Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pahuffman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Just picked up a Williams Super-Flite. I plugged it in and got nothing. Hit the left flipper button and got nothing. All the fuses test fine. I thought it might be the switch, so I bypassed it and jumpered the switch wires together - still nothing.

Here are my questions:

Is there a way to test the power cord and/or transformer at least to eliminate those potential issues?

Is there a main fuse I'm missing somewhere? I thought the fuses were on separate circuits, so wouldn't I at least get GI?

#2 7 years ago

Check for voltage at the inputs of the power switch, at the service outlet, etc. At some point between where the power cord comes in and where the transformer is there's a loss of voltage. Not sure about this machine specifically, but many have a fuse prior to the transformer, often located near the back

#3 7 years ago

There's a 10A fuse near the back of the playfield. I replaced that and still nothing. I'll see if I can trace those lines and see where the voltage drop is. Is it safe to test the voltage with the machine plugged in?

#4 7 years ago

You'd only get any voltage with the machine plugged in. Just don't brush against metal parts. Alternately turn it off and then do a continuity test from the cord to different points

#5 7 years ago

You'll need to check the circuits that supply power to the transformer... First, make sure the power cord is in good condition. Then check the power cord is connected to a "working" power outlet. Check the voltage at the transformer with a multi-meter. Incoming voltage should be 110-120v and the output voltage should be 25v and 5-6v. Then check voltage on both sides of the main fuse near the transformer at the fuse block, and check voltage on both sides of the power switch...

#6 7 years ago

Ok so I checked the cord where it connects to the wires inside and got nothing. Does that mean the cord is simply shorted out and I need a new one? I know the outlet is working and fine.

#7 7 years ago

And by that I mean I tested from where it first makes contact with other wires in the game.

#8 7 years ago

Just tested the same spot on my other Williams pin and read 120v, so I'm sure the cord is the issue. I'll put in another tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for all the help!

#9 7 years ago

If you confirmed the outlet is working, and you tested for input voltage before the transformer fuse- and there was no voltage, then it sounds like you have a bad power cord. I'd replace it with a new 3-prong cord...

#10 7 years ago

It was the cord! Thanks, everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-power-on-williams-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.