Transistor.png
robocopFlipperschem.jpg
right_coil.jpg
left_coil.jpg
flipper_board_2.jpg
flipper_board_1.jpg
photo_3.JPG
photo_1.JPG
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballGiant:

Yea I think I'll try to send it out just to save some money (unless the quote comes back more money than buying a new board). Does anyone know how much Coin-Op Cauldron would charge to repair the flipper board? I can't find it on their site.

I send all my wms stuff to Clive, but I've found that Chance Tess is the best when it comes to Data East. I bought a DE MPU from him that was half the price of anywhere else. He also fixed another DE MPU for me for $75. And he's fast, whereas sometimes Clive is 3 to 4 weeks backed up, which is a testament to Clive's great work too.

Try contacting Chance and see what he says.

Pinball Wizard Sales and Service
Chance Tess
Hazel Park, MI.
[email protected]
248-399-9867
(Email is the best way of communication)

#52 11 years ago

Thanks! I'll send him an email

#53 11 years ago

Okay guys some interesting breakthroughs. Here is a copy of Chance's answer...

"FYI, the flippers are hot all the time from the power supply, which has nothing to do with the flipper control board. If you measure the voltage from either flipper coil terminal to ground you will get the high voltage all the time, that is normal. The control board provides the ground. Does the flipper board work? Looks like both high power fuses are blown? What is it doing or not doing? What game is it out of? If the board needs repair, we certainly can do it. Please advise and I will email shipping address. Repairs are approx $50. to $75 plus $5. return shipping.....................Do not know if you received my last email. I looked alittle closer at the pics and if you are using this board in a Robo Cop, you have the wrong flipper control board. Board in pics is for a DE WWF. Robo Cop uses a 520-5033-00, the one in the picture is a 520-5080-00. They are not compatable or interchangable, pin arrangement is different and WWF has EOS switches, Robo Cop doesn't. That is why you are blowing fuses! The correct board is $95. with exchange , and $5. shipping. If you wish to keep your old board the cost is $125. outright plus $5 shipping. Please advise."

After I looked at my board he was right, this board is for games with EOS switches. HOWEVER, I found this service bulletin http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/sb103.pdf and looking at my board shows that someone modified it just like the bulletin says so that it can be used with non EOS games. These problems appear to be piling on one another! I either have the wrong board modified incorrectly, the wrong board modified correctly with other issues because the diodes were backwards, or a power supply problem... Any ideas at this point would be really helpful. Thanks!

#54 11 years ago

This is what I'd do, but I don't have a lot of patience.

I'd buy another board that is the correct one for my machine; and put it in.

The cost to try to fix your board...+ shipping, etc is going to be as much as getting a new board, and you could probably get a replacement faster.

That is assuming that you believe that the input(s) to the board are good so you don't fry the new one.

Robert

#55 11 years ago

Trade in and get the new and correct board.

#56 11 years ago

After I looked at my board he was right, this board is for games with EOS switches. HOWEVER, I found this service bulletin http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/sb103.pdf and looking at my board shows that someone modified it just like the bulletin says so that it can be used with non EOS games.

The bulletin is for reworking a non EOS PCB to a EOS PCB.

Robo Cop uses a 520-5033-00, the one in the picture is a 520-5080-00. They are not compatable or interchangable, pin arrangement is different and WWF has EOS switches, Robo Cop doesn't

So what you have is a 5080-00 modified???
You have to rework the flipper PCB making it a EOS PCB, you need to revert it back to a NON-EOS PCB.

#57 11 years ago

What is the part number on your Flipper PCB??

#58 11 years ago

Good point in earlier post - high voltage will always be at the coil, the activated transistor will pull the other end of the coil to ground, allowing current to flow. If this transistor is shorted, the coil, or hopefully fuse, will cook.

Without seeing the schematic, my guess would be the transistor. If you disconnect the coil as was done, there is no high voltage current path to pop the fuse... And the fuse didn't pop. So i dont think one can say there is no short on the board because the fuse didnt blow. ... Would be alot easier if i had a schematic, so at this point i am making an out loud educated guess.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I'd buy another board that is the correct one for my machine; and put it in.

I agree and think this is the best route but am worried that the problem may be lurking on the power supply and I'm gonna end up frying my new board or needlessly getting a new one

Quoted from pdman:

I think it's the opposite because the bulletin says they will no longer make NON EOS boards and proceeds to show how one can make an EOS board a non EOS board...

Quoted from pdman:

What is the part number on your Flipper PCB??

I have a 520-5080-00 flipper board modified to mimic the function of a 520-5033-00

Thanks!

#60 11 years ago

pdman said:

I think it's the opposite because the bulletin says they will no longer make NON EOS boards and proceeds to show how one can make an EOS board a non EOS board...

Your Right, the instructions to modify the PCB show this but the subject line of the Service Bulletin is:
SUBJ: Solid State Flipper Board, 520-5033-00 (Non-E.O.S) conversion to
Solid State Flipper Board, 520-5080-00 (E.O.S)

It should read :
SUBJ: Solid State Flipper Board, 520-5080-00 (E.O.S) conversion to
Solid State Flipper Board, 520-5033-00 (Non-E.O.S)

#61 11 years ago

I agree and think this is the best route but am worried that the problem may be lurking on the power supply and I'm gonna end up frying my new board or needlessly getting a new one

As long as the voltages in to it are correct, and there isn't a short on the output, you'll be OK.

Robert

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from WannaTheater:

Good point in earlier post - high voltage will always be at the coil, the activated transistor will pull the other end of the coil to ground, allowing current to flow. If this transistor is shorted, the coil, or hopefully fuse, will cook.
Without seeing the schematic, my guess would be the transistor. If you disconnect the coil as was done, there is no high voltage current path to pop the fuse... And the fuse didn't pop. So i dont think one can say there is no short on the board because the fuse didnt blow. ... Would be alot easier if i had a schematic, so at this point i am making an out loud educated guess.

Wrong....DE flipper boards, switch voltage, not ground....You're thinking standard 50V coils or WMS/Bally flipper coils. The DE flipper coils are single windings...there is no high or low voltage windings like WMS/Bally coils. The DE board sends a 50V pulse followed by an 8V holding voltage apx 50 ms later.

#63 11 years ago

Bgrom....I'm going to have to disagree with Chance on this one. Unless the 50V/8V circuitry was completely changed between Robocop and TFTC, which I don't believe it was. The later revision added EOS and a third flipper coil, but AFAIK they still used the 50V/8V voltage switching method to the coil.

I have opened my TFTC and confirmed the operation to the schematics with a meter. There is never a constant 50V voltage to the coil. It switches 50V briefly to the coil when the flipper button is pressed and then drops the voltage to 8V. This is measured against a constant ground, not the flipper button ground. Incidentally, look at the schematics. The orange ground wires come off CN19 on the MPU through the flipper relay...what's on the other side of the flipper relay? Constant ground, not a switched ground from the flipper button. So in the case of DE flipper, once the game is in play, it has a constant ground...The flipper board IS NOT providing a switched ground. The schematics are also wrong as they show the orange wires from the coils going through the flipper buttons....They don't. Look at your flipper buttons and you'll see dark gray or black.

#64 11 years ago

I would get a new board and just start fresh! Eliminate the possible "this and that" with your current board

#65 11 years ago

Incidentally, Chance is also wrong about not being able to use the 80 in place of a 33...The pinouts aren't different, you just cut pin 10 and make a couple of other changes according to the service bulletin.

#66 11 years ago

Just to follow up, I contacted Chance to try and understand his explanation. What he was trying to express was that if you read the voltage ACROSS the coil lugs when the game is on but in attract mode, you don't have the ground because of the flipper relay (as I explained above) and so you are just reading a floating voltage. I had you read the coil voltage to a permanent ground (bottom ground strap) for that purpose, knowing that the flipper ground would not be in play in attract mode.

He did agree with my explanation above that you SHOULD NOT have high voltage to the coil all the time. So, we are back to likely your transistors or diodes on the board are shot. Your choice what to do at this point.

If you have patience and want to learn, I'd replace the Tip36c, Tip32c and IN4004 and see if that fixes your problem. Worst case, you learn some soldering skills and you buy a new board from Chance or PinLED for $80. Middle case, for the cost of a few parts (<$8) you fix nothing and you can still send the board off, you've just lost time. Best case, you fix it

#67 11 years ago

Ummmmm, he is wise, robertmee is...

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

he is wise, robertmee is

Agreed. Robert (and everyone else for that matter) you have been extremely helpful and patient during this whole problem and there's no way I could have diagnosed the problem or learned so much without you all. Thanks! As far as which road I'll take...

Quoted from robertmee:If you have patience and want to learn, I'd replace the Tip36c, Tip32c and IN4004 and see if that fixes your problem. Worst case, you learn some soldering skills and you buy a new board from Chance or PinLED for $80.

I'm graduating high school on Saturday so I'll have nothing but free time. I'm thinking I'll buy some components to try and fix it and if it's a no go I'll just buy a new rottendog board.

#69 11 years ago

I'm replacing the TIP 32C's, TIP 36C's, the SCR's, and the two IN4004 diodes. Should I replace the big IN5404 diodes or any of the resistors? Thanks!

#70 11 years ago

I doubt the IN5404's or even the SCRs are bad as they are on the VAC (8 v holding circuit) and that doesn't appear to be your problem. Start with the TIPs and the IN4004's on the HV side first. You don't want to be replacing components for the sake of replacing components as everytime you heat a circuit board/component you take a small chance of damaging a trace.

#71 11 years ago

Thanks robertmee. I stand corrected. I was basing all off chance's statement about transistor pulling coil to ground. Next time it will be best to find a schematic before i pipe up

#72 11 years ago

$4.62 later (plus shipping) and my TIPs and IN4004s should be here from Mouser shortly. I'll let you all know the outcome. Robertmee, is it just the two diodes D1 and D6 I need to replace? Thanks.

#74 11 years ago

Okay guys I just put in the four new transistors and two diodes and plugged the board back up. I'M UP AND RUNNING!!! The flippers flip perfectly and no fuses are blowing. Thanks for everyone's help! Pinside rocks.

#75 11 years ago

whoo-hoo!

ps-cars.gifps-cars.gif

#76 11 years ago

Congrats!! Good job.....

#77 11 years ago

Wow!! What a great outcome : )

#78 11 years ago

just read the whole thread. Great outcome!

So much more satisfying (and cheaper!) than just buying a new board without figuring out your High voltage problem. Congratulations!

#79 11 years ago

Good job

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-power-to-flippers-any-ideas/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.