You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bow and Arrow 100k light (resized).jpg
Bow and Arrow Pop bumpers (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hello to all!

So I'm working on a Bally's Bow and Arrow and I noticed that the pop bumpers are not firing nor are getting power to light the bulb inside them... any clue on where to start? the rest of the GI is working, I thought that the the GI will also illuminate the pop bumpers but I guess I'm mistaken. Any leads?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

~ja

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

I thought that the the GI will also illuminate the pop bumpers but I guess I'm mistaken.

You have to light the pops through gameplay.

Get a meter and see if the pop switches are working

#3 5 years ago

Are your sling shots working? If not, that means all the DC devices are out so you probably have a blown 5A fuse, or a bad fuse holder, rectifier or capacitor.
Bow and Arrow Pop bumpers (resized).jpgBow and Arrow Pop bumpers (resized).jpg
/Mark

#4 5 years ago

The bridge in these is definitely suspect after 40+ years. But start with the easiest first (Fuse, wiring break)

#5 5 years ago

The pop bumper lamps are on a circuit enabled by a 15A fuse, a NO switch on the lock relay, followed by a NC switch on the Game Over relay. Would suggest checking all those to trouble shoot if the pop bumper lamps don't come on in gameplay.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for your answers! I'll give a try tonight and report! Thanks...!

While in the same (Bow and Arrow) topic, I found one curious issue (another one) the lights for ball 1,2,3,4 & 5 don't light, the same goes as the ones that highlight the player in turn. I remember at some some point these will lit momentarily, but not anymore, aren't these lights controlled by the player unit? the same that skips from player to player? If so, I already cleaned up the contacts of this unit and switching players works without problem. Hmmmm...

Thanks again guys!

~ja

#7 5 years ago

Check your fuse holders and clean your jones plugs in addition to other things suggested already. Bally has a reputation for poor fuse holders.

#8 5 years ago

Success! I found a broken wire, fixed it and pop bumpers now work! Thanks to all for your input, yay!

BUT... I discovered something odd... on a +2 player game, player 2 will lit its 100k light when it crosses 20k, this is a score motor thing right? Those things are sooo intimidating for me. any leads on what (of all) the stacks I should look for a problem?

Here's a link of yesterday's stream of Bow and Arrow, almost 3 hours of continuos game... as I stated, that was a torture test.

Thanks again to all!

~ja

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

on a +2 player game, player 2 will lit its 100k light when it crosses 20k

The 2nd player 100k light turns on when the 2nd Player 100k Trip relay fires. You should double check that that is what's happening. The relevant circuit is:
Bow and Arrow 100k light (resized).jpgBow and Arrow 100k light (resized).jpg
Three switches need to close to get that relay to fire. Starting at the bottom of the schematic:
- the 1000 point relay switch closes with the 1000 point relay fires
- the 2nd player 1000-9000 drum unit switch closes when the 1000 drum shows 9
- the 2nd player 10,000-90,000 drum unit switch which closes when the 10,000 drum shows 9
Or in other words, the 2nd player 100k trip relay fires when the 2nd player has 99,000 points and the 1000 relay fires.

If your 100k trip relay fires when player 2 has just 20k points, the first two switches are doing the right thing and it's just the third switch (in the red box) that's closing early. It could be because the switch inside the drum unit isn't adjusted properly, or there's a short due to a bent solder tab, exposed wire, etc. I'd start by having a good look at the player 2 10,000 point score reel and the switches on it to make sure they're working properly.

Another option would be to let the 100k trip relay fire at 20k, then manually untrip it to make the light go out. Does it trip again at 30k or 40k or any other value before 100k? That might shed a little more light on the situation.

/Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 119.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-power-at-all-on-pop-bumpers-?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.