Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by nerdygrrl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a Buck Rogers and a problem. I think the local techs are trying to rob me @ $90 an hour. It powers up, lights up, even starts a game and somewhat scores . But I have no power to the flippers, bumpers, out hole, or pop bumpers. When I engage the tilt relay near the game over relay the lights on the playfield go out.

#2 9 years ago

Pull all the fuses and check them a meter. Replace any blown fuses with correct value and type.

#3 9 years ago

Going to do just that , then replace all of them with new ones . Thank you for your help cross fingers lol

#4 9 years ago

Well changed them and still nothing, did I mention that the drop targets do not reset also? Basically no power to the coils.

#5 9 years ago

I can't remember if gott's have a solenoid fuse under the playfield or not. Check around the flipper area for a single fuse by itself, probably something like a 1 or 2 amp slo-blo fuse.

#6 9 years ago

Oh you gonna love this one. Got disgusted and started fiddling with the game over relay and the tilt and boom she kicks on but she is all over the place goes from first ball to second then to third and then game over after about 10 hits.

#7 9 years ago

Start with checking the switches on the reset relay and the game over relay. kinda sounds like there is one or more maladjusted leaves, maybe to close and not opening or to big of gap and never closing, sometimes it's obvious. Again, this is much easier to do with a manual that shows the switch positions. Maybe we'll get lucky and some one that knows the order will chime in.

#8 9 years ago

Outhole SW probably have VERY small gap, put a piece of paper (for test !! )
between leafs and isolate them, or readjust gap to "working size"

Greetings from Croatia

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from dontknowsquat:

I have a Buck Rogers and a problem. I think the local techs are trying to rob me @ $90 an hour. It powers up, lights up, even starts a game and somewhat scores . But I have no power to the flippers, bumpers, out hole, or pop bumpers. When I engage the tilt relay near the game over relay the lights on the playfield go out.

If you engage the tilt relay it is normal for the game to go dead as it "tilts". I would check your power supply and make sure everything on your driver board it seated securely. It sounds like you either have a blown fuse of your PF/solenoids are not connected properly. Be careful fiddling with too many switches. You may misalign more than you fix.

You have two molex connectors under the PF that need to be connected and the following provides a good visual for how the back box should be connected.

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/

#10 9 years ago

When I engage the tilt relay near the game over relay the lights on the playfield go out.

Correct operation for a Gottlieb pin.

$90.00/hr for specialized repair might be low. Depends if mileage is charged. Take a car to a dealer for repair and see the hourly rate.

#11 9 years ago

goes from first ball to second then to third and then game over after about 10 hits.

Does it means you can start game ( with "forcing" game over relay ? )

In this case does ANY solenoid works ?

#12 9 years ago

I think I am making progress. Got the game to reset and all the bumpers , flippers etc. all work. By the numbers: push credit , plunger, letter slot for B U C K. Pop bumper ... reset ball two . Still haven't hit the ball nor has it exited playfield. Hit ball and take down two targets , hit again ... reset ball three. Send up top to get a letter ... game over . Just went through its progression from ball 1 to ball 2 to ball 3 then game over . While should still be playing on ball one.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

Outhole SW probably have VERY small gap, put a piece of paper (for test !! )
between leafs and isolate them, or readjust gap to "working size"

Did you try - this ??

#14 9 years ago

Well all acknowledge, for the cro know . lol well that worked and I thank you, however; now on to the next problem. The assembly in the middle top of pf where you hit the other ball against a metal yoke . When I hit it , it doesn't reset. Looking under pf I notice the assembly has for lack of a better word, teeth. Don't know if I am missing a spring or if it is something else.

#15 9 years ago

That would be the Gottlieb exclusive Vari-Target. Put gamein switch test and verify switch activation at each "step". Then go to solenoid test and see if the reset solenoid energizes. Use standard troubleshooting techniques to repair.

#16 9 years ago

As Mr Bally stated, go through the switch/coil test to make sure all is well in that department. If the coil doesn't fire either your under PF transistor which drives the reset failed (TIP115 you can swap it out with a TIP36C) or the corresponding transistor on the driver board (L17) failed. From what I have heard typically the transistor under the PF fails and takes out the transistor on the driver board.

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/s1drv2.jpg

If the coil fires under self test, it could just be that your target is dirty/misadjusted. Here is a great video on how to readjust

#17 9 years ago

From my experience 90% of the problems resulting from (unnecessary) adjustment.

BTW....great video

#18 9 years ago

Yeah, mine was knocked all out of whack. My bracket was all bent and it was not hitting its spots. I got that sorted out and it's still not working. The video helped a lot in getting it dialed in properly. Also helped a local guys fix his (too big a gap in his).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Scranton, PA
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-luck-with-buck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.