20190427_181456 (resized).jpg
20190427_181508 (resized).jpg
20190427_181515 (resized).jpg
20190427_181548 (resized).jpg
20190427_181437 (resized).jpg
20190427_181443 (resized).jpg
20190427_181448 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

On my Bally power play, plugging it in and flipping the on switch no longer does anything. No lights, no mpu boot, no NOTHING. I'm at a loss for what to do because just 2 hours ago the game would boot no problem and would function perfectly fine. I thought maybe the outlet quit working but this is clearly not the case. I checked all fuses with a DMM and all fuses are still functional. What should I do to narrow down the problem here? Testing high voltage with a DMM is a little intimidating, as I have accidentally shocked myself when working with high voltage.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from flappybob123:

On my Bally power play, plugging it in and flipping the on switch no longer does anything. No lights, no mpu boot, no NOTHING. I'm at a loss for what to do because just 2 hours ago the game would boot no problem and would function perfectly fine. I thought maybe the outlet quit working but this is clearly not the case. I checked all fuses with a DMM and all fuses are still functional. What should I do to narrow down the problem here? Testing high voltage with a DMM is a little intimidating, as I have accidentally shocked myself when working with high voltage.

No wall power?
Loose power cord?
Loose wires in the power box?
Blown thermistor or fuse in power box?

So basically, start at the beginning from the wall to the game and onwards to the pc boards.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Loose power cord?
Loose wires in the power box?
Blown thermistor or fuse in power box?

+1 all of these

especially the fuse in the power box. happened to me once and it was the last thing I checked lol

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

+1 all of these
especially the fuse in the power box. happened to me once and it was the last thing I checked lol

Where would I find this fuse? Is it in the varistor? In the transformer? I can't seem to find it. Only fuses I see are the fuses on the rectifier board, the fuse on the SDB, and the fuse under the playfield.

#5 4 years ago

First, make sure 110 volt AC is getting to the Line Filter that will rule out your line cord, Outlet Etc. Make sure the voltage is getting through the Line Filter then trace the wires to the power switch and to the Transformer board. Once that's verified let us know if the game still does not turn on. I have had switches go bad I have also had line filters go bad in an open state. The varistor across the Line Filter would not cause the problem you're having you can remove it and the game will still work but you won't have protection from surges such as when a bowling alley turns 50 upsetting mechanisms on or off.. If the varistor were shorted, you would immediately blow a fuse/circuit breaker when you plug the game into an outlet. I mean the fuse / circuit breaker in your home electric panel.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

First, make sure 110 volt AC is getting to the Line Filter that will rule out your line cord, Outlet Etc. Make sure the voltage is getting through the Line Filter then trace the wires to the power switch and to the Transformer board. Once that's verified let us know if the game still does not turn on. I have had switches go bad I have also had line filters go bad in an open state. The varistor across the Line Filter would not cause the problem you're having you can remove it and the game will still work but you won't have protection from surges such as when a bowling alley turns 50 upsetting mechanisms on or off.. If the varistor were shorted, you would immediately blow a fuse/circuit breaker when you plug the game into an outlet. I mean the fuse / circuit breaker in your home electric panel.

Got it. Working with high voltage is a little freaky cuz I've definitely had a DMM blow out on me when testing 120 VAC. Could you tell me EXACTLY where I should put my DMM leads for testing each area? Sorry if I'm sounding noobish, I just don't want to mess with high voltage without making sure I'm doing things correctly.

#7 4 years ago

Could you tell me EXACTLY where

Does your game have a service out let in it ? If so plug a lamp or something into that.

If that works, you have power into the game so then the main fuse and line filter etc. are working.

LTG : )

#8 4 years ago

Check the wall voltage first.

Then check fuse f6 with the ohm meter to see if its good. If it's bad, this is the problem starting place.

Check the voltage at the line cord/filter/varister (little silver box with the red disc thing on it) with the game plugged in.

And check voltage at the switch, they go bad too.

Red disk thing is the varister, little silver box is the line filter.

Basically see if you got power to the game.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Does your game have a service out let in it ? If so plug a lamp or something into that.
If that works, you have power into the game so then the main fuse and line filter etc. are working.

Simplest test! Good idea.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Service outlet test worked. The lamp I plugged into it turned on when I plugged the machine in, even with the game switch off. So what should I do from here?

#11 4 years ago

How is the fuse f6?

Pull it out test with ohmmeter.

#12 4 years ago

How is the fuse f6?

Fuse f6 tested fine

#13 4 years ago

How is the fuse f6?

The GI lights don't even power, keep that in mind.
Edit: just looked at schematics. F6 feeds the entire machine so it would affect even the GI if it was broken. But it's working fine so it must be something else...

#14 4 years ago

Check voltage at f6 if none then the problem is before it.

Check voltage at the switch in case its broken.

Check the connectors to the transformer board and transformer itself for burned connections or loose wires with game turned off.

Post pics if the transformer board , someone might see something.

#15 4 years ago

Check voltage at the switch in case its broken.
Check the connectors to the transformer board and transformer itself for burned connections or loose wires with game turned off.
Post pics if the transformer board , someone might see something.

I'm awaiting a fluke to come in from Amazon so I can test voltage safely (not with my Chinese knockoff DMM). But I'll post pics of the transformer

#16 4 years ago

Your DMM is probably ok for this.
Set it to 250v

If no power at f6 then probably the transformer board needs work or bad/burnt connectors

#17 4 years ago

Here are some photos

20190427_181437 (resized).jpg20190427_181437 (resized).jpg20190427_181443 (resized).jpg20190427_181443 (resized).jpg20190427_181508 (resized).jpg20190427_181508 (resized).jpg20190427_181448 (resized).jpg20190427_181448 (resized).jpg20190427_181515 (resized).jpg20190427_181515 (resized).jpg20190427_181548 (resized).jpg20190427_181548 (resized).jpg20190427_181456 (resized).jpg20190427_181456 (resized).jpg20190427_181552 (resized).jpg20190427_181552 (resized).jpg
#18 4 years ago

Check your voltage at test points

#19 4 years ago

Fuse holders look really crusty and corroded.

With game off. Clean the holder for f6 and the other fuses.

Maybe it's not making contact, it's pretty bad.

#20 4 years ago

You might also plug and unplug the connectors on the transformer board one by one to freshen them up.

And check for melted or loose or broken off wires.

#21 4 years ago

Is pin 1 on the right(upper right) connector fully seated in the wafer block?

#22 4 years ago

Your DMM is probably ok for this.
Set it to 250v
If no power at f6 then probably the transformer board needs work or bad/burnt connectors

I'll still wait for the new DMM, I don't want to take any risks with high voltage. It should arrive by Tuesday, once I get it in the mail I'll check TP6 for f6 on the rectifier board

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Is pin 1 on the right(upper right) connector fully seated in the wafer block?

The connectors look kinda funny, but I actually just recrimped all of them so they should function just fine. I just left a bit of wire loose coming out of each connector. Once I get my new DMM I will check for continuity on the connectors.

#24 4 years ago

I just left a bit of wire loose coming out of each connector

#25 4 years ago

The connectors look kinda funny, but I actually just recrimped all of them so they should function just fine. I just left a bit of wire loose coming out of each connector. Once I get my new DMM I will check for continuity on the connectors.

Yeah, the connector pin has two crimp points, one is supposed to crimp onto the wire, the other is supposed to crimp onto the insulation. You dont want to be pulling on the wire when moving things around, it's much better to be pulling on the insulation.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Yeah, the connector pin has two crimp points, one is supposed to crimp onto the wire, the other is supposed to crimp onto the insulation. You dont want to be pulling on the wire when moving things around, it's much better to be pulling on the insulation.

Hmm okay that's good to know, well guess I'll be recrimping my transformer board connectors again lol

#27 4 years ago

Hmm okay that's good to know, well guess I'll be recrimping my transformer connectors again

Hmm okay that's good to know, well guess I'll be recrimping my transformer board connectors again lol

#28 4 years ago

Fuse holders look really crusty and corroded.
With game off. Clean the holder for f6 and the other fuses.
Maybe it's not making contact, it's pretty bad.

What should I use to clean these holders? Isopropyl? And removing the transformer board is a hassle and a half, will I be able to clean it while leaving it in its place?

#29 4 years ago

What should I use to clean these holders? Isopropyl? And removing the transformer board is a hassle and a half, will I be able to clean it while leaving it in its place?

I have used a Dremel 443-02 dipped in Isopropyl and cleaned them in place.

1 month later
#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Judoratt:

I have used a Dremel 443-02 dipped in Isopropyl and cleaned them in place.

I see the 443-02 on Amazon, but I need a tool to use it with? Any recommendations for something cheap I can buy that will do the trick? I dotn want to buy a whole kit for just one thing. Will a regular drill work??

#31 4 years ago

I've used dremel bits in my drill, shouldn't be a problem.

#32 4 years ago

I've had two on-off switches fail on Bally early Solid State pins when I worked on a route. Verify with a meter or jumper wire.

#33 4 years ago

ever consider the on/off switch?
while your waiting in a volt meter, try jumping the lugs on main the switch.
rare but they can go bad.

1 week later
#34 4 years ago

Thanks for all your help guys, after recrimping all the connections to the rectifier board and cleaning the fuse holders with the dremel bit, the machine is up and running again!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 179.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-power-whatsoever?hl=welovescott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.