Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by illawarra92
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

My Gottlieb Universe just developed a problem.
None of the playfield lights are working although all of the features on the playfield ARE working (i.e. flippers, bumpers, targets etc).

I checked fuses and all 3 seem to be ok.
I have recently ordered the schematic but I don't have this in hand at the moment.

For the last few days the lights would go out when I nudged too hard , but they would always come right back on.
Now they are off all of the time.

Give me some ideas of what I should look for.

thanks.

#2 2 years ago

Check the 6 volt lead at the transformer, check the connection at the play field light fuse. Are the contacts at the fuse block clean and bright?

#3 2 years ago

Some kind of fault in the ground line or GI line, loose connection somewhere especially since you said when you nudged.

If you use an alligator clip jumper from the playfield fuse block one of the GI bulbs do they all come back on? (NOT unit-controller bulbs as this would not work properly if the unit isn't on that bulb) Make sure you put it on the correct lead as to not cause a direct short. Also remember to use the fused side of the fuse block.

#4 2 years ago

playdium Not sure which is the 6 volt lead but all connections at the transformer and playfield light fuse look good and clean.

#5 2 years ago

otaku Is there a way to tell which is the fused side of the fuse block? How do I determine which lead is the correct one?
BTW, the lights are back working again... Various things seem to make them go off / on. So it must be something loose or a short...

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from SevenHorses:

otaku Is there a way to tell which is the fused side of the fuse block? How do I determine which lead is the correct one?
BTW, the lights are back working again... Various things seem to make them go off / on. So it must be something loose or a short...

One side should match the color of the 6V playfield wiring going to the transformer, that is the unfused side of course. Your mileage may vary but it should match, but I have seen it not match as well. Easiest well to tell it to remove the fuse and measure voltage on each side of the fuse block using ground on the transformer.

#7 2 years ago

This sounds like a Jones Plug.

#8 2 years ago

maybe chk the game over relay, and the tilt relay???

#9 2 years ago

had the same problem with my universe..was the fuse holder not making proper contact to the fuse ends.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 93.00
$ 159.00
$ 104.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 229.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 131.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 9,500.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Great American Pinball
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 99.95
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside