(Topic ID: 112730)

No money down, No risk, No obligation - Reserve your P3 today!

By gstellenberg

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-318.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Just announced: P3 pre-orders are now NO money down, risk, and no obligation. Please support our efforts to deliver an incredible, progressive pinball platform and help move the industry forward.

- When we wrap up the pre-production process and start procuring parts and preparing for full production, we'll ask you to send in payment for your machine. We believe you'll all be blown away by our production machine, but if you're not and want to drop out, simply don't pay us at that time and your order will be automatically cancelled.

First off, this is a great idea, and I'm looking forward to it coming out. Who knows, maybe one will even be in my basement at some point. Love the potential.

However... Despite the no obligation NOW idea, this is a little misleading unless I'm missing something. This is so you can obtain a pre-order'ish base to show investors, but despite the marketing of no risk, there is really right, as you are starting to require payment prior to the game being complete, which really is the same as every other manufacturer out there now, you've just deferred the date for payment (which has been done with some of them as well previously).

Most of them that are in hot water have a machine, that has long had parts and is ready for production, just as you would be when asking for money, but that is when the issues of it all coming together falls apart. THAT is where the risky part is, and your plan has the same inherent possible problems.

To me, you are still in the same boat as the usual pre-order boutique group that everywhere is saying they won't do again. Even Skit-B deferred payment requirement for a long time as well, and had a pre-order no risk idea like you did for a long time, and look what is going on there.

This of course has no bearing on what you will accomplish, and maybe you are 100% on cue, great game, no issues, in the same boat as Spooky. But this is getting perceived as a "fresh" look to the current troubling other boutique things going on, and really, I see it as the same thing in the end, and with all the history lessons now learned, that makes anything new wanting money before the game is ready very questionable and risky in my books.

Furthermore, are the investors being made aware of the fact that your pre-order model is being set up like this? Are they aware of this thread? If not, that makes that aspect seem pretty suspect as well, from their perspective, and it should be from anyone else's. I would not feel comfortable with signing up to a company that has just publicly "fooled" their investors to get past a hurdle. We are already seeing other possible suspect things coming to light with that whole Phil thread.

This isn't a swing at you, so I hope it's not interpreted that way. This is just my read of the situation, which hasn't really been addressed from anyone, and I think it's important to bring it up. I get you need the capital to move passed a phase, but the idea that has been discussed, which is a true no risk, is that the pre-order idea in it's entirety should be scrapped. I guess if people want to forgo that, and continue to sign up, well, you have your history lessons out there, and you can make that informed decision with your cash yourself.

I will say this, if you can assure me the investors are privy to what you are doing here with this pre-order, to support this great idea and pinball, I will in fact sign up, if that still helps with everything being on the table for them, but I will also most certainly drop out prior to the game being completed, if it is not at some very high level of completion, and I for sure know what I'm getting prior to payment being requested.

#90 9 years ago

- When we wrap up the pre-production process and start procuring parts and preparing for full production, we'll ask you to send in payment for your machine.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Despite the no obligation NOW idea, this is a little misleading unless I'm missing something.

I don't understand your conclusion. We're giving you the option not just to defer payment, but also to defer the decision about paying. This is truly no risk. If the time comes to pay and you don't want to pay, don't pay. It's clearly stated in the terms that your order will automatically cancel if payment isn't received within 15 days of the production payment request.

In the terms, it says "Production won't begin until after the manufacturing process is used for a pre-production build of 10-12 machines, and the pre-production machines
and manufacturing processes have been tested and certified to be production-ready."

Ok, so this is what was missing in what I read, well, what was not present in the posts, and when I noted "unless I'm missing something". It read to me that you were going to start asking for money as you were ramping up for production and securing the parts, but it wasn't clear in your first post that this was after you had completed 10-12 machines, and worked out the bugs so to speak.

Again, without that key piece of information, I perceived that you were going to start asking for money while starting to obtain the parts, prior to producing machines, and thus my comparison to other companies.

I actually find this somewhat insulting, both to us and to our investors, though I know that wasn't your intention.

So... yes, the potential investors are aware of this pre-order model. They're also aware that many people will likely drop out.

Fair enough if they are, nothing to be insulted by. I think it's a legitimate question. I would expect investors would want a solid commitment with some portion of payment, but if the interest factor is enough, then perfect.

We won't ask for your money until it's completed (software, hardware, production process, certifications, etc), and we hope to have our pre-production machines in various locations around the country (and hopefully world) for folks to play.

Again, this was another point not included previously, and I think it's a good one. You noted money would not be asked for until production was ready, but again, you had not stated that was after you had 10-12 machines ready and worked out. Again, it sounded like money would be asked for when production was nearing the start, and it sounded like (to me) like that was prior to machines being made, which again was the comparison to some other of the "boutiques".

As such, this clarifies my issues. Again, I was clear it wasn't a swing at you, and that IMO some aspects were just not clear, so I hope you see that. Given all that has gone on with other boutiques, I think everything needs to be held up to the microscope going forward, but I'm content with your answers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 20.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-money-down-no-risk-no-obligation-reserve-your-p3-today?tu=atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.