(Topic ID: 283954)

No lead paint in pinball (1980+ Home test)

By SantaEatsCheese

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201216_171649 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I tested all my pins, playfields, and non vinyl cabinet art with home test kits and found no detectible lead present (tip turns red when detected).

Cabinets and playfields tested: 1980 Black Knight, 2020 R&M, 1993 ST:TNG, 2017 TNA,

Playfields tested: 1978 Dragon, 1995 AFM.

I have not personally been tested for lead poisoning, but began to think I may have been exposed sanding down an old AFM playfield for an overlay (don't do that). Long story short, no lead present.

Now I obviously have not tested every pinball machine ever, but I tested what I had on hand and all was good with my totally non-professional home tests.

20201216_171649 (resized).jpg20201216_171649 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

I should use that on my fingers after a day of soldering, yikes.

I actually had my blood drawn years ago when I worked on pinball part time (lot of board work) and also reloaded/shot ammo a lot for another job.

My blood lead levels were a bit elevated. No intervention required but just trying to be proactively safe about it. I did and got checked a year later and things improved.

I wouldn’t expect to see much lead in the paints used on pinball machines but I’m wondering how far back we’d have to go to see them on cabinets if they were ever used.

After all, at one point tilt sensors were made out of mercury.

#3 3 years ago

Lead paint was banned in 1978

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

After all, at one point tilt sensors were made out of mercury.

That was only briefly, something like 5 machines or so by Gottlieb. It was not popular or standard. That’s just a fake fact unfortunately. I’ve heard it a lot more lately and it bugs me. The old “ball and circuit” has worked in some variation for 70 years Mercury was just a flash in the pan with “the latest and greatest” at the time.

Quoted from ktuhde:

Yep! The way cabinets from the 60s and 70s flake off tells you they’re definitely lead paint. If they taste sweet that’s also a bad sign

But unless you’re working with EMs you’re fine. Lead paint was not popular for finely detailed work. Just fast large batches like commercial jobs, such as cabinets!

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing your results. But, maybe add date(s) to thread title to clarify?

I work on EMs and I have some lead test kits, but have been too lazy to use them.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Thanks for sharing your results. But, maybe add date(s) to thread title to clarify?
    I work on EMs and I have some lead test kits, but have been too lazy to use them.

Done!

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from ktuhde:

Not for commercial use, though.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

That was only briefly, something like 5 machines or so by Gottlieb.

My Williams Mardi Gras and Tom Tom have have mercury switches in them. I have a few other games from that era that probably have them also (haven't checked).

#9 3 years ago

I have sanded back 1978 joker poker, 1975 el dorado and 1977 centigrade 37 cabinets. I wore a mask. Didn't realise lead would be an issue. What precautions should I be taking in the future?

#10 3 years ago

I use citrus stripper to remove paint from my EM cabinets, it gets 99% of it off. But I never tested for lead.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from kimbleseven:

I have sanded back 1978 joker poker, 1975 el dorado and 1977 centigrade 37 cabinets. I wore a mask. Didn't realise lead would be an issue. What precautions should I be taking in the future?

If you are worried or anyone else wants to check older games an 8 pack of test kits is $25 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/3M-717834209102DUPE-LeadCheck-Swabs-8-Pack/dp/B008BK15PU

I wouldn't sweat it too much but make sure you don't sand anything with lead inside.

#12 3 years ago

I tested my Drop-A-Card (1971) several years ago and it tested negative for lead.

I worked in auto-body in 84-85 and every can of car paint had a "Contains Lead" warning label. I sanded down a lot of cars back then and I'm still kicking. I wouldn't sweat it if you've sanded down a suspect cabinet and are worried if you poisoned yourself. Lead is way more dangerous to small children than adults.

Also, I'd be more worried about using or (especially) working in an indoor pistol range. Imagine how much lead dust is floating around...

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from HandsOfStone:

Also, I'd be more worried about using or (especially) working in an indoor pistol range. Imagine how much lead dust is floating around...

Studies have been done on that, and the results are not good.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Studies have been done on that, and the results are not good.

What studies?

If you have evidence, post it.

#15 3 years ago

I tested a 1969 Williams- Smart Set pinball machine. No lead present. You never know, best to get a test kit. Super easy and cheap.

#16 3 years ago

I tested my Drop-A-Card (1971) several years ago and it tested negative for lead.
    I worked in auto-body in 84-85 and every can of car paint had a "Contains Lead" warning label. I sanded down a lot of cars back then and I'm still kicking. I wouldn't sweat it if you've sanded down a suspect cabinet and are worried if you poisoned yourself. Lead is way more dangerous to small children than adults.

Yeah... my whole concern was that my dumbass sanded down an AFM playfield... inside... in the basement... which is 1/2 my kids primary playroom. Luckily, no lead. You can see my concern when I thought about what I may have done.

1 week later
    #17 3 years ago

I tested my Drop-A-Card (1971) several years ago and it tested negative for lead... Lead is way more dangerous to small children than adults.

This is very true! Lead is like mercury, the danger is severely overhyped and even hobby usage is extremely unlikely to amount to dangerous levels. Work/commercial environments are where I’d be worried.
    Worth mentioning that soldering is one of the of the more dangerous as that is direct lead vapors and that stuff can add up way quicker than you think.

I’m shocked that the DAC cabinet tested negative for lead considering the paint flakes off exactly like lead paint does..

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Worth mentioning that soldering is one of the of the more dangerous as that is direct lead vapors and that stuff can add up way quicker than you think.

That's not lead vapor coming off your soldering, it's the flux. Not that you should breathe that either, but unless you're soldering >1500F, it's safe.

Don't hold the leaded solder and then lick your fingers, of course. Wear gloves or wash your hands before eating.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

That's not lead vapor coming off your soldering, it's the flux. Not that you should breathe that either, but unless you're soldering >1500F, it's safe.
    Don't hold the leaded solder and then lick your fingers, of course. Wear gloves or wash your hands before eating.

Hell - not only do I lick my fingers after soldering, I lick what I soldered, to make sure I don't have a cold solder joint!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-lead-paint-in-pinball?hl=ktuhde and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.