• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170414_145022 (resized).jpg
20170414_145014 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I was trying to fix my poorly done flipper rebuild (they drooped afterwards), and I tightened everything up.

Started playing a game and midway through ball 1, the left flipper no longer responds. Getting out my multimeter, between the blades on the right flipper switch there is 30 volts AC. On the left side there is 5 volts AC.

Looking at the schematic it is only the left flipper switch that is between power and the left flipper coil. I have looked at the jones plug where the flippers connect, and there too between the "pins" for the left flipper there is only 5 volts.

Does this mean I have some sort of ground issue somewhere, or possibly a broken wire?

20170414_145014 (resized).jpg20170414_145014 (resized).jpg

20170414_145022 (resized).jpg20170414_145022 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Williams Argosy

#4 6 years ago

Here is great Flipper rebuild resource.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Since you were just looking at the flipper rebuild. I would focus their 1st.
1. Check for loose wires broken solder joints. (A little tug). The B-W and RED.
2. Unplug the Jones plug for the flipper and clean.
3. While Jones plug is unplugged check b-w and Yellow continuity Between flipper button and Jones plug
4. While Jones plug is unplugged check b-w continuity Between Jone plug and left flipper coil.

Not related to your issue but can improve flipper strength.
Both flippers RED wire also flows through the Tilt Relay, Reset Relay and Game Over Relay. (See Schematic for wire colors.
Ensure that these are clean and are make a good connection.

#5 6 years ago

ArgosySK Taking your advice I was able to test the continuity. Everything checks out from the left flipper switch to the jones plug. But the jones plug itself is a bit weird, and I am hoping you can test on your machine if the same results happen.

When I test continuity from the Black-White wire of the jones plug holder to the Left Flipper Coil, I get nothing. So I tried the Brown-White wire of the jones plug holder to the Right Flipper coil, and I get continuity (which makes sense). However, if I test continuity from the Brown-White wire of the jones plug holder to the Left Flipper coil, I also get continuity. The wire on the Left Flipper coil is very obviously the Black-White.

Could you test to see if your Brown-White wires gets continuity to the Left Flipper coil? It just seems odd to me that, that would happen.

I was able to run a test wire from the Black-White wire of the jones plug to the Left Flilpper Coil, and indeed the flipper comes alive again. So to me that means there must be a break in it somwhere, but does not explain the Brown-White continuity.

#6 6 years ago

Well I found the issue. One of the jones plugs way in the back of the machine was not seated all the way. So making sure it was making complete contact solved this issue. Now onto my last Argosy problem I finally have a 100% working machine. The dreaded ball count up, but will transition to another thread for that discussion.

Thanks again for the continuity idea, would not have eventually found this would that spark of insight.

#7 6 years ago

Glad I could help. Have fun and play on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Unisex
$ 34.99
Cleaner
Pinball Pro
Cleaner
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-left-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.