(Topic ID: 230510)

No powder coating puke club! (Post pics of worst color powder fails)

By PACMAN

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

powdercoated lineup (resized).jpg
    SW powdercoated (resized).jpg
    B579533B-6252-48B1-B609-3925183BE8E4 (resized).png
    20220526_212944 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230817_190954_Chrome (resized).jpg
    72987AC9-86AB-4715-BADE-6AA3C4AE26DD (resized).jpeg
    2EDEAFE3-695B-43C6-86C6-10C7C08BF2CA (resized).jpeg
    yuck1 (resized).jpg
    yuck2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    DwHBbrlV4AA2x0M (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    18BC58E1-975B-4F62-8A02-95EBB65E2590 (resized).jpeg
    171816D9-02BB-4CA1-9A9A-EBD3A48A777A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    131994650_2770644749823516_8800335459950563804_o (resized).jpg

There are 287 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 5 years ago

I see your pink nightmare and raise you this pink nightmare. Found a great topper for it as well.

Quoted from Cdemuro:

Found this on Craigslist.
    [quoted image]

31092113_1923943804342561_2309078047300517888_n (resized).jpg31092113_1923943804342561_2309078047300517888_n (resized).jpgtopper (resized).jpgtopper (resized).jpg
    #102 5 years ago

The Tron looks sweet. I might agree on EM's, but even that pink one doesn't look bad.

Like i said, I guarantee you they'd have done this years ago if if cost wasn't an issue. Well, maybe not because the majority of these things were in bars and arcades where it would get beaten and the pain chipped off, but for home use, you see that it is happening.

Also, that AFM is the remake right that came with the green?

#103 5 years ago

Responsible powder coating is possible

Gun-Handles (resized).jpgGun-Handles (resized).jpg
    #104 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Responsible powder coating is possible

agreed

#105 5 years ago

pastels and neon should be avoided at all costs

#106 5 years ago

BRONZER

6-Colors-Brighten-Pigments-Glitter-Powder-Contour-Palette-Shimmer-Face-Bronzer-Highlighter-Glow-Palette-for-Dark.jpg_640x640 (re6-Colors-Brighten-Pigments-Glitter-Powder-Contour-Palette-Shimmer-Face-Bronzer-Highlighter-Glow-Palette-for-Dark.jpg_640x640 (reBarry-M-After-Glow-Bronzer-424604 (resized).jpgBarry-M-After-Glow-Bronzer-424604 (resized).jpg

Mod edit: Photos removed, please do not use someones photos without the owners permission.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Also, that AFM is the remake right that came with the green?

Don't try to talk yourself into being OK. It looks like shit and OGs didn't look like that.

#108 5 years ago

I'm blue da ba dee da ba daa
    Da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa
    Da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa

8360119198_23934c250c_k (resized).jpg8360119198_23934c250c_k (resized).jpg8360119510_54dfdafcf1_k (resized).jpg8360119510_54dfdafcf1_k (resized).jpg
    #109 5 years ago

Who you callin' yella?

e3e66fb006185bcaa5527bcb5facdcfe (resized).jpege3e66fb006185bcaa5527bcb5facdcfe (resized).jpegmaxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg
    #110 5 years ago

And finally, this MINTY FRESH Scared Stiff

scared_stiff_green_powder_coat_480x480 (resized).jpgscared_stiff_green_powder_coat_480x480 (resized).jpg

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpegGUEST_d529c1af-c8c8-4982-a8d9-113f64e5b272 (resized).jpegGUEST_d529c1af-c8c8-4982-a8d9-113f64e5b272 (resized).jpeg
    #111 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't like it don't read it. Whom the fuck are you to tell people what to post? He never said they couldn't do it, just that they look like shit, which they do.
    Or are you a ray of sunshine now?

Three things:
    It's Who not Whom.

Perhaps you need to stop being a troll Odin. Good lord. I never made comments about other people's powder coating. I simply asked for advice.
    That's pretty scary. Time to crawl back in your hole doing more research on the old interweb. Lol.

#112 5 years ago

Sorry ThE Law, I didn't finish.
    Second: I personally try not to talk sh*t about other people's powder coating but I'm certainly not perfect. I'm not telling you what to say, by all means if you want to say things look like sh*t, go for it. I just don't think it's very nice.
    Third: I appreciate you calling me a ray of sunshine. I'll take that as a compliment!

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

And finally, this MINTY FRESH Scared Stiff
    [quoted image]

Thanks for the photos Pacman. Please post more! Great thread!

Okay I guess I'm being the troll now. Lol.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Who you callin' yella?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I love it,

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Primed and ready for.. oh wait.
    [quoted image]

I dunno - I like the contrast of the white powdercoat on a nearly all black cabinet. Maybe that's just me.

#116 5 years ago

Ok. Enough..
    Time for puppy pics.

IMG_20181105_192232232 (resized).jpgIMG_20181105_192232232 (resized).jpg
    #117 5 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Haha. I’m not a fan of powder coating at all. Especially when the coin door matches the legs and the rails. I do like my hobbit though. It’s subtle.

Quoted from kcZ:

Agree... Coin door matching the legs is just awful in every version.

Oh well. So much for visiting my gameroom then.
    DSC03859 (resized).JPGDSC03859 (resized).JPG

#118 5 years ago

I think if someone powdercoats their machine, then as long as they like it, why the fuss?

Everything in life now is about modding and custom.

So to each their own. Say something nice, or don’t say anything.

Plus, similar to speakers, I think powdercoat is “relative” to what the owner likes. May not be for everyone, but hey it’s their machine, do with it what you will!!

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I kind of like my coin doors and legs to match. Maybe it's just me judging by this thread.
    [quoted image]

No, I agree. Especially from factory. They usually don’t do the coin door to save money, but dammit. Do the coin door too if you are going to do the legs and rails. ☺️

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Ok. Enough..
    Time for puppy pics.
    [quoted image]

I see your puppy pic and raise you a sleeping puppy with no shame

20181117_225145 (resized).jpg20181117_225145 (resized).jpg

#121 5 years ago

Ew. This Tron is 10 shades too dark.

Screenshot_20181211-231011_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181211-231011_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #122 5 years ago

I actually thought that Tron was one of the best looking ones in this thread, but i'm not known for my good taste or savvy stylings.

#123 5 years ago

Its funny , I like most of the Powder coating jobs here. Sure a few of them are a little ridiculous, like the tri-color Simpsons, but who cares. I am a little confused ?? If I see a powdercoat job I like, do I upvote OR downvote the pic. Am I agreeing that I like , the dislike in this thread?? Red on a monopoly looks great, not everything looks good in Stainless Steel Or Black. Matching some basic colors in the artwork seems like the norm, what else would you suggest....lemme guess black or stainless, gimmee a break. Even the factory green trim on AFMle is getting banged, why ?

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from flipper_fever76:

I actually thought that Tron was one of the best looking ones in this thread, but i'm not known for my good taste or savvy stylings.

I was just teasing. It belongs to the OP. Though I do think it should have been the brighter blue "glow" tron is know.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

Its funny , I like most of the Powder coating jobs here. Sure a few of them are a little ridiculous, like the tri-color Simpsons, but who cares. I am a little confused ?? If I see a powdercoat job I like, do I upvote OR downvote the pic. Am I agreeing that I like , the dislike in this thread?? Red on a monopoly looks great, not everything looks good in Stainless Steel Or Black. Matching some basic colors in the artwork seems like the norm, what else would you suggest....lemme guess black or stainless, gimmee a break. Even the factory green trim on AFMle is getting banged, why ?

I love my green AFMr, and dare I say, I also like that scared stiff...

also, KnockerPTSD that pup is adorkable...

#126 5 years ago

Someone needs to start a thread showing the most radioactive pin pics. I'm not sure why some feel the need to make every square inch of their game glow with LED's. I agree, you can do anything you want to your own game....just don't ask for my opinion. The same goes for some of these color choices for trim.

#127 5 years ago

The Williams games look odd to me when you don't paint the edge of the backbox to match the powder coating, or on the Stern's when the T-molding isn't swapped out to match.

I'm not big on it, but some of them shown are nicely done. Some.....not so much.

#128 5 years ago

I say do what you want it's your game but also don't get bent out of shape and take personally if someone says it looks like crap.

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

Its funny , I like most of the Powder coating jobs here.

I like most of them as well. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

#130 5 years ago

They all look perfectly fine.

People who rag on things that other people like are just bullies and trolls.

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rasavage:

I like most of them as well. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Yes most of them are fine, the pink Dirty Harry and a handful of others were shit shows though.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Someone needs to start a thread showing the most radioactive pin pics. I'm not sure why some feel the need to make every square inch of their game glow with LED's.

Come on Bryan...You already know that was done! Plenty of curmudgeons in there. 71 pages of bullshit. I stay away these days...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails

#133 5 years ago

Don't powder coat!

Don't install LEDs!

And ... GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

#134 5 years ago

There's a seat for every ass.
    Not fond of fluor looking powdercoat but like the right color green on ghostbusters a nice dark red on iron man,
    And that tron looks sick!

Bad taste is a form of taste

#135 5 years ago

Let us never forget the MMr "Gold" that looked like diaper mustard.

MMGoldtoBrown (resized).jpgMMGoldtoBrown (resized).jpg
    #136 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Come on Bryan...You already know that was done! Plenty of curmudgeons in there. 71 pages of bullshit. I stay away these days...
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails

I'm aware of that one. I'm talking about the LED mods you can install on/in/under the cabinet. I recently saw a WOZ pic where the whole f'ing game glowed green. F'ing green, I tell you!!

#137 5 years ago

Topics like this fuel the over growing negativity around here and give Pinside a bad reputation. Drain...

#138 5 years ago

[pictures of things painted colors]

[pictures of other things with similar colors]

HILARIOUS, RITE?

#139 5 years ago

I remember the days when only operators and establishment owners actually owned the machines, and modifications were the initials someone carved in the side of the cabinet, and the cigarette burn marks on the wood rails.

Making a machine your own is a personal thing. Be forewarned if you share it online and it looks like Disney wiped his ass with it, Pinside is going to make fun of it and rightly so.

If people don't like negativity, well they better get over it because you can't have positivity without it. At least in the electronic world of pinball.

Opinions are what they are. If you don't want to hear opposing ones, you are in the wrong place and wrong hobby.

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'm aware of that one. I'm talking about the LED mods you can install on/in/under the cabinet. I recently saw a WOZ pic where the whole f'ing game glowed green. F'ing green, I tell you!!

Haha. I’ll give you the powder coating and interactive undercab lighting all in one shot on my BSD for this thread!!! And lighted flip buttons and illuminated lenticular apron card!

F67FD221-B179-4426-8739-456A090C8714 (resized).jpegF67FD221-B179-4426-8739-456A090C8714 (resized).jpeg04384CC6-6841-414B-B0B6-DDDD9E29802A (resized).jpeg04384CC6-6841-414B-B0B6-DDDD9E29802A (resized).jpeg9C88B3B7-A550-4BB1-A3CB-653D5FBB3690 (resized).jpeg9C88B3B7-A550-4BB1-A3CB-653D5FBB3690 (resized).jpeg3BA72557-A790-47F8-B6C6-44B07390626B (resized).jpeg3BA72557-A790-47F8-B6C6-44B07390626B (resized).jpegB757BD24-12CC-44CB-8318-4D89B37BAF8A (resized).jpegB757BD24-12CC-44CB-8318-4D89B37BAF8A (resized).jpeg
    #141 5 years ago

I actually really like the Skateball in the OP. I think that orange looks awesome, especially with the matching skateboard topper, star posts, pop bumpers, and backbox trim. It coordinates with one of the complementing colors in the game. My second favorite would be the Tron. I don't think it's "too dark" at all. Going lighter would have made it less tasteful, IMHO. Then again, I also like the original black, so not sure where that leave us.

#142 5 years ago

Your TRON LE looks sweet! Very tastefully done and the colors actually work. Not sure about the TRON logo laser cutting. Maybe it could use a few more

Quoted from SuperPinball:

I think we should be clear that powdercoating is not necessarily a bad thing and can enhance the look and feel of a game. After all there is a reason why LE's have it and people pay top dollar for it. I do agree that in some cases, the colors are way out of wack with the game and diminish the look of the game. I personally love the look and feel of powdercoating on my Bally/Williams but I absolutely draw the line with powdercoatind EM's and classic Sterns and Bally's. They need to stay original to keep their charm.
    I bought a Tron LE a few years back that had that ugly orange powdercoating on it and I couldn't stand looking at it every time I played it. I finally decided to re-chrome and powdercoat in blue clear over it to give it an electric look. I like it better than standard chrome and way better than that orange. If tastefully done, powdercoating can enhance but done wrong can really take away from the game. Here's my TRON LE.[quoted image]

7df51e9526092d4d212b08d5ea5bcfab6f294abc (resized).jpg7df51e9526092d4d212b08d5ea5bcfab6f294abc (resized).jpg
    #143 5 years ago

AWESOME! You have my respect for waltzing right into the lions den.

Quoted from Colsond3:

Haha. I’ll give you the powder coating and interactive undercab lighting all in one shot on my BSD for this thread!!! And lighted flip buttons and illuminated lenticular apron card!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I remember the days when only operators and establishment owners actually owned the machines, and modifications were the initials someone carved in the side of the cabinet, and the cigarette burn marks on the wood rails.

Me too. So?

Quoted from Bublehead:

Making a machine your own is a personal thing. Be forewarned if you share it online and it looks like Disney wiped his ass with it, Pinside is going to make fun of it and rightly so.

I'm confused, is it puke or is it shit? Although using either one says more about the person making the comparison than it does about the thing being compared.

Quoted from Bublehead:

If people don't like negativity, well they better get over it because you can't have positivity without it. At least in the electronic world of pinball.

False equivalence, just because electricity needs both positive and negative to work doesn't mean anyone has to be a dick.

Quoted from Bublehead:

Opinions are what they are. If you don't want to hear opposing ones, you are in the wrong place and wrong hobby.

No, you are on the wrong website. Pinside strives to keep things positive. They try, anyway.

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Me too. So?

I'm confused, is it puke or is it shit? Although using either one says more about the person making the comparison than it does about the thing being compared.

False equivalence, just because electricity needs both positive and negative to work doesn't mean anyone has to be a dick.

No, you are on the wrong website. Pinside strives to keep things positive. They try, anyway.

So I'm not the only one who tries to avoid reading from the holy buble

#146 5 years ago

As much as these kind of topics make me cringe to read I feel they do serve some general purpose.

When I first came into this hobby a few years ago everybody was saying use LEDs but without the disclaimer- using all color Leds for general illumination of the playfield & backbox looks like shit. Luckily I found the No rainbow puke thread and was shown many great examples of what not to do.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

. Maybe it could use a few more
    [quoted image]

Haha! Jesus that is bad.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Someone needs to start a thread showing the most radioactive pin pics. I'm not sure why some feel the need to make every square inch of their game glow with LED's

Ok I'll get us started. I checked and led's are definitely radioactive. The more that light up the shorter your lifespan.

IMG_4824 (resized).JPGIMG_4824 (resized).JPG
    #149 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Someone needs to start a thread showing the most radioactive pin pics. I'm not sure why some feel the need to make every square inch of their game glow with LED's. I agree, you can do anything you want to your own game....just don't ask for my opinion. The same goes for some of these color choices for trim.

You need to check in over here. Warning, put your sunglasses or welding helmet on before clicking...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-removers-club-getting-rid-of-mods-one-machine-at-a-time/page/3#post-3734634

#150 5 years ago
    Pink tron (resized).pngPink tron (resized).png
    There are 287 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-powder-coating-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-powder-fails/page/3?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.