BBB seat (resized).jpeg
BBB stool (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20180521-192822_Gallery (resized).jpg
MBR (resized).png
IMG_1458 (resized).JPG
FB_IMG_1525466881325 (resized).jpg
C02F6C27-860A-42B6-8951-00CF0128890A (resized).png
d80508fcca2fb05aa0bd7d652f396ec7 (resized).jpg
There are 1,085 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 22.
#451 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerryuop:

Most of the top machines are licensed or have some licensed elements to them. Does this mean the machines with licenses are always better? Not in my opinion, but I bet that a loved license adds to the perceived amazingness of some of these games.
I just feel like an unlicensed game, all else being equal, puts itself at a disadvantage to well-known themes and titles. If I was a company and trying to sell these games to consumers, a good license would seem to be essential.

This is thinking from the more recent age of licensed-only pins. Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars are all-time greats and best-sellers that have stood the test of time, and they are totally original. I applaud JJP for trying some unlicensed pins in the mix to wean players off the need for recognition to play a game (and if they succeed, higher profits for JJP due to no license fees).

#452 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Jack just re-upped the license last year for WoZ. He said he'll be making it "forever" and I don't disagree...

I just picked up a rrwoz and wow... it's amazing and i can c y its still selling well. Just mad i waited so long lol... but at least all the kinks are worked out.

#453 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

bring back ECLE!!!

They can't... WOZECLE was limited to 1,000

#454 6 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

They can't... WOZECLE was limited to 1,000

A witch-themed black cabinet WoZWW edition might be pretty cool...

#455 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is thinking from the more recent age of licensed-only pins. Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars are all-time greats and best-sellers that have stood the test of time, and they are totally original. I applaud JJP for trying some unlicensed pins in the mix to wean players off the need for recognition to play a game (and if they succeed, higher profits for JJP due to no license fees).

all of this, plus, there's a limited number of themes that work as a measurable net positive for a game long-term. There are a whole lot more licensed themes where after a few years you're like "oh, haha, i vaguely remember that was a movie..." like Demolition Man, Shadow, or Congo than there are Star Wars and Iron Man.

#456 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I would love for some instant classics to come out. I agree, they are needed in the mix. I guess I just wasn’t super thrilled with the DI theme, although the game plays great. I wish I could be more excited about it.

#457 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerryuop:

I would love for some instant classics to come out. I agree, they are needed in the mix. I guess I just wasn’t super thrilled with the DI theme, although the game plays great. I wish I could be more excited about it.

They could have sold much more simply by having a sexy woman instead of a dude stuck in the 90's with his shirt tucked into his pants. I really hope these pinball manufacturers don't cave to the politically correct pressures of recent years and not give us that eye candy that many pinheads like. Well at least Stern is holding out with Luci and Whoa Nellie.

#458 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerryuop:

I’m probably wrong on the numbers, but the point still stands. Theoretically, Dialed In should sell more than Star Wars because it is simply a better game. If JJP made the Star Wars game at the same quality level as Dialed In, all else being equal, Star Wars would sell better every time.
I’ve been to multiple arcades, barcases, and private houses with pinball machines. In my, admittedly small sample size, I’ve seen Star Wars machines in almost every instance and only 1 instance of Dialed In.
Look at the top 100 pins. Most of the top machines are licensed or have some licensed elements to them. Does this mean the machines with licenses are always better? Not in my opinion, but I bet that a loved license adds to the perceived amazingness of some of these games.
I just feel like an unlicensed game, all else being equal, puts itself at a disadvantage to well-known themes and titles. If I was a company and trying to sell these games to consumers, a good license would seem to be essential.

As a contrast to your small sample size, my small sample size (although I do travel a lot and make every effort to hit local Barcades or bars with pins if possible) sees just about as many DIs as SW, and more than SWLEs. Same goes for personal collections, I know several people with DIs in their homes, only a couple with SW (either version). This is all just noise and not at all evidence of sales numbers, however I think that the price point of a SW Pro makes considerably more attractive to a true operator than DI Standard or LE (although all the DIs I've seen have been LEs so far).

As for licensed versus unlicensed, I think there is plenty of room in the current, booming, market for a great non-licensed theme. I don't really like the DI theme at all but the game is a lot of fun to play, I do agree that a more compelling theme would improve sales numbers, licensed or not.

#459 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

They could have sold much more simply by having a sexy woman instead of a dude stuck in the 90's with his shirt tucked into his pants. I really hope these pinball manufacturers don't cave to the politically correct pressures of recent years and not give us that eye candy that many pinheads like. Well at least Stern is holding out with Luci and Whoa Nellie.

Wow anything that’s not overtly sexist is a product of political correctness? That’s an incredibly misogynistic point of view.

I guess there will always be a segment of this hobby intent on being stuck in the past, no matter how ugly.

#460 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

I think that is probably true back in the day - but now, I could not possibly give less of a crap if there's a sexy woman on there. I (personally) care if the game is *fun*. That's not being "PC" (that doesn't mean anything), it's smart business. Why turn off the potential female and married buyers? Many (most?) of us are married and middle-aged now - I don't personally buy things based on whether or not there's a sexy lady on the cover! lol I would never buy a Nellie (so many vintage games are available) , but I would buy a very fun, packed NIB game - like DI or Houdini. Ok, MAYBE Maybe Elvira 3 ...

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Wow anything that’s not overtly sexist is a product of political correctness? That’s an incredibly misogynistic point of view.
I guess there will always be a segment of this hobby intent on being stuck in the past, no matter how ugly.

****ROLLS EYES****

#462 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

That's not what I am saying at all but you are suggesting that because I prefer to look at beautiful women that I'm stuck in the past and misogynistic. I think you need to holster that gun there partner. I am a middle aged man that has been into pinball since the mid 70's. I have a wife and daughters as well as several female staff that are all treated with the utmost respect. At the end of a hectic day, I head down into my basement to play some pinball and want to forget life for awhile. So its a misogynistic view because I prefer to look at beautiful women on backglasses and playfields. Its misogynistic because I prefer to rescue a "beautiful" princess instead of an ugly one or a dude. Pez I am a man and proud of it. Sorry if it doesn't agree with your more "advanced" way of thinking.

#463 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

FD81CCFB-F7CC-4041-B03A-CF672D66639F (resized).jpegFD81CCFB-F7CC-4041-B03A-CF672D66639F (resized).jpeg

#464 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Jesus man, give it a rest. We get it, your uptight about any and everything. You must be a real joy in person.

#465 6 years ago

So most of us are on the BBB remake list...

#466 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

So most of us are on the BBB remake list...

ONLY if the backglass has a beautiful babe with GIGANTIC knockers!

#467 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

spit out my coffee on this one!

#468 6 years ago

BBB and the newer Playboy machines are great and even my wife wants a Playboy, but we agreed it would be awkward to have family over for such tacky themes (and we own South Park). Should these machines be made? Absolutely. Will people complain because they are situational? Still a yes.

Back to the remakes, my wife and I are planning on buying a Theatre of Magic this summer. Should we hold off now that it's going to be remade? Will the value drop on the old one drastically when the new one comes out? Also, is it possible to get a player grade one for around $4500?

#469 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#470 6 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

BBB and the newer Playboy machines are great and even my wife wants a Playboy, but we agreed it would be awkward to have family over for such tacky themes (and we own South Park). Should these machines be made? Absolutely. Will people complain because they are situational? Still a yes.
Back to the remakes, my wife and I are planning on buying a Theatre of Magic this summer. Should we hold off now that it's going to be remade? Will the value drop on the old one drastically when the new one comes out? Also, is it possible to get a player grade one for around $4500?

Go original!!!

#471 6 years ago

I have Xenon and never think twice about having it on when family and kids are over, chances are they see / hear way worse than that on prime-time TV these days.

As for TOM/TOMR, I have absolutely no idea what will be remade next or when but general speculation has TOM down the line a ways so it may depend on how patient you are. I don't see many under $5K but don't really see them listed at or above $8K regularly like MM and AFM were before the remakes came out.

#472 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerryuop:

But they're not always instant classics. Williams cut Medieval Madness manufacture short because they thought Cirqus Voltaire was going to be the hot pin. It wasn't. It wasn't clear what they had until a little later. Sometimes it takes time and perspective to appreciate something great.

#473 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Do you ever quit? Is this what goes through your mind ALL the time, being the ever present PITA SJW? Maybe worry about your own shit and let others worry about theirs.

#474 6 years ago

What does this have to do with mbr being next?

#475 6 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

What does this have to do with mbr being next?

Well, the "Bride" of Frankenstein is a symbol of Patriarchy, of course.

#476 6 years ago

Assuming the upcoming title is *NOT* ToM, there is no way I would wait. The ToM remake is likely 3 years out if it even happens (CC/BBB/MB are the next rumored victims). And no, the value of the old one will not drop value "drastically" as this is not a title that is extremely overpriced.

Buy an original and enjoy it. If you buy a remake, it's guaranteed to take a price drop as soon as you open the box.

#477 6 years ago

The next title is mbr, what am I missing? Are we trying to guess what comes after that? That could very well be tomr. If an original theme is being made I'd vote for one with lots of knockers

schwing!!! (resized).pngschwing!!! (resized).png

knockers (resized).pngknockers (resized).png

#478 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

(CC/BBB/MB are the next rumored victims). .

I need to know the order please.

1 week later
#479 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Go original!!!

If PPS improves the code, you can keep overpriced original (whatever the game)

#480 6 years ago

If PPS improves the code, you can keep overpriced original (whatever the game)

It will depend on how much the code is improved. They'll need to release a file description of any additions or improvements to see how it stacks up.

#481 6 years ago

My question is when PPS remakes a title like Monster Bash, do they still sell the cabinet decals for $289.00?
I think there cost on a quantity of say 2500 is much lower than the quantity of what they require before a remake....
Or is this just wishful thinking...

#482 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Assuming the upcoming title is *NOT* ToM, there is no way I would wait. The ToM remake is likely 3 years out if it even happens (CC/BBB/MB are the next rumored victims). And no, the value of the old one will not drop value "drastically" as this is not a title that is extremely overpriced.
Buy an original and enjoy it. If you buy a remake, it's guaranteed to take a price drop as soon as you open the box.

I think this is todays wisdom! I am doubting the long term value and quality of the remakes. As soon as the remake comes out, jump on all the great originals at good prices.

#483 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I think this is todays wisdom! I am doubting the long term value and quality of the remakes. As soon as the remake comes out, jump on all the great originals at good prices.

I am starting to think this way as well

#484 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I am starting to think this way as well

except BBB...the only one i'm considering to buy with a polished code.

#485 6 years ago

except BBB...the only one i'm considering to buy with a polished code.

I own a BBB and never thought the code was unfinished. What needs to be addressed?

#486 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I own a BBB and never thought the code was unfinished. What needs to be addressed?

In my opinion, some mods are weak.

#487 6 years ago

Ah. I thought you meant unfinished. Going through the entire game and playing it for 11 years, the modes seem pretty complete compared to recent titles out there. Solid game IMO.

#488 6 years ago

The question is if PPS remakes a game with a polished code, will they also propose an updated rom for original?

#489 6 years ago

The question is if PPS remakes a game with a polished code, will they also propose an updated rom for original?

Boy wouldn’t that be an interesting way to have it both ways. The remakes use a completely different codebase and CPU though; this may be difficult. Although I’ve heard there is some emulation afoot, so maybe it’s not too far out of reach..

#490 6 years ago

Did they do any updates for AFM or MM? I can see PPS trying to acquire the CCC if/when they decide for the remake. The work is already done there.

#491 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Did they do any updates for AFM or MM? I can see PPS trying to acquire the CCC if/when they decide for the remake. The work is already done there.

AFM and mM codes are completed, no improvement needed.
This is not the same for CC and BBB. I’m also sure that Tom and totan owners would love to get an updates.
CCC is not in the feeling of original game, that is what I can hear here and there

#492 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Apparently CCC won't happen for a variety of reasons, but there is material in it that would require rights to be acquired or be reworked, like some of tribute modes, the cowboys vs. aliens music, etc.

Having spent some time with CCC tho, I gotta say it is the only way to have CC, and I'd be shocked if they came up with anything better. Cowboys vs. Aliens is a hoot, Marshall Multiball is really fun, and the additions actually all fit in pretty seamlessly and feel like they're supposed to be there.

#493 6 years ago

I see what some guys complain about the code but BBB is hard to finish without continue play credits involved , all modes are fun IMO even though they're short/easy to sense , it's the point of the BBB game : fun and awesome looks to it ( not to mention the black light unique feature and all these diverters and that very special lighted ramp and all the funny quotes )

#494 6 years ago

This is not the same for CC and BBB. I’m also sure that Tom and totan owners would love to get an updates.
CCC is not in the feeling of original game, that is what I can hear here and there

No it's not, It's far better! The original software is a Dead End! The feeling of the original game is incomplete!

#495 6 years ago

CC's code was definitely incomplete wit no match animation, or music when you enter your initials. CCC is incredible all be it that you need a pc/laptop to run it. Lloyd could probably chime in but that was never the case for BBB.

#496 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Mostly minor stuff. The Happy Hour mode has a bug where the lights stop blinking after a few seconds while the mode isn't finished. The game could also benefit from no longer allowing to run/start several modes at the same time. It would also help if it had an auto plunger, or 4 switches in the plunger lane to detect balls, to prevent from cheating the wizard mode (by stacking balls in the plunger lane and not shooting them into play). There may be more, but this I recall from the top of my head.

2 weeks later
#497 6 years ago

so...and the winner will be?

#498 6 years ago

All of us!

#499 6 years ago

MBr seems to be the consensus. That’s what I’m hoping for too. We shall soon see!

#500 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

MBr seems to be the consensus. That’s what I’m hoping for too. We shall soon see!

Yep this is what I hear now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 75.00
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
There are 1,085 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-more-speculation-planetary-pinball-to-remake-mb-bbb-tom-and-cc/page/10?hl=dee-bow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.