Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Fytr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Even if all Keith does is consult on the rules for games it should be a major win.
    Nobody has chopped more wood on boring, repetitive rules than he has in his life. He also seems to have a pretty keen idea of what is fun fun vs competition fun from what I can tell, which is good.

Upvote for this part, meh on the rest

Keep in mind this opinion is from a coder (me)--coders are creative types by nature, I find. Most coders I know aren't just people who sit down and write code like Milton, or something--slide rule in hand. Most I've met in my career are also artists and musicians. If you're thinking of people who write code as just code monkeys or maybe offshore resources who get paid 1/3 of the going rate to write boilerplate code, then maybe that line of thinking works. At the end of the day, good coders are generally very creative folks.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I'm an old coder by trade as well, and manage coders now.
    There is a big difference between letting the coders decide *how* to implement a solution vs. letting/making them define the problem as well.

Of course.

Not saying that there aren't coders who are also great rules designers at all, but if you want to produce great games efficiently without code lagging months behind schedule, separation of duties makes sense. It's like producing a hot indie video game vs. the next AAA giant release that has to ship on a schedule, and has to be "good".

Not sure you're going to get the best coders on good projects if all you need from them is code. I would guess Lyman stays on as a coder at Stern not because he gets to write code; but because he gets to implement his rules. What I mean by this is that by separating rules writing from coding you potentially end up with people just looking for a paycheck type of coders, and a few guys with big ideas.

When a coder/rule writer has a good idea, it can keep him/her motivated to see the code through. Of course, we see that this can bog down for someone like Lyman (who likely has several projects in the air at the same time).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-posts-about-kme-working-for-stern?tu=chadderack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.