. Or if there was a picture I may have blocked it out.

LEDs in Centaur would be worse than other pins. The flashing GI would make you even more crazy.

#583 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Water is blue, right?

I don't know what's more ridiculous, all blue GI or trying to sell Waterworld for $3,000.

#584 1 year ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I don't know what's more ridiculous, all blue GI or trying to sell Waterworld for $3,000.

Little from column "A" and a little from column "B".

#585 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

There are a bunch of overly LED's pinball machines lately that are plugging Pinstadium.

#586 1 year ago

Pinstadium is a whole other bucket of retina-ruining nonsense.

#587 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Pinstadium is a whole other bucket of retina-ruining nonsense.

Pinstadium itself is like anything else, if used correctly it can be great, if used incorrectly you can go blind!

#588 1 year ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Ha...that DM looks good.

Agreed!! Not too washed out and plenty of light in the middle. I like it.

#589 1 year ago

For sale thread.

08f2ca99709057ecb8afb02aed9eb0893c1843f8 (resized).jpg

20fad523dddb4731e8ed9f5cecc94737ebbd16b9 (resized).jpg

#590 1 year ago

Here's one for ya

images (resized).jpg

#591 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

For sale thread.

They can keep it.

#592 1 year ago

I have my HUO POTC and a spare Kruzman playfield. After seeing what people do I think I have to take them to the grave with me.

CaptJackOuchy.gif

#593 1 year ago

Does anyone think it is a little ironic that we used to put "Glare Guards" on the games to stop the DMD from reflecting on the playfield glass; now I would have to use one so I could still read the DMD after the playfield reflects off it?

POTCFail (resized).jpg

#594 1 year ago

I was looking at the Mona Lisa this morning and I thought, "Why only clown puke on pinball machines? Let's make Mona Lisa really POP."

I picked bright green for her hands, they pop now.

I used pink for the GI illumination to make it really pop.

Art is about making stuff POP.

Unfortunately, I cannot make your monitor bright enough to hurt your eyes. You'll have to adjust the brightness up to 100% and then sit in a dark room until your pupils open up fully. Then turn the monitor on so the light really hurts your eyes. Then the colors will really pop.

o-MONA-LISA-570 (resized).jpg

#595 1 year ago

Which one "pops" more?

My clown puked Mona Lisa or the LOTR?

o-MONA-LISA-570 (resized).jpg

#596 1 year ago

MV5BMzJiZmEzOGItODU4My00Zjk0LTljNGQtNmFmYzNhMTYwZmM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyNDQ2NjI@._V1_ (resized).jpg

#597 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I was looking at the Mona Lisa this morning and I thought, "Why only clown puke on pinball machines? Let's make Mona Lisa really POP."
    I picked bright green for her hands, they pop now.
    I used pink for the GI illumination to make it really pop.
    Art is about making stuff POP.
    Unfortunately, I cannot make your monitor bright enough to hurt your eyes. You'll have to adjust the brightness up to 100% and then sit in a dark room until your pupils open up fully. Then turn the monitor on so the light really hurts your eyes. Then the colors will really pop.

it's funny, i've used this exact same comparison to explain things to people before.

#598 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

"Why only clown puke on pinball machines?"

It's not only pinball machines. How about the art on this bus? The difference is this photo is not altered.

LED-Accent-Lighting-Single-Color-Red-Light-Strip-School-Bus (resized).jpg

#599 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

It's not only pinball machines. How about the art on this bus? The difference is this photo is not altered.

that's artwork? I thought it was a dirty steel roof.

#600 1 year ago

This crusade has spilled into bus roofs and historic art! Muahahaha. Strong work

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 139.00
    $ 149.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 89.99
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside