Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by 29REO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tubular-Lock-Picking-005 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Any suggestions for getting inside back panel besides drilling out locks. Bally bingo County Fair.

#2 3 years ago

You basically have two options. Either pick the lock or drill it.

If it's a single-bitted lock, it should be fairly easy to rake the pins and unlock it. A double-bitted lock is difficult to pick, but one that's old, stiff, and full of grime is going to be really tough. If it's a tubular lock, you will need a special tubular lock pick set ($50 or so, and with that, tubular locks are probably going to be easier to pick than a double-bitted lock).

Normally, I'll make a few attempts at picking. But if that fails, I just drill it. For most situations, the lock is standard and easily replaceable for a few dollars. The only lock I've encountered that I had to drill out and haven't found a good replacement for is the one used in classic stern backboxes.

#3 3 years ago

Judging from looking at a picture of a County Fair, the lock your asking about does look like a single bitted lock. However it also looks like it’s a stud instead of a cam meaning that if you could pick it you would have to hold that position to “unthread” the stud to remove one of the side rails. When it comes to single bit locks it pays to save keys as you might get lucky and find one that fits. You could try posting in the bingo thread and ask any County Fair owners what key number their machine has. I remember back in the ‘70’s a guy I knew carried a #217 key for just such an occasion and it worked on all the Lotta Fun’s that he ever came across (about a hundred) but I don’t know how many Bally bingos may have used this particular key. Drilling that one won’t be a simple task and I hate drilling original locks. You could try to access it from the inside through the back door and try to pry off the cage of the square nut that it likely threads into and unthread the nut and IF that works take it to a locksmith to get a new key made. Both sides will likely use the same key. Good luck.

#4 3 years ago

29REO,,,it's not the picture glass locks,, it's the back panel behind machine. thanks. Loosing patience, maybe be drilling soon, need to get inside.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from blake44:

29REO,,,it's not the picture glass locks,, it's the back panel behind machine. thanks. Loosing patience, maybe be drilling soon, need to get inside.

Are there any numbers? I have several hundred keys across eras so if you have any idea what lock brand or number (some of them have it stamped) then I may be able to make a copy.

#6 3 years ago

Drilling would be cheaper, but this works like a champ.

Tubular-Lock-Picking-005 (resized).jpgTubular-Lock-Picking-005 (resized).jpg
    #7 3 years ago

blake44 Sorry I took “back panel” to mean the light board behind the back glass. My mistake. If it’s just the back door locks then they’re just regular cam locks. You can drill them. Replacements are cheap.
    chad I’m digging that lock pick tool for barrel / tubular locks.

#8 3 years ago

drill baby drill..........sorry had to say it.

#9 3 years ago

blake44 - and here is your first lesson when asking for help.

It is VERY easy to get bad or incorrect information unless you use the correct terminology.

Same as asking someone to replace the tyres on your car but saying "please fit a new round thing that steers the car". Don't blame the mechanic if he fits a new steering wheel!

I have seen this time and again when people come on here with vague requests and almost no idea what they are actually NEEDING to ask.

By 'back panel' (you mean) - back box or headbox.

'Back panel' could be anything from the actual glass to the swing out panel that holds the lamps but not the actual cabinet box itself.

#10 3 years ago

Take a picture of the lock. If it's a metal back panel like EM pinball a flathead will get you in there in seconds. Hammer the metal back into place if you deformed it a little. Picking locks is scary easy with some basic tools, especially the tubular ones.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from 29REO:

blake44 Sorry I took “back panel” to mean the light board behind the back glass. My mistake. If it’s just the back door locks then they’re just regular cam locks. You can drill them. Replacements are cheap.
    chad I’m digging that lock pick tool for barrel / tubular locks.

I used one to get into a few slot machines. If I had to guess time wise 2 minutes or less is what it took. Not bad to have if you get a lot of games with unknown tube locks ( Gematic)

#12 3 years ago

chad Chad, that tool could be an absolute life saver on some games. For example, bingos from the ‘70’s have a barrel lock above the back glass to lock it in place. That lock is specially made and has an engineered back and mini cam set up. It’s hard to describe but if you drill it then there is NO replacement. Just think how sweet it would be to get it out with that tool and be able to take it to a locksmith to get new keys made. So thanks for posting that. Definitely a must-have for every pinball repair tool box.

blake44 You didn’t say if you had the key for the side rail to remove the back glass. If you do then you could just remove the glass and lower the light panel down and have access to the machine screws on the back door locks.

#13 3 years ago

You are welcome @ 29REO. A nice clean way to gain access.

#14 3 years ago

i drilled the locks today,,,still didn't get the game to start... tilt light on...it played the day i found it and bought it. took legs off to transport it, played when i set it up in shop, one game, then haven't been able to get another started since....i'll be plugging along...

#15 3 years ago

You need to post in the bingo forum. The tilt light is on because the Anti-Cheat relay is not pulled in. Pushing in the Anti-Cheat and pulling out the Tilt relay will return the game to play status. Could be the start relay isn’t pulling in, the coin switch is stuck down or the cams motor isn’t running or the Jones plug from the front door isn’t plugged in or maybe a broken wire...you get the picture. You need a schematic. I’m not familiar with County Fair but bingos mostly go through the same start sequence.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.