(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,227 posts
  • 453 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by CelticKnot
  • Topic is favorited by 107 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 248 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 150 votes
      33%

(457 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1711587135359 (resized).jpg
    20240325_183907-COLLAGE (1) (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240325_221629653 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8096331_0 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    431601171_294512636845936_6996028550009748198_n (resized).jpg
    Pinside_market_157961_0 (resized).jpg
    rainbow-centaur-mens-t-shirt (resized).jpg
    FdmlqFrR_400x400 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_084956_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_085002_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_0257.gif
    Screenshot_20240314_124458_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240312-190113 (resized).png

There are 8,227 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 165.
    #501 6 years ago

Had 3 JM's don't have one now. Had 1 JP, still have it. Pinsound in it has taken it to another level.

#502 6 years ago

Nope. Check pinbulbzandarcades out on Ebay. Lots more kits, I fear.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#503 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Best thing you've said so far sport.......
    Here are a few tastefully lit pins with James' help of pinballbulbs.com as a counterpoint. some UV and blues in the GIs.....god forbid.

Those looks terrible. Looks like a kids cosmic bowling birthday party. Do you listen to 90s dance music while you play?

#504 6 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072DXFKRH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

Lightning deal on Amazon for another hour for only $25. DIY your own Pin Stadium style lighting kit.

#505 6 years ago

This stuff is reminding me of the Blacklight posters of the 60's&70's.

8b7f1fc305910ad6ad1d4d3cf29dfd5a--black-light-posters-american-pie (resized).jpg8b7f1fc305910ad6ad1d4d3cf29dfd5a--black-light-posters-american-pie (resized).jpg

#506 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Lol...case in point.

JM ranked #72...JP #60.

#507 6 years ago

So what is the cause of this? I honestly have been curious about this for awhile.

Do that many people have such bad taste? Do they have vision problems?

Or is this a case of copycat behavior or a kind of mass hysteria?

#508 6 years ago

I was guilty . All my games are back to white
    GI lighting now .

#509 6 years ago
    Quoted from freakandgeek:

So what is the cause of this? I honestly have been curious about this for awhile.
    Do that many people have such bad taste? Do they have vision problems?
    Or is this a case of copycat behavior or a kind of mass hysteria?

some has to do with not reallying understanding the use of light and the effects of illumination. From afar (VERY VERY FAR) away, the game has pop and looks like a xmas tree. if that's all you are doing with your games, it looks appealing. If you actually plan on playing your games or getting within 2 feet of them, then you realize how shitty it actually looks. Problem is, many newbs eyes glaze over from the xmas tree effect, and can't see shit beyond that. So in their mind, they think it looks good because of that distant first glance appearance.

shit LEDs (resized).jpgshit LEDs (resized).jpg

#510 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

some has to do with not reallying understanding the use of light and the effects of illumination. From afar (VERY VERY FAR) away, the game has pop and looks like a xmas tree. if that's all you are doing with your games, it looks appealing. If you actually plan on playing your games or getting within 2 feet of them, then you realize how shitty it actually looks. Problem is, many newbs eyes glaze over from the xmas tree effect, and can't see shit beyond that. So in their mind, they think it looks good because of that distant first glance appearance.

Nail on the head with that ..

#511 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

JM ranked #72...JP #60.

You keep holding on to that truth with the rest of the pious followers of the white light.

#512 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

You keep holding on to that truth with the rest of the pious followers of the white light.

lol... whatever dude, it's just pinball.

#513 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

amazon.com link »
    Lightning deal on Amazon for another hour for only $25. DIY your own Pin Stadium style lighting kit.

Try a USB Micro strip for TVs on Ebay, add a dimmer, and attach to GI, warm white as well.
    About $10, for GI controlled version....

#514 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Sounds like a cool band name at least. I'm a little confused here, are you having fun or are you genuinely upset? Either way, you have provided endless entertainment since the start of this thread and I thank you.

#515 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Sounds like a cool band name at least. I'm a little confused here, are you having fun or are you genuinely upset? Either way, you have provided endless entertainment since the start of this thread and I thank you.

And he likes to use fancy words. Pious? Really

#516 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

And he likes to use fancy words. Pious? Really

I take it as just trolling. As soon as he said -

Quoted from kvan99:

Touché my friend, in my eyes it beats 99% of the Warm White-Bread look.

I just can't take it seriously.

#517 6 years ago

Geez,.did I not put a smiley face at the end of that comment?

#518 6 years ago

Another winner just in for sale:

cae4cb067670149376f8e9bf2671ab4032ea643b (resized).jpgcae4cb067670149376f8e9bf2671ab4032ea643b (resized).jpg

#519 6 years ago

why destroy such great artwork. Who the hell could look at that and say to themselves......"Damn, I did a great job". Apparently, they never actually play their games. I'd sell it too, if mine looked like that.

#520 6 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Another overused Pinside term. Everyone thinks their LED job is tastefully done.

Mine are, thank you!

#521 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why destroy such great artwork. Who the hell could look at that and say to themselves......"Damn, I did a great job". Apparently, they never actually play their games. I'd sell it too, if mine looked like that.

Probably sell his bike as well

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

...probably the house, too

marvelous-design-blue-christmas-lights-in-massive-quantities-on-this-home (resized).jpgmarvelous-design-blue-christmas-lights-in-massive-quantities-on-this-home (resized).jpg

#522 6 years ago

the difference is, there is no artwork on either of those. You are not destoying anything. if the bike had art, you couldn't see it at night anyway.

The big difference between things like a house or car, is that you have this work of art that you are illuminating. And you have a functionality that you need to have as well. If the field is not properly lit, you can't see shit. If you can't see shit, you can't play or it puts massive strain on your eyes. So you are ruining the sole purpose of the machine. That's the big difference.

Like I said before. If you have your games to just look at from a distance. The xmas tree effect wont' effect you much. Blinky pretty lights that illuminate your gameroom. As long as you don't look at them closely or want to play them.

#523 6 years ago

You claim it's a "science"... yet you have posted ZERO scientific proof (not even one pie chart!) on how different spectrums affect the eyes and how they(eyes) perceive/receive different colors! So far it's just a stubborn old man's opinion! Agreed on by other old men!

#524 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

So far it's just a stubborn old man's opinion! Agreed on by other old men!

What's the curt off for old man?

#525 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

You claim it's a "science"... yet you have posted ZERO scientific proof (not even one pie chart!) on how different spectrums affect the eyes and how they(eyes) perceive/receive different colors! So far it's just a stubborn old man's opinion! Agreed on by other old men!

it's going to be a huge write up. I'm already working on it. I have to get it all written out ahead of time and add the pictures where I want them before I post it.

#526 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What's the curt off for old man?

No worries you'll still qualify, I will see to it.

#527 6 years ago

This should be good for a laugh, your not actually going try and convince us the science of art. All that is going to be proven is you have no understanding of either.

#528 6 years ago

The people who really care are the only ones who might read it, and they are already making better decisions on lighting. The ones who need to read it don't give a damn.

#529 6 years ago

I was going to say not to waste his time cause no one cares, but the way you put it works

#530 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

This should be good for a laugh, your not actually going try and convince us the science of art. All that is going to be proven is you have no understanding of either.

It's not science of "art", it color and lighting theory, which is what art schools teach as fact! My background is in lighting design for theatrical productions, bands, plays, etc. I had many classes on this subject. I posted a good book earlier in the thread, when I get home I'll recommend more. I went to school with some cinematographers and you should see how far down the rabbit hole these guys go studying nothing but light and color. They are highly trained.

#531 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Well then, paraphrasing from Ronald Regan, we won't hold your youth and inexperience against you.

Here is a link to and easy to understad website with lots of pictures for you -

https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/47-colours-of-light

See the section "Colour of objects" and undestand how this quote applies -

"If only blue light is shone onto a red shirt, the shirt would appear black, because the blue would be absorbed and there would be no red light to be reflected."

So, you see an object's color because it is able to reflect light of those wavelengths. So white light, lights many colors and shows you what is supposed to be there. Overpowering with limited light spectrums means objects of those colors outside of the spectrum of light are not illumitated. You are not "adding color" to them. You are washing them out and losing any detail by not illuminating them.

themoreyou know (resized).jpgthemoreyou know (resized).jpg

#532 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I agree with him is 32 considered old?

#533 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

"If only blue light is shone onto a red shirt, the shirt would appear black, because the blue would be absorbed and there would be no red light to be reflected."

Awww, come on. Everyone knows if you just keep adding more and more blue (LED) light, you will eventually see red!

#534 6 years ago

Here I thought we were talking pinball not lighting for theater and film. Even in those mediums if you want to day glow up the stage it's still art. If people want to color up their machines to look as what the perceive as better. It's art there is no science. When Vanilla Ice sampled Queen it made me want to puke, it's still art. You guys really need to get off your high horse. You can laugh you can say it's hideous but trying to say they are scientifically wrong because of what they see as beauty is fucking laughable. It sure as shit is not science it's stupidity.

P.S. I love the use of theory and fact in the same sentence.

#535 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Not if you can keep your figure, Mitch...

#536 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

And here I am, not even 20 yet, and I gotta agree with pretty much everything he's said too.

#537 6 years ago

Here's a dumbass reseller with a bad rap in our area. bwahahaha

$_59.JPG.jpeg$_59.JPG.jpeg

$_59.JPG(2).jpeg$_59.JPG(2).jpeg

#538 6 years ago

For the most part I agree, colored GI really makes a game darker and hard to play for me and it ruins the artwork. I am however guilty of changing some of the GI on my Avatar. I like the look of the ice blue and blues along with CW lamps in my game, it looks like I'm on Pandora and I like it. Its still bright enough that I can see the ball fine. It's not for everyone but it's your game, do what you want to it.

#539 6 years ago

There is also a science of audio, including frequency, distortion, dynamic range and stereo separation. Do you think as an audio professional of several decades I have a chance at all of convincing these fools driving by my house, rattling my windows with distorted bass, that I could ever convince them of that. Not a chance.

FFA92R7FW5H3H8N.LARGE (resized).jpgFFA92R7FW5H3H8N.LARGE (resized).jpg

#540 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

It's not science of "art", it color and lighting theory, which is what art schools teach as fact! My background is in lighting design for theatrical productions, bands, plays, etc. I had many classes on this subject. I posted a good book earlier in the thread, when I get home I'll recommend more. I went to school with some cinematographers and you should see how far down the rabbit hole these guys go studying nothing but light and color. They are highly trained.

exactly right. When you are lighting something, you have 2 purposes in pinball. Looks and practicality. You need both. Since pinball uses many different colors in it's art selection, 99% of the time, you only have white light to pick from. Since you have to be able to see the ball. Again, you need strong light distribution. Which white light travels farther than any other light in the spectrum. The article will show you side by side comparisons on what to do and what not to do and show you exactly why it works and why it doesn't work. Many are just misinformed, or buy those god awful kits, by some fucktard who has no business making LED kits. This article isn't going to pass judgement on anyone. It's going to be a scientific outlook on how light effects things in pinball. So those that really didn't understand it, now able to know what works and what doesn't. Similar to the playfield and cabinet restoration threads.

#541 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

You do realize that you can hold an opinion...and at the same time that opinion can be factually wrong.

#542 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

You do realize that you can hold an opinion...and at the same time that opinion can be factually wrong.

*Sigh," again, you are wasting you breath. There is a whole market segment of pinballers that LIKE flamboyant bright LED colors and ridiculous mods and they don't give a shit about science of lighting, or playability. They are playing and selling these games, because that is what they like and that's what people are buying.

#543 6 years ago

I'm not one for color in the GI. I don't mind a little but in general I'm a cool or warm white guy. What I find so amusing is you guys saying someone is scientifically wrong because they like it. Sure there is a science to lighting a stage or film. If you want your machine purple there is nothing wrong with that and there is no science or facts that state it's wrong. I also find it amusing that you guys pretend there was ever science to how playfields were lit as far as art. It was all about cost and convenience. There are dark areas and overlit areas in every pin. They put lights where the ball wouldn't hit them. If you want to talk about lighting a playfield for the art Pin Stadium is probably the way to go. The original incandescents did not light them worth shit.

#544 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The original incandescents did not light them worth shit.

Your opinion. I think they illuminate a playfield just fine and I use them exclusively in all my games.

I don't like any of the LEDs...color, cool white or warm white. The LEDs are too directional and try to disperse the light through a diffuser and just have a hard time putting light to the side. So you end up with bright spots. Also, no matter what OCD system you use, my eyes can pick up the flicker.

#545 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The original incandescents did not light them worth shit.

Haha finally "facts" have shown up!

#546 6 years ago

Im an old fart, with 47 years owning pins, and hundred and hundreds of games LED since 1978.

As a businessman, everybody said...Why dont you make "kits", the Hot look is Colored GI!

I just couldnt do it. I didnt wish to insult anyone that over colored their GI...its their game, they could take all the bulbs out
    If it made them happy, or put strobes all over.

But other than an accent, or if it was a bit more color, it never bled into an area to kinda ruin the art.
    So a couple bulbs, just personally I found OK.

But 95% of the time it was a shade of white.

Science? Easy. Step outside, is the Sunlight, Purple? Do you work in an office with all lighting Blue?
    If you stare at these long enough when playing, I believe one can damage their eyes.
    Why? because since our first opening of our eyes in Mankinds history, our eyes, and how they are made,
    were not ever part of a long BLUE LED exposure.
    One may be able to see it fine now...but I dont think everyone will come away after long term use.

Of course if you have overhead lighting, or play for 10 minutes, likely no issues.
    But Hours, in the Dark, with These colors...I just have to go by my experience and the Science of Nature and the sun.

Hence the Kelvin of Sunlight Bulbs.

No insult meant if you want to color all blue, red or even Black Leds...your game, your eyes.

Just one of those old men trying to share, and old enough to know it doesnt matter if you listen.....

#547 6 years ago

I'm talking about the "science" of lighting. If you followed the theory of lighting the first thing you would do is pull most of the GI and use some overhead lighting. You would never light something by putting lights on the thing you are trying to light pointing in line of sight. That is how playfields are lit as far as "lighting" it is completely wrong.

#548 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If it made them happy, or put strobes all over.

I have seen at least one game in the past with all #455 lamps for GI. Obviously, it was not playable. Just as many of what we have seen would never get my quarter.

Thank you for NOT doing GI color kits when you had Comet!

#549 6 years ago

Ugh...poor Lost World

#550 6 years ago

More pics!! Less petty bs!

There are 8,227 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 165.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/11?hl=aplundell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.