Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 215 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by navajas
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

popcorn.gif
    lol-pinsiders.gif
    jazbo.jpg
    image-34.jpg
    D.U..jpg
    Bourbon Candied Bacon-001.JPG
    image-3 (1).jpg
    Backglass.jpg
    123.jpg
    dyne.jpg
    dyn o mite.jpg
    wutang_sale.jpg
    Hiero_logo.JPG
    staythirsty.jpg
    base_cats1.jpg
    0001099019_500_copy.jpg
    There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 10 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Metallica: "Creeping Death" - "Die by my hand, I creep across the land, Killing first born man"

Of course, Creeping Death is a song about one of Mose's plagues from the Bible/Qur'an.

Appealing to Jews, Muslims and Christians alike.

#202 10 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

How about Guns N Roses? Their songs run the gamut of all the above, and then some. Some lyrics from "My Michelle": "She used to love her heroin, But now she's underground. So you stay out late at night, And you do your coke for free" ..or "Welcome to the Jungle" - "Welcome to the jungle, Watch it bring you to your, knees, knees, I wanna watch you bleed"

Not to mention the rape album cover.

#203 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

And before psychedelic rock no one wore bell bottoms, which are ridiculous too. Youth fashion is about rebelling and pissing off elders. Let's face it, Pinside is full of elders.
    I have no idea where I fall on the age spectrum here, I'm 36, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out I'm on the left side of the bell curve.
    It's also important to look at where things come from. Baggy pants falling off your ass didn't start as a fashion statement, it was about poverty. Mothers would buy kids their pants two sizes too big so they'd last longer (wouldn't grow out of them fast). The the street finds its own uses for things, always does, and it became a fashion statement.
    What's vital about that story is that rap doesn't spawn violence, or drugs. Poverty does. You don't sell dope on the corner because it's cool or fun, you do it because you're desperate, and the ghetto doesn't afford much in opportunities. Father figures are scarce, and options are few. The lyrics reflect the reality, not the other way around. That doesn't make some people comfortable. We should be ranting about the conditions so many kids grow up in, not the music it generates.
    Of course, all of this is predicated on painting all rap with the same broad brush, which is f-ing stupid, it's like deciding that all rock should be judged on the merits of death metal. Now I love me some death metal, don't get me wrong, I'd rather listen to Morbid Angel than AC/DC any day of the week, but that doesn't mean they should all be lumped together. That's just ignorance. Which this thread is sadly full of.
    So before you open your mouth (or hit your keyboard) stop for a second, and make sure you know WTF you're talking about. Because frankly some people in here sound like the same Tipper Gore loving morons who castigated Metallica as devil worshipers and ranted about backwards records and satanic ritual killings and all the other stupid stuff we all know was garbage. Metallica made some great music while Cliff was still alive. I'd put Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets in any top 100 album list. They fell off after he died, but still, not many bands make two albums that great. Even if ignorant people hated on it. Think about it.

First off, I must apologize. I know this thread isn't supposed to be about the race wars and I should not have added fuel to the fire. I'm sure the way I feel about rap is the same way my dad felt about rock when I was growing up. Thirty years from now rap may seem as harmless as the hair bands do now. As far as buying a rap pin, I'd be just as likely to buy a Beethoven pin.

#204 10 years ago
    Quoted from juanton:

As far as buying a rap pin, I'd be just as likely to buy a Beethoven pin.

Hey, that's fine. I'm sure some people would like a Garth Brooks pin. I'd never drop into their thread and rant about how much I hated country and what a bunch of stupid rednecks listen to it, blah blah. That would be ignorant and disrespectful. This is supposed to be all in fun, but the fun vanishes pretty fast when people start getting ugly.

#205 10 years ago
    Quoted from juanton:

I'd be just as likely to buy a Beethoven pin.

I'd be up for a Beethoven pin if done well. One of my friends is a freemason, so I'm planning on doing a pin based on freemasonry. Complete three simple modes and then all of a sudden the modes on the playfield become visible. Just need some way of rendering text on the inserts and scrambling them so you don't know what they are. Makes me wonder how much reliance on existing licenses impedes innovation.

#206 10 years ago
    Quoted from swf127:

I'd be up for a Beethoven pin if done well. One of my friends is a freemason, so I'm planning on doing a pin based on freemasonry. Complete three simple modes and then all of a sudden the modes on the playfield become visible. Just need some way of rendering text on the inserts and scrambling them so you don't know what they are. Makes me wonder how much reliance on existing licenses impedes innovation.

How would the Freemasons feel about that? I thought they were a pretty secretive bunch?

#207 10 years ago

I don't really listen to rap but I think a rap pin would be a huge hit on location.

#208 10 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I don't really listen to rap but I think a rap pin would be a huge hit on location.

Yeah, especially with white girls. For the record, you should not have to be Tosh to poke fun at other races. I make fun of white people way more than I do the other races.

#209 10 years ago
    Quoted from juanton:

How would the Freemasons feel about that? I thought they were a pretty secretive bunch?

I suppose it would depend on whether it contained anything they consider secret, I guess. The whole notion of "modes of recognition" being mapped onto pinball modes occurred to me.. I figured I'd re-purpose a DE Star Trek playfield.... maybe change the dilithium crystal triangle in the center.. Dunno.

#210 10 years ago

There's rap, and there's rap.

#211 10 years ago
    Quoted from juanton:

As far as buying a rap pin, I'd be just as likely to buy a Beethoven pin.

I like rap and Beethoven so I better start saving. How about Rachmaninoff?

#212 10 years ago
    Quoted from DEN:

but now i want hiphop/rap tabels.
    Yaw yaaaw

No.

-Collin

#213 10 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Where exactly did Crrispy infer that one race is superior to another? So many dummies these days call just about everything "racist". Welcome to my Ignore list.

Dude, just trying to joke around and keep this topic light. Besides, IMHO EVERYONE needs to be called racist once in a while, even if unjustly. If you are never checked on your bullshit, things can get out of hand. Regardless, please ignore me. I think that will be best for everyone involved LOL

#214 10 years ago
    Quoted from swf127:

I'd be up for a Beethoven pin if done well.

Not Beethoven, but probably about as close as you can get.

http://vimeo.com/48573912

#215 10 years ago

There's rap, and there's rap.

NSFW:

There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-more-heavy-thems-i-want-rap/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.